What's new

The E-Bay Seller In Hove (Tobin?)

Clive

Registered
There is a frequent e-bay seller in Hove who I think others have referred to as 'Tobin'. I'm interested in one of the machines he's currently selling, but am unlikely to be able to view. Happy to take that chance in principle, but can I assume he is 'known, tried and tested' ? He does seem to turn over a lot of machines, so guess it's a semi-commercial operation?

There is a frequent e-bay seller in Hove who I think others have referred to as 'Tobin'. I'm interested in one of the machines he's currently selling, but am unlikely to be able to view. Happy to take that chance in principle, but can I assume he is 'known, tried and tested' ? He does seem to turn over a lot of machines, so guess it's a semi-commercial operation?

I doubt the tax man knows! - I got a game from him and would use again - someone else on here not so lucky with a ToM - the three games he has on eBay right now look good although the GB is a little pricey in my view. I was interested in the Star Trek.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I doubt the tax man knows! - I got a game from him and would use again - someone else on here not so lucky with a ToM - the three games he has on eBay right now look good although the GB is a little pricey in my view. I was interested in the Star Trek.

I’d add though - I’d go down there and view it before I paid. Which is what I’d did before.

Last edited by a moderator:
View the game before you hand over a penny

I have bought from him, my game was fairly described. But there is a ToM story on here where someone was left feeling totally shafted

He mostly seems to deal in newish and high end titles these days. With prices to match. I think he learnt his lesson from a few years ago when he was he selling tired old games and being somewhat artistic with descriptions .... to say the least :rolleyes:

Best to see before buying if you can but I think you would be prob be ok these days.

Would be interested in reading about the ToM story....

Bought my TZ from him around late October last year, which previously came from another member on here. Was as described, and he was more than willing to suffer my inane newbie questions, even going as far as to tell me that if I wasn't sure then I should have a think about it and come back another time, so no hard sell. Was very enthusiastic about pinballs in general, wanting to demo all of his other machines, etc.

The TZ wasn't cheap, I suspect it was towards the top end of pricing, but was (is) fully loaded with mods - and I've got no complaints about it.

The guy must do a lot of business as he has/had a lot of premium stuff - like Tron LE, TAFG, two (!) Alien LEs, etc.

I've dealt with Tobin and know where a lot of the high end/LE games come from. They're usually as described and tobin was easy and fair enough to deal with. I wouldn't visit to look them over due to distance.

I'd also tend to say that the people buying LE's and collector versions tend to mostly know each other in terms of cliques and I'd say generally everything is as it should be. My 2 cents.

Found the posts from Feb 2016 discussing the ToM (repaired by lukewells), which make for pretty grim reading if taken at face value.

To be honest, however, I would probably feel compelled to go and see any pin I'd buy in person - unless its a bargain - simply because it'd be a reasonable sum of money to lose all because I can't be bothered to hire a van for a day, and I'm not technically competent at fixing them anyway. Other people seem quite happy to buy stuff on eBay sight unseen.

The ToM story is old news.... I've since bought another machine from him and all was well. Thanked him for it too.

As above, tends to sell higher end, newer machines these days anyway but as always, inspection and pickup is always best, whoever the seller.

Yup, agreed.

As said - I've got zero complaints about my TZ. I wasn't robbed, I asked a million questions, spent an unreasonable amount of time in the test menus, even queried a LED that was out - fretting over it like it was symptomatic of something worse. Quite honestly I'm sure I would've driven most people up the wall with my inane "my first pinball machine" fretting.

Tobin suffered all of this whilst telling me that if I didn't feel comfortable buying what was ultimately something that would need tinkering on occasion, then I should go away have a think about it (not before inviting me to play his other stuff) etc. The transaction was as smooth and pressure free as I could've hoped for.

All - thanks for the rapid feedback. I was aware of some previous grumbles, but the weight of your experience seems positive notwithstanding the general 'buyer beware' caveat. Really helpful. Now it's easy - I just have to decide 'do I really want it' !!

Problem is for me, I likely see it, I likely want it. I can count on one hand the things I’ve gone to see and not bought. Maybe I’ve been lucky.

If you were buying an 8 grand car...

Problem is for me, I likely see it, I likely want it. I can count on one hand the things I’ve gone to see and not bought. Maybe I’ve been lucky.

I bought two games I hadn’t seen, both as described. Rest I went to see, couple of them were not quite as described but close enough.

I've been and seen a game and bought it and it wasn't as described... rule #1 - know what your looking for... :rofl:

Tobin is a good guy he doesn’t come on here as he can’t be bothered with all the tital tatel I have bought from him before his description was spot on he doesn’t deal in older stuff now as is technical ability is limited but his newer stuff is spot on if in doubt go view he is very accommodating but tells it as it is which in my view is always best he brings a lot of stuff over from Europe and sells at the right price which can only be a good thing

If you were buying an 8 grand car...

To be honest if I’m buying a car be it 3500 or 35000 I’ve the mind to buy it before seeing it, hence what’s the point viewing / unless red lights go off, I’m always having green lights :)

In addition, the pinball network is incredibly small in the UK, not the same could be said for car traders.

I've sold an item to Tobin on eBay. When I saw his name pop up I was a bit worried that something dodgy might occur. But nothing negative to report. Smooth sailing. Thumbs up.

I had my first Sopranos from him, almost had the SS as well which I wish I did as it was mint in a new cab for £3.5k
This was 2 years ago and no sign of any new machines, shame as he used to import a lot of the older stuff, I have no interest in the new stuff as they dont seem to hold value
The only problem I had was reversing up his drive :)

I had my first Sopranos from him, almost had the SS as well which I wish I did as it was mint in a new cab for £3.5k
This was 2 years ago and no sign of any new machines, shame as he used to import a lot of the older stuff, I have no interest in the new stuff as they dont seem to hold value
The only problem I had was reversing up his drive :)
bought a couple of pins from tobin,went to see and pick up myself so no problems for me as I have a van, I took the easy option and reversed down the drive:thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom