What's new

The Next Game...

huggers

Site Supporter
Alias
Andy Hug
Incoherent Monday pinball ramble incoming. Since I've been into pinball I'm forever buying and selling my games on. I rarely stick with a game for more than a few months/weeks... Days in some cases! I tend to get a game out of my system and move on fast. I'm yet to find the elusive 'keeper'. Been close but always wanted to try something else. I guess this is in part down to money, I can only really allow myself one pricey pin at a time, maybe two 'budget' titles but yeah, it's generally one in one out and I have to keep things fresh. I played the **** off of Star Trek in the last week or so (great game, FAST) and already my eyes are tentatively wandering towards the next game. How many others like this? Erratically buying, playing, selling? Do you flip games fast or once bought do you hold onto them?

Definitely did do that mate. I don’t think there is such a thing as a keeper. No matter what game, if it’s you’re only game, it’ll eventually tire. The only reason my revolving door policy stopped is the fact the kids came along and I can no longer afford to do it!!

I've found my recent purchase of a VP cabinet is scratching my itch to play new games. I've been on it nearly every day since I got it a few weeks ago and have to say it has been fantastic. Besides the obvious top rated titles, I'm playing others like Jurassic Park and Congo which I would never have considered owning, but turns out I really like them. I ideally want to get down to one real machine and the VP cab. I know virtual pinball isn't for everyone but it is what got me into Pinball in the first place. Once I'm playing I forget about it not being real and get swept up in the shots, music and DMD just like a real table.

Quite the opposite for me - mostly hold on to my pins for years:

Time machine bought 2010 = 8 years
Hi Deal (Bally EM) 2012 = 6 years
NIB TWD Pro 2015 = 3 years
NIB AC/DC Pro Vault bought 2017 and keeping forever, just love it more than any pin I've ever played

Do you play them every day?

Same game, every day, will always eventually get tiresome.

I don't enjoy selling games. Like them all for their merits and enjoy returning to a game i've not played in a little while (weeks maybe) to find it's better than i remembered and i'm finally learning the next 'layer' of the rules which all adds to the enjoyment.

I consider myself a keeper of pins. I've only ever let go of one machine. Actually no, two. Oh hang on, 3. Bugger, 5 !! 2 of those were purchased purely for NERG though.

Oh forget this. I guess no pin is a keeper.

I don't enjoy selling games. Like them all for their merits and enjoy returning to a game i've not played in a little while (weeks maybe) to find it's better than i remembered and i'm finally learning the next 'layer' of the rules which all adds to the enjoyment.

Yeah I play them a lot in a short space of time I guess. I guess there are only a handful of pins that can work long term in a one game collection. It's all good though, I enjoy them and move them on, my games room is always fresh with a new title and I've enjoyed nearly all the games I've had.

You're right to some extent. I keep thinking it's time to move on from Time Machine and Hi Deal. I'm thinking of putting them up on the forum later this year.

Trouble is I don't like selling pins - it's a hassle and also those particular machines were the 2nd and 3rd I ever bought and have been real faithful friends to me.

And even now, even though it's the Sterns that get all my attention, I still enjoy the odd game on those old pins. Some of my friends are fond of both of them too, and that counts.

Interesting thread. I only have two machines which I lavish time money and effort on. I’ve only ever owned five machines in all the time I’ve been in the hobby.
Yes, I do get bored of them and wish I had more than two at any one time. The three that have passed through my hands I have hated selling. Like losing a child !
I have space for five machines but money prevents me from getting up to that total.
It’s got me thinking...
If I went for the option of eventually having five machines (dreaming here), what would be the best five machines for ‘home play’
The five machines would need to provide the player with:
- variety
- longevity (no changes required for five years)
- appeal to guests

In short, what are the five ‘desert island pinball machines’ in your opinion ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I guess it is down to the amount of time you have to play your games. If like me you have no time you approach any game with fresh eyes every time you play it. This is how i got to keep my dw for 15 years...

it’s too early for me to tell as i’ve not had anything for over a year yet. at this stage i can’t imagine parting with any. especially ones i’ve worked on. i’m sure i’ll change my view given time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I have some really serious OCD when it comes to pins. If it's not in absolutely perfect condition then I'm ok to part with it because I get fixated by any flaws while playing. If it's in perfect condition I can't even consider selling. I suppose to an extent I'm more of a collector than a player. They only get played about an hour or two per week...sometimes a lot less than that. We're hoping to move to a smaller house this year (never thought I'd ever say that!) so we'll see what happens with the pins. I can't see myself ever selling TWD though.

Agree that’s why it’s best to have a few machines to choose from.

Some 30 plus years (Centaur) others one ball was enough to know this game ain't for me (Bugs Bunny)

Back
Top Bottom