What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Progress Tecnoplay Space Team Restoration

Zaccaria Keith

Site Supporter
Alias
Keith Withnall
I purchased this Tecnoplay Space Team about 18 months ago in such poor condition that it wouldn’t have been worth restoring if it wasn’t quite a rare machine. For those who haven’t come across them Tecnoplay was set up by the Zaccaria brothers after the Zaccaria pinball company went out of business in 1987. They produced two games which were basically Zaccaria hardware (Devil King and Scramble) and two that used their own electronics and hardware (X Force and Space Team/Hi Ball. Hi Ball was the same table as Space Team but with a spring mounted cabinet in a vertical console to reduce floorspace. Tecnoplay are still in business making arcade machines today but haven’t produced a pin table since 1988.

The game had a lot of features for the time including 6 players, multiball, ball launch aiming, a high level “toilet bowl” with ball diverter into a crossover ramp, pop-up targets, stereo sound.

I have been unable to find any information on the number of tables made but they don’t appear very often and there are no suppliers of spares for any of the game specific parts including all of the electronics, which makes them a challenge to restore, but I like a challenge!

The playfield didn’t look too bad except that it was missing a vacuum moulded transparent crossover ramp that runs the whole length of the playfield and all of the multiball mechanism both of which would have to be made from scratch.

s-l1600-3.jpg

Things proved quite quickly to be more challenging than I had hoped. I knew the machine had suffered damp and therefore probably rust, but given that much of the cabinet is made of MDF I hadn’t expected woodworm.

1713043857623.png

The front of the cabinet was Weetabix anyway and it transpired that at some point in its history the front of the base had been kicked through to get at the coin box and some wormy old plywood had been screwed over it after which the little bug***s had been very busy.

So off came the front panel:

1713043951364.png

After removing the other bad/loose bits I was just left with these!:

1713043991072.png

So they got thoroughly dosed with worm killer (although I don’t think the worm was still active), treated with wood hardener and then epoxy wood filler where necessary.

1713044029356.png

Lots of expensive birch ply and black faced MDF was sourced from mdfdirect.co.uk and many happy hours with the router using the old parts as a pattern resulted in the following:

1713044081147.png

Lots of Titebond Ultimate and sash cramps later:

1713044116326.png

By this point I had discovered the worm and rot issues in the back box, so another expensive order was placed with mdfdirect.co.uk and even more routing and gluing later:

1713044161654.png

Much of the cabinet bracketry was very rusty and was recovered using electrolytic derusting, which partially reverses the rusting process and leaves sound parts for painting or plating without damaging any plating that might still be present. My rather basic electrolytic derusting setup:

1713044230630.png
Note that the red wire is actually negative and the black wire positive for derusting as the rig was originally made for chrome plating which is the opposite polarity.

Before and after derusting:

1713044335757.png

Coin return cups before treatment:

1713044365876.png

Front of cabinet after applying newly printed graphics and refitting cleaned up hardware (apologies for the reflections from the high gloss black finish):
1713044395485.png

Inside view including restored coin returns, etc:
1713044422649.png

Backbox after refitting restored hardware and newly sourced speaker grilles:
1713044459087.png

In parallel with this I was attending to the electronics boards. There is one main board with the power supply and all digital electronics on it. A display board with the two line vacuum fluorescent display is mounted off this. There is a separate sound board and two small interface boards with the solenoid switching transistors which were intended to be easy, low cost replacements.

Main board and display board:
1713044498584.png

Sound board and interface switching boards:
1713044523963.png

Unfortunately the main board had suffered the usual battery leakage and, as always, the battery was positioned immediately above the processor and eproms (why oh why). Note the nice green and furry test pins alongside the processor!:
1713044561118.png

The alkaline battery leakage was neutralised with a mild acid solution and the corrosion deposits removed before ultrasonically cleaning the whole board, washing and drying before beginning the tedious process of identifying a repairing all the damaged tracks on the pcb.

The board after cleaning, repairing and testing. Note the memory capacitor in place of the battery. There are no NVRAM upgrades available for this game although I might make one later:
1713044618137.png

The board working during bench testing:
1713087146497.png

In the next episode I will look at the playfield restoration. If you have any questions I will do my best to answer them.
Keith

Attachments

• 1713044655061.png
    1713044655061.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Part 2.

Onto the playfield which, as seen in the earlier photo, didn’t look bad from the top apart from the missing aerial ramp and multiball mechanism.
However underneath there was a lot of rust and a few more of the dreaded worm holes:
1713094732331.png

So everything was going to have to come off. First the vacuum moulded plastics:
1713094766785.png

Then the ball guides. The outer one is a single strip of stainless held in place by some folded stainless clips – much better than the usual rusted chrome parts, except that the edges were like razor blades. See if you can spot the blood!:
1713094795995.png

Then it was time to remove the posts. I tried all the usual tricks, tightening them slightly first, applying heat, impact driver, even some Italian swear words, but all but one of the post screws was firmly rusted into the ply and sheared off just below the surface.
1713094847912.png

Turning to the underside it was clear that the lampholders were beyond saving. Note the missing multiball coil and pawl mechanism in the bottom right:
1713094888741.png

With the electronics boards I was lucky as I found a manual for an X Force online which uses the same boards so I had the schematics for the boards. However much searching failed to produce a manual for the Space Team so no schematics for the playfield or cabinet wiring. I even contacted Mauro Zaccaria at Tecnoplay but they have nothing. So whilst the playfield was on the bench I traced out the lamp an contact matrices and the solenoid wiring and made a set of schematics which I will put online shortly. So off came the wiring harness:
1713094973261.png

Leaving just the lampholders:
1713095008984.png

And then there was nothing:
1713095048110.png

So after a good clean, lots of worm treatment and a coat of grey paint it was time to look at the sheared off posts. The number of posts and them being sheared below the surface meant I needed to come up with a new approach.

I found these ball/bead cutting bits like a tiny hole saw. They come in 6 and 8mm diameter.
1713095101043.png

The 6mm was just too small but the 8mm was ideal for coring out the remains of the post and gluing in an 8mm wooden dowel cut in half. A steel guide was drilled to just clear the core drill and clamped to the playfield with a wooden packer below to avoid breakout on the back face:
1713095137199.png

Nice clean hole for the dowel to glue into:
1713095176345.png

Finished dowels glued in:
1713095209452.png

Pilot holes for the new posts:
1713095236047.png

A trip to Andy at PinParts resulted in a large bag of assorted new lampholders which were fitted with new diodes and attached with new ground braid and stainless steel screws:
1713095284148.png

Meanwhile the wiring harness was ultrasonically cleaned, washed and dried before starting to attach it back to the playfield. Note at this stage the contact brackets are still showing signs of rust:
1713095315808.png

With the lampholders rewired the brackets were removed from the contacts, cleaned up in Evaporust and painted. Each contact was cleaned and set and the targets repaired where necessary and then fitted back to the playfield with stainless screws.
1713095383093.png

Each of the mechanisms from the playfield was then stripped, cleaned, inspected and, where necessary, parts repaired or replaced before refitting to the playfield one by one. New coil sleeves, fuseholders and EOS contacts all round. Big thanks to Andy Netherwood who is now used to me turning up with an obscure Italian part and saying "have you got anything that looks like this":
1713095509561.png

Printing new coil wrappers and fitting them improves the appearance significantly:
1713095540079.png
(Clue – the new one is on the left!)

I have since sent the artwork for these to Peter at Inkochnito's as he keeps a great selection of coil wrapper artwork as well as the scorecards and didn’t have these ones. He immediately made a much better job of the artwork than me and will be adding them to his site for anyone who needs them. What a great guy!

Flipping over and refitting cleaned up parts to the top of the playfield:
1713095744606.png

I generally prefer the appearance of traditional incandescent lamps on machines of this era, but normally go down in wattage, e.g. #47 in place of #44 to reduce the load on the transformers. However I fitted warm white LEDs for the GI here as the lamps are such a pig to replace once the plastic bowl is fitted.

The ring of lights around the top of the bowl had several missing lamp covers and broken holders which were unobtainable. However after searching I was able to source some Arcolectric lampholders that take midget flange lamps and fit into the same size hole in the moulding:
1713095780673.png

This and the “Toilet bowl” won’t go back on now until I have made the missing aerial ramp and multiball parts which are the next job. I was fortunate early on to have access to the Hi-Ball that Ross owned and got all the measurements I need for the missing parts.

The big crossover ramp is the trickiest part:
1713095815868.png

It needs to be transparent and this plus its size probably rules out 3D printing. I have looked at making a jig and attempting to vacuum form it like the original but think it is beyond what I could achieve with my facilities and (lack of) skills. I am therefore going to attempt to make it as a stainless habitrail. Not true to the original, although they used a habitrail on X-Force, but potentially more doable and more robust.

I have ordered a load of stainless rod and stainless rings so you will have to wait for the next installment to see if it works!

Questions welcome as always.
Keith

I have ordered a load of stainless rod and stainless rings so you will have to wait for the next installment to see if it works!

Keith,
I need to repair wireforms on a STTNG, the welds have come apart above the inlanes.
What’s the welding process you use to make these? I’ve read TIG welding is the way to go.
Cheers, Alan.

Keith,
I need to repair wireforms on a STTNG, the welds have come apart above the inlanes.
What’s the welding process you use to make these? I’ve read TIG welding is the way to go.
Cheers, Alan.
I would think TIG would be best, but I don't have a TIG welder so I'm going to try first with a high frequency stick welder and see what happens.

Keith,
Cheers, Alan.
I tried stick welding but even at the lowest arc current of 20amps it was too easy to blow through the 3mm stainless wire - I would expect TIG to be more controllable. I expect the commercial assemblies are cross wire resistance welded but I don't have access to such equipment. Gas brazing was a bit more successful but only after I got some flux intended for stainless steel as the chrome content produces oxides that the regular fluxes won't remove and then it doesn't flow. However the best results so far are using silver soldering with a 440 flux coated silver solder and HT5 flux powder from CuP Alloys. The required temperature can be achieve with a decent butane torch rather than the hotter MAPP gas torch and there is much less discolouration and potential distortion of the wire. Also gives more chance of adjusting things if the alignment isn't right first time. :
1713609993318.jpeg1713610094634.jpeg

I've made a template of the finished wireform that I can use for bending the wires but I'm still wrestling with how to jig the parts for the assembly process. I've made some pieces that can be used to wedge the wires against the rings from the inside either side of the rings, but currently looks like it would need a couple of well trained octopuses (octopi ?) to hold it all together! Suggestions always welcome.

However the best results so far are using silver soldering

Picked up some side rails and lockbars I had polished a few days ago and asked the guy if he knew any TIG welders.
Showed a pic of wireforms and he suggested silver soldering which he does, looks like I’m on the right track.
Cheers Kieth, Alan.

Back
Top Bottom