What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The "C" Word

Hold on folks. Can you separate out the story from another mismanaged gov project
FROM companies who do consultancy
FROM folks who are consultants
Because most people who do the work as a consultant are employed and earning salaries.

In one way or another, I was a consultant for 15 years. Being paid to do very specific work. Either someone else charged me out or I was my own agent. In all situations, I brought a skill that the company didn’t have and most likely didn’t need after the work I did was complete.

On a few occasions, I was the trusted SME managing a large consultant company who where doing the delivery but the damage from the initial vendor selection and contract stage was usually done. It was my job to recognise what they should be doing and make it happen.
The contract usually has in it the cost of each type of resource.
Mismanaged consultants are usually more expensive than mismanaged staff on a day cost but easier to let go.

Mismanaged gov projects get us all annoyed. Government incompetence at awarding contracts is very annoying. Consultancies who the abuse that are also annoying. But consultants are not evil.
Totally agree, I know tons of fantastic consultants and contracting is there full time job, They all have a skill not many others have and charge fairly for this knowledge / work. But 7k a day.... for an app is taking the mick. That is pure stupidly / who you know on government part and pure greed on contractors part, like others have said the money could be spent sooooo much better and efficiently yet its just ****ed away into a few ppl's pockets as usual. Reminds me of the new tube line nightmare.....

Totally agree, I know tons of fantastic consultants and contracting is there full time job, They all have a skill not many others have and charge fairly for this knowledge / work. But 7k a day.... for an app is taking the mick.

I totally agree and my post was saying the same thing. £7k a day, even rarely used, sounds hard to justify for someone skill set given the problem they needed to solve.
This is a contracting issue, a consultancy company issue and a contract management issue.

I think we need to get a consultancy firm in to check on the consultants
That probably does go on but that firm it self charges 7k a day and only give the contracts to there 7k a day buddies :D so we are now at 14k a day to write a few lines of code :D

That probably does go on but that firm it self charges 7k a day and only give the contracts to there 7k a day buddies :D so we are now at 14k a day to write a few lines of code :D

Ok, ok.
I will write 1 line of code for £1K and do a 3 lines of code for the price of 2 discount. How does that sound?

Got my second bout of covid this week. it’s absolutely terrible this time. Ive never felt so ill. tues & weds i was just wiped out. My daughter got it after visiting a school friends house party sat night. she felt poorly sunday and off school monday. 1/2 the 6th form now off with it !!

I started feeling it monday. Today i’ve lost all sense of smell can’t smell anything at all.
Lat flows not showing a positive, but since found out they’re not very effective on the current omnicron strain going around. Even tried the latest lat flow test from a medical friend that’s supposed to include it, but again zilch!

Watch out folks.

Got my second bout of covid this week. it’s absolutely terrible this time. Ive never felt so ill. tues & weds i was just wiped out. My daughter got it after visiting a school friends house party sat night. she felt poorly sunday and off school monday. 1/2 the 6th form now off with it !!

I started feeling it monday. Today i’ve lost all sense of smell can’t smell anything at all.
Lat flows not showing a positive, but since found out they’re not very effective on the current omnicron strain going around. Even tried the latest lat flow test from a medical friend that’s supposed to include it, but again zilch!

Watch out folks.

Sorry to hear that, hope you feel better soon.

Frustrating that there are no plans for boosters outside of the specified groups. Friends in the States already have their bivalent Moderna boosters.

Yeah I broke my foot last week, went to A&E, caught covid.
It’s ****ing awful. Like you say Alan. Taste and smell gone. But the headache was so intense I thought about running out into the traffic to make it stop 🤣.

My mate's also got it, plus a college at work.

Mate recons his first time and lost his smell. I didn't beleive that at first but interesting to hear same!

I keep trying to get it so I can take some time off from work but so far no luck. My wife and kids have all had it but I seem to be immune.

Everyone around us has had it but not me and the Mrs🤞
Having a booster next week due to my ‘compromised’ immune system after having had cancer etc but I never get unwell with flu and colds🤷‍♂️

Quick recovery for you guys and hopefully your smell and taste come back quick as well.

Had it July so hoping I'm good for this round.
When did you last have it Alan? Hope you feel better soon

Surprised everyone isn’t being chased for the latest booster. We had ours a couple of weeks ago. Felt ****ter afterwards than I did when I had Covid. Wouldn’t recommend Moderna.

Hope you recover quickly.

Just got a second bout of it.

First time was last Christmas in to new year despite having the booster jab 3 weeks before! It put paid to Christmas day and robotgreg bash. Had a date for booster and flu jab for next week which won't be happening (I'm informed you must be free of covid for more than 10 days before your jab).

This time it's put paid to the not another birthday tournament. 😭

I've heard that for Moderna John. I think it's a bigger dose vs pfizer. Was booked for nov 1st but i might find a walkin now!

With me its a sporadic cough that is lingering as well as not quite feeling right. Never lost my sense of taste. Worst bit was the first 2 days with a bit of pain, and 4 nights of not being able to sleep properly. Got negative tests last Monday and Tuesday so I've been able to catch up on things, main one is the next stage of me buying another small shop.

Dans come back from the UK open really ill, hopefully no one else caught it there. I'm okay at the moment.

With me its a sporadic cough that is lingering as well as not quite feeling right. Never lost my sense of taste. Worst bit was the first 2 days with a bit of pain, and 4 nights of not being able to sleep properly. Got negative tests last Monday and Tuesday so I've been able to catch up on things, main one is the next stage of me buying another small shop.
Ive got that at the moment... Misses was in hospital (as happens with every cold she catches) being a Brittle Asthmatic... however Littleun brought it in the house and she still aint great. Covid tests keep showing negative, however it;s as bad as when i had it before... if not worse... but not covid... Hmmm...

I felt **** last week with headaches and a cough as did my wife but we showed up negative on two LFTs.
Her back got bad again, but we seem to be over it a lot better than the time before.
A lot of teachers at work have been suffering but not one has shown up positive.
In the absence of positive tests it could be something else, but it sure didn’t feel like a regular cold.

I felt **** last week with headaches and a cough as did my wife but we showed up negative on two LFTs.
Her back got bad again, but we seem to be over it a lot better than the time before.
A lot of teachers at work have been suffering but not one has shown up positive.
In the absence of positive tests it could be something else, but it sure didn’t feel like a regular cold.
We’ve just got over six weeks of a chest infection that was worse than the Omicron infection we had last Xmas. I didn’t even get a cough with Omicron - with the chest infection, I was coughing for about three weeks.

Seeing this thread reminded me to book in for my Covid Booster. Was really surprised was literally able to book for tomorrow.

I read we are expected to have a bad normal flu season this year because everyone's immunity is low due to the last few years of covid isolation. Boots do a vaccine for £10 if people aren't eligible for a free NHS one though, so it's really not hard to avoid catching it if people are so inclined.

I read we are expected to have a bad normal flu season this year because everyone's immunity is low due to the last few years of covid isolation. Boots do a vaccine for £10 if people aren't eligible for a free NHS one though, so it's really not hard to avoid catching it if people are so inclined.
It's not hard to get a flu vaccine and is a no brainer for me. However, flu vaccines are only about 50% effective at best.

We were at a punk festival last weekend at Butlins.
All pinhead. So far 3 have covid- not me but starting to be not quite right

Back
Top Bottom