What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Terminator 2 target

Idy10

Registered
Help please
This has probably already been covered somewhere , could someone explain how the drop target on the T2 works and what does the small coil on the side do , the main coil on the bottom works in test mode the other small one does nothing switch to game mode and the target doesn’t work at all any help would be appreciated
Thanks

The single drop target on Terminator 2 is what's known as an 'intelligent' or 'smart' target, which the machine can position up or down as it requires. In this case, the target has a conventional reset coil to lift the target (the unit is used simply like this in some games), and the small coil mounted on its additional bracket is fitted with a 'finger' plate to push the target backwards so it can drop. In this form it's also seen on Fish Tales, Star Trek Next Gen, etc. Some of the later ones even have a specific 'Target Test' which repeatedly raises and lowers the target.

A common mechanical problem with this dropper mechanism is the holder for the small coil. Listed as 'Frame & Eyelet', it's supplied ready to have the relay plate fitted, after which the long retaining arm is bent around to both securely hold the plate and control its resting position, and that of the dropping finger. The closer this is to the target, the better. Star Trek often had this retainer break off, leaving the plate/finger far adrift and the small coil working harder than intended. And introducing the danger of having the plate pulled completely off the frame if brushed against while working under the playfield. I've also seen the dropping attachment itself break, meaning nothing touches the target (below the playfield, anyway).

Last edited:
The single drop target on Terminator 2 is what's known as an 'intelligent' or 'smart' target, which the machine can position up or down as it requires. In this case, the target has a conventional reset coil to lift the target (the unit is used simply like this in some games), and the small coil mounted on its additional bracket is fitted with a 'finger' plate to push the target backwards so it can drop. In this form it's also seen on Fish Tales, Star Trek Next Gen, etc. Some of the later ones even have a specific 'Target Test' which repeatedly raises and lowers the target.

A common mechanical problem with this dropper mechanism is the holder for the small coil. Listed as 'Frame & Eyelet', it's supplied ready to have the relay plate fitted, after which the long retaining arm is bent around to both securely hold the plate and control the resting position of the plate, with the dropping finger attached. The closer this is to the target, the better. Star Trek often had this retainer break off, leaving the plate/finger far adrift and the small coil working harder than intended. And introducing the danger of having the plate pulled completely off the frame if brushed against while working under the playfield. I've also seen the dropping attachment itself break, meaning nothing touches the target.

As always jay a perfect description I wish I could describe as well as you
Here are some pics of a new one I have you can then compare hope this helps 207C47C4-A740-4D80-A94E-6DC68A4F20A6.jpeg114991DD-FB64-439C-8947-C90A41A3E6DB.jpegAF03833B-3BCF-425E-81DC-3DA1B251F0CC.jpeg

Yes post a pic of the complete pic of the mech
[/QUOTE
Morning
Attached is a photo hope it helps , if I manually push the target up using the coil I says up untill I push the small coil then it drops down again big coil works in test small one doesn’t (if it’s the knock down 12) if I set the game away with the target up ball hits goes down doesn’t come back up if I set the game away with target down is doesn’t come up , everything else in the game works perfect , frustrating is an understatement hope some of this makes sense

Thanks

Attachments

• 5FCB58C1-611A-435B-82F8-79F8F3700421.jpeg
    5FCB58C1-611A-435B-82F8-79F8F3700421.jpeg
    95.2 KB · Views: 17
Hi,

Knock Down will be the small coil, so it doesn't seem to be working. If you wish, you can check if power exists on its supply side (the Purple-green wire) by carefully and briefly connecting the other terminal (yellow wire) to ground, e.g. the cabinet earth braid. If there is power, and the winding is okay, the coil should energise. Or measure the supply terminal for 50v. And much the same at the return terminal.

As to the machines' indifference to the target at game start, apart from checking that the switch is alright, there may be a difficulty adjustment which when set to 'Easy' does allow a start with the target down, and as we see the machine can't lower it.

CHRIS B PINBALLS said:
As always jay a perfect description I wish I could describe as well as you
Thank you, Chris. I try to make things clear.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom