What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TAF Thing flip question

domlouis

Registered
Hello,
My TAF doesn't really do the thing flip action at all. Well not anymore anyway.
Last night i put the machine in test mode, single switch test and tried to test the opto just above the top left flipper to check it was registering. I think i understand that this is the trigger for the thing flip. I wasn't paying enough attention but i got the impression it started by registering well a couple of times and then went dead. Nothing at all. I tried to restart the machine to see if it made any difference but nothing happened. When I now test this opto switch, nothing happens (which in my head explains why the thing flip isn't working).
So my first question is: is the switch test mode the right place to test and opto like this one?
Second: should it be registering during this test?
If the answer is yes to both questions, i'll try to seek detached wires etc.
If the answer is no to either of these questions, please suggest an idiot-guide to how to test this opto.
Thank you.
Dom

Haven't got a TAF :( but.. opto should register in Switch Edge tests. Are you rolling a ball through it or testing with your finger? Could be that the opto is catching your finger but missing the top of the ball or something?

I did both: my finger and a ball. And no difference. I think both your comments show it should register.

(i was just concerned as i had read somewhere else that the opto switch during the game only gets turned on when the ramp switches detect a ball)

Anyway i'll do some digging to see of any wires are loose. Thank you.

As I understand it - as you have said - during gameplay the game has to see both bear switches activate before it turns on the opto before the Thing flipper, because the opto (plus time delay) is what energises the flipper.

It should register in switch tests though.

Right so got home and checked the wires. All ok.
I noticed that the opto on the left was a bit dirty so cleaned it up. Reassembled. Tested. All working great. Yippee.
Played a game. But thing wasnt flipping again. Tested again and this time it would not register.
I then thought it would be an alignment issue so i tried to wiggle the opto boards on both sides and that seemed to do the trick. Working in test mode thing is now flipping during the game. Hurrah. Result.
Thank you all.

Nice.

I found a page earlier today that talked about how the opto bracket on the right (no idea if this is sender or receiver) can get battered by the pop bumper, causing it to go out of alignment or snap entirely. Forgot to update thread though :(

Sensitive things those optos.

Back
Top Bottom