What's new

TAF Vs TZ

mark adams

Registered
What is it about TAF and TZ pinball machines that they hold their value so well compared to other games of the same era?

I think nostalgia is the biggest factor.

So many made, so many people exposed to them, so many people want them.

They are decent games but so many other games are as fun, or more so, if you remove the nostalgia factor.

Tin hat on:p

TAF is the worlds best selling pin. it is a decent pin in its own right, but it is also the pin that casual players / people who played pinball somewhere once have a strong affinity for. You could argue that the market is a bit self-fulfilling, it's super popular and sells for disproportionately large sums of money, so it carries on doing so. There is no shortage of demand for it though.

TZ is basically Pat Lawlor's "do whatever you want" present from Williams after the success of TAF, so they're sortof linked. TZ has so much on the playfield, even now - magnets, a mini playfield, a fully functional clock, a fully functional gumball machine. It is a punishing game though (imo), you can play for several minutes and not break ~50m, or you could have a skill shot launch into the pops and immediately drain. No ball save, so it takes no prisoners.

By contrast TAF has less depth but is just consistently fun. It was my grail pin.

Never spent any time with TZ personally. I lusted after TAF for years. It’s got an amazing art and sound package and is a fantastic game.
For me, the appeal with it is hitting the jackpot then relighting, rinsing and repeating. Which in my mind, I can do with Funhouse. Hence why I sold it. By selling it I opened the door to Iron Maiden and now WOZ. Which for me was the right choice.
I don’t for one second regret selling TAF. Would I have it back??? Hell yeah

I’ve had 28 different titles, nothing compared to quite a few on here.

I’m on my 3rd taf and 2nd tz - whilst I never say they are keepers, they are keepers! No intention of moving them on, both were grail pins.

Whilst my lineup is mainly stern these days, I always consider these two fondly and enjoy them just as much as I ever did.

I massively regret moving them on in the past and soon sought to replace them, now they’re are coming home to my new pin room build in a month or two,

8AD963E1-E64E-4EC6-9F48-DF0612C99022.jpeg4BCAAFE1-E9C8-430C-9253-7EACC39ECB27.jpeg

Durzel explains it the most concisely, I reckon.

TAF also happens to have a near-perfect integration of the theme, in the little things like chosen sound effects, callouts, features and little easter eggs that people *do* notice, such as the flippers following the finger snapping to the music on end of ball bonus, rarely. In terms of gameplay, the anti-new player decision of no ball saver is outweighed by the really, really easy to shoot Uncle Fester hole, which lets people find the features easily and discover more to this pinball stuff. And just as well it's easy to shoot - without the ball saver, it meant that most new players would be awarded the pity multiball on ball 3. And that, right there, is another reason for popularity - TAF is right up there amongst the all-time-best for its multiball onset sequence. Perfectly chosen.

Other new-player-friendly things are the feed into the no less than 5 pop bumpers if you just plunge at full speed. People like pop bumpers a lot, it's only committed pinball players that consider their gameplay slowdown effect as a potentially bad thing.

And of course, the Thing toy is funny. The first dozen or so times. Then it's funny again when it fakes out taking the ball - 'NO, NO, NO!' - but first impressions are everything.

TZ on the other hand is almost purely down to enthusiast interest in the most overworked, albeit well-designed in gameplay, pinball table that ever happened, at least until the modern era of machines like WoZ. The height of sheer excess from the high-water-mark of pinball. It's also a bastard to keep running correctly. 'Course that's going to command good money.

Never spent any time with TZ personally. I lusted after TAF for years. It’s got an amazing art and sound package and is a fantastic game.
For me, the appeal with it is hitting the jackpot then relighting, rinsing and repeating. Which in my mind, I can do with Funhouse. Hence why I sold it. By selling it I opened the door to Iron Maiden and now WOZ. Which for me was the right choice.
I don’t for one second regret selling TAF. Would I have it back??? Hell yeah
I’m glad you sold your TAF, love it and wouldn’t swop it for anything.
TZ is amazing nothing can compare!

Ive had both. (though its addams I still have).
I seemed to be forever putting stuff right on the TZ - but maybe I was just unlucky. In any case I need the space and the dosh..so had to get rid of one :(

No idea why I like TAF any more the others though (i had a few before that....)

The trough proximity switch (26) on TZ is so notorious for going wrong that the programmer for the game has it as his username on the US forum. :p

TAF was a game changer when it came out. I was about 20. Never played anything quite like it. Magnets. DMD. Fun modes. I remember the pub we used to go to had a T2 then TAF and then JP.

Nostalgia plays a big part in its appeal. If I’m honest it’s not the most played game in my collection and it’s not as good as AC/DC or TWD. However it will be the last to ever leave.

I’ve owned my TZ over 20yrs and in that time I owned 3 x TAF including a beautiful Gold.
They were keepers that went due to the onset of deeper rule games that Stern and JJP seem to do so much better (most of the time). So much so I’ve contemplated moving my TZ on a few times now but just can’t bring myself round to letting it go as having a game or two makes my mind up for me.
If CGC ever remade TZ I would be front of the line to sign up for one regardless of price. Imagine a TZ with super wide colour DMD, RGB lighting and one of their mind blowing toppers.
I already have a damp patch in my undercrackers just thinking about it.

Off topic slightly and apologies if this is a well known, but I recently found out that TZ uses music from a song called Twilight Zone by Golden Earring.

I’ve owned my TZ over 20yrs and in that time I owned 3 x TAF including a beautiful Gold.
They were keepers that went due to the onset of deeper rule games that Stern and JJP seem to do so much better (most of the time). So much so I’ve contemplated moving my TZ on a few times now but just can’t bring myself round to letting it go as having a game or two makes my mind up for me.
If CGC ever remade TZ I would be front of the line to sign up for one regardless of price. Imagine a TZ with super wide colour DMD, RGB lighting and one of their mind blowing toppers.
I already have a damp patch in my undercrackers just thinking about it.

I own a really very nice mint restored TZ and tilttopper, it’s the bees knees, but I do keep gettng the proximity error but it may be because I’ve not played in a while, I do have new mini boards to hopefully fix it if indeed it is a problem / akin to switches signalling as faulty simply because is been a while since they operated.

I used to own a really nice mint restored taf but it used to feel a little clunky, my current one could do with a cab redecal but plays and looks fantastic.

I own a really very nice mint restored TZ and tilttopper, it’s the bees knees, but I do keep gettng the proximity error but it may be because I’ve not played in a while, I do have new mini boards to hopefully fix it if indeed it is a problem / akin to switches signalling as faulty simply because is been a while since they operated.

I used to own a really nice mint restored taf but it used to feel a little clunky, my current one could do with a cab redecal but plays and looks fantastic.
My understanding is that you will get switch 26 prox errors like any other if the trough doesn't see the Powerball for several games. I guess it's like a reverse though, as the switch is open (I think?) when a metal ball is at the ball eject position.

I've got upgraded prox boards but I still see the error from time to time.

My understanding is that you will get switch 26 prox errors like any other if the trough doesn't see the Powerball for several games. I guess it's like a reverse though, as the switch is open (I think?) when a metal ball is at the ball eject position.

Yeah hence no fitting the new balls, I’ll check when it’s played more.

Not noticed that on mine, only had the error because the sensor was not adjusted correctly as a screw was missing.

Not noticed that on mine, only had the error because the sensor was not adjusted correctly as a screw was missing.
Shrug.. dunno what to say... maybe I've entered the Twilight Zone.

Last time it happened to me was during a game (it's the only dot I get on my game, touch wood) and it went away, again mid game, after the Powerball had been freed from its gumball prison and rotated through the trough.

It is a very temperamental switch though all things considered. As said before it's no coincidence that Ted Estes username on Pinside is "check_switch_26"

No doubt I will see it at some stage then, maybe I don’t get it back in the gum ball machine enough☺️

Best 2 machines of all time. TZ is the 12" version of TAF.

TAF is a better game imho and much more reliable.

Best 2 machines of all time. TZ is the 12" version of TAF.

TAF is a better game imho and much more reliable.
Nope. TZ > TAF for me

TZ design and layout feels like no other game - before or since. The Door replaces TAFs Mansion but there are just so many other things going on in TZ - the use of the magnets is superb, the mini playfield, the Powerball and Gumball machine, hitchhikers, the Camera..., oh it's just wonderful [emoji3]

One reason I had to let Popeye go was to help towards space issue for my TZ coming back into the GrizZ Shack later this year. Cannot wait.

Sent from the Twilight Zone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Off topic slightly and apologies if this is a well known, but I recently found out that TZ uses music from a song called Twilight Zone by Golden Earring.

Funny. I was well aware of this song, but until now I always thought the song was 'inspired' by the pinball machine rather than the other way around! 😆

Back
Top Bottom