What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The metal wires that sit behind the flippers?

Wiredworm

Registered
So, a couple of questions on the part highlighted below.

Picture5.png

1. Do they have a proper name?
2. What are they actually meant to do?

I have a feeling that during the repaint and clearing of my playfield at least one of the holes where these are fitted might have been covered up. Just wondering if it's worth the hassle of sorting out so I can refit them in place or if they even serve a purpose.

I don't recall seeing them on more modern machines.

I've always known them as biff bars. They're there to stop the ball bouncing back into play off the apron - whether accidentally or from a death save

Cheers Wayne.

I did a bit more reading online and they seem a bit superfluous on this machine because the plastic apron means that much of the ball bounce is reduced anyway. I'm not sure I fancy the idea of taking a drill to the playfield to reopen the holes (i've double-checked and Chris did such a fantastic job that he actually repaired some damage that, erm, wasn't really damage at all).

The only downside to this is it means there will be two tiny holes left behind but as i'm fitting a protector anyway and they're behind the flippers I can't say i'm that bothered. They're noticable to me but only because i'm pawing over the playfield at the moment. Once everything is back in place they won't stand out.

They were also known as 'snubber rails'. I think there were some games, e.g. EarthShaker, that had spaces in the artwork for them, even though they weren't drilled for/fitted.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom