What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tell Us Something (Non Pinball Related) Interesting About Yourself

In 1997 I went to Black Rock desert in Nevada the watch the land speed record attempts by Richard Noble's Thrust SSC team and Craig Breedlove's Spirit of America team and ended up part of the SSC team (in a super minor role).

Talking about forgotten memories... We supplied the engines for Thrust SSC and once they'd fitted them, they came to our work and did a stationary engine test run with them. Whilst they were in our test bay I got to see thrust close up (chassis and wheels, only without bodywork in place) and met the thrust team! :cool:

I was in the same year at the same college (around 110 in each year) at university as Stewart Lee (comedian), Anna Botting (Sky news), Samira Ahmed (Channel 4 news), Doug McCallum (ex MD of ebay UK) and most significantly @cooldan's sister, Sonia!
Also Al Murray (pub landlord) was there in 1st year when I was in 3rd year.

Studied accountancy in same class as Justine Greening (MP and cabinet member). Quite fancied her at the time 25 years ago, not so now!

I used to hold world record for Pang (Americans call it Buster Bros), since been beaten a few times! but I was listed in the Guiness Book of World Records Gamers Edition. Also have scores in top 10, mainly on tournament settings ie no extra men on Robotron, Joust, Defender, Gorf, Millipede and 1942. Went to US annual high score comp for a couple of years to set the scores where the year before I went they filmed a lot of the scenes from King of Kong. Met and recognised a lot of the people in the film. I am featured on one of the trading video game cards series set up by Walter Day. I know Martin Ayub is also on one.

I saw Biffy Clyro several times in their early days at small gigs. Thought at the time they'd end up as another obscure band that I really liked but would never get anywhere. Little did I know but to be fair, all the other bands I saw who I thought deserved to do really well, never did! Much prefer the early songs like 27, 57, Justboy than more recent stuff.

I made copies of Snow Patrols demo CD for them to send out to radio stations /record companies to get air play/record deals back in early 90s before everyone had a cd burner. Still have a copy of the CD somewhere..

I was in the pits at the Hungaroring when Michael Schumacher did his 20 "qualifing speed" laps to gain the lead and win the race (1998)

Represented Ireland at an international ten pin bowling tournament in 92

I was also an OLYMPIG silver medalist in 92

Last edited:
Interesting and fun topic.

For the last 8 years I have worked casually in professional fireworks and pyrotechnics. I'm a fully qualified senior pyrotechnician, hold a special ADR driving license to drive truck loads of explosives by road, and have designed and directed a number of multi-media shows incoporating fireworks.

This "weekend work" has allowed me to travel around the UK and Europe to be part of some of the most amazing outdoor events and entertainment you could imagine. Of course, your standard (boring) council displays and weddings have to go hand in hand with the good stuff, but I love it all.

...and yes before anyone asks, I do plan to "blow up" a pinball machine at some point, much like that Space Jam video! ;)

Interesting and fun topic.

For the last 8 years I have worked casually in professional fireworks and pyrotechnics. I'm a fully qualified senior pyrotechnician, hold a special ADR driving license to drive truck loads of explosives by road, and have designed and directed a number of multi-media shows incoporating fireworks.

This "weekend work" has allowed me to travel around the UK and Europe to be part of some of the most amazing outdoor events and entertainment you could imagine. Of course, your standard (boring) council displays and weddings have to go hand in hand with the good stuff, but I love it all.

...and yes before anyone asks, I do plan to "blow up" a pinball machine at some point, much like that Space Jam video! ;)

I was on the ferry back from the Isle of Man TT in 2015 with the pyro guys who did the show there... they didn't have the slightest interest in bikes which was a pleasant change after a fortnight of them and it was great chatting to them about their work and how much goes into it :thumbs:

I was on the ferry back from the Isle of Man TT in 2015 with the pyro guys who did the show there... they didn't have the slightest interest in bikes which was a pleasant change after a fortnight of them and it was great chatting to them about their work and how much goes into it :thumbs:

Yes there's a phenomenal amount of work by the whole team that goes into these things, sometimes months of it for the larger shows.

Great thread, I have no tales to compete with some stuff in here (Daz in Braveheart.... effing cool as !!) :). Anyways....

Scariest day of my life (still !) being washed out to sea in the Med on a broken pedalo when I was about 12. My brother fixed it and rescued us.
Met and chatted with Roland Orzabal and Curt Smith of Tears for Fears when I was 15. Was very star-struck at the time.
Released an electronic music CD called Venture. Don't look for it, was very limited edition...... :rolleyes:
Have produced advertising demos for UVI VST products and still regularly sell soundbanks of sampled classic vintage synths that I used to own before pinball pushed me to sell most of them.

Nothing too interesting, but there you go....

Last edited:
I have had Tony Robinson, Paul Martin (Flog It Program), Simon Groom (80s Blue Peter Presenter) and Emma Bridgewater (Pottery) all come into my shop for nose round over the years when they were in the area.

Simon Groom still is a very regular customer as he lives local!

Not exaclty interesting, but couldnt think of much else lol

Dunc

The House where Abi Titmuss filmed her infamous video with John Lesley is in the next road to me. My mate lives opposite and the 'paps' filmed from his bedroom window.

We're off to the Manchester one. Be sure to check out ShuffleDog in Leeds - Champion Pub, Spiderman, some more tables, arcades, shuffle boards and decnt drinks!
Nation Of Shoplifters (sic) also has a pinball in. Last time I looked it was WWF Wrestling.

Was when we were in in Dec, had a Ghostbusters prior to that tho!
I really need to haul my butt down there and play the WWF. I have no interest in it but there can't be that many in the UK. I think I will go in next Friday when it is half term.

I was once a very prolific identity thief. Just had a party with some old chums.

(i kid)

I really need to haul my butt down there and play the WWF. I have no interest in it but there can't be that many in the UK. I think I will go in next Friday when it is half term.
ohhhhhh yeeeeeeaaaahhhhhhh. WWF, or Royal Rumble as it's also known, is a fantastic game, highly undrrated in my opinion. the upper playfield was the predecessor to the lower one in ACDC, the main playfield has a jazillion shots and targets to aim for, the whole package is very satisfying. a brilliant first pin choice for anyone tempted. if it had had Giant Haystacks and Catweasel on the artwork instead of those American mincing ninnies, it could have set the world on fire. ok so i'm drunk and just woke up looking for more beer and i've lost my pants.

ohhhhhh yeeeeeeaaaahhhhhhh. WWF, or Royal Rumble as it's also known, is a fantastic game, highly undrrated in my opinion. the upper playfield was the predecessor to the lower one in ACDC, the main playfield has a jazillion shots and targets to aim for, the whole package is very satisfying. a brilliant first pin choice for anyone tempted. if it had had Giant Haystacks and Catweasel on the artwork instead of those American mincing ninnies, it could have set the world on fire. ok so i'm drunk and just woke up looking for more beer and i've lost my pants.
Sorry Dan, I should have said Wrestlemania.

Few random ones

- I lost my virginity on holiday and halfway through a cockroach ran up the girls back

- I spend 40hours a week assessing people who've tried to kill themselves or are planning on killing themselves

- One of mates, who used to pull pints in my local and played in goal for my Sunday league team, now plays cricket for Australia

Amongst other things:

- Involved in a PC/Console video game series that sold over 60m copies
- Involved in a single mobile game that won a BAFTA and was downloaded 28m times
- Had a trial for Leeds Utd as a youth (but didn't progress)
- Renown as one of the hardest/wildest partying people in the games industry (alas age caught up!)
- Met tons of film and sports celebs
- Travelled extensively
- Always fancied owning a pub and recently had thoughts of opening a bar/duelling piano/premium pinball spot in Leeds

Amongst other things:

- Involved in a PC/Console video game series that sold over 60m copies
- Involved in a single mobile game that won a BAFTA and was downloaded 28m times
- Had a trial for Leeds Utd as a youth (but didn't progress)
- Renown as one of the hardest/wildest partying people in the games industry (alas age caught up!)
- Met tons of film and sports celebs
- Travelled extensively
- Always fancied owning a pub and recently had thoughts of opening a bar/duelling piano/premium pinball spot in Leeds
Leeds is crying out for a barcade. One of the largest student populations in the UK and more beards than Beardville, USA.
Location would be key though.

The romantic idea of owning a pub is a nice one. In reality it is a LOT harder than you think. I have a day job so don't actually 'work' at mine but seem to spend most of my other time sorting out issues, staff, suppliers etc etc. It's very very time consuming. That said I've been looking for another one in London now for some time so fill with pinball machines but the balance of location, rent, rates, wages, tax, VAT etc etc is a hard one.

If you need any advice, give me a shout. I'm more than willing to help.

Back
Top Bottom