What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TAF issues - Spooky kooky behaviour - help required

Tucks

Registered
All, my TAF has been rock solid and very little issues over the years but all of a sudden multiple issues have arisen. Not sure if they are related but here goes.....

1) Test report showed "UL Flipper EOS" issue. One of the wires had come off so I soldered it back on but the issue remains.

2) Quick multiball/Thing multiball doesn't start the modes and they just stay lit.

3) Something near the swamp is randomly firing.

4) The 'Escape' (far left) button inside the door doesn't work.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Sounds like the switch matrix has gone to pot.

I think the coin door buttons aren't a part of it which could mean a deeper issue.

Have you looked in the backbox? These symptoms can often be battery damage related😑
The switch matrix connectors are at the bottom of the far left board. Check that area and reseat them

"Something near the swamp is firing"; that may be the 'knock-off' solenoid. Balls held as locked rest on a ledge, where the knock-off can push the lowest off into the swamp kickout. There are switches to show how many balls are present on the ledge, could any of them be stuck closed, making the knock-off operate unnecessarily?

The coin door buttons (and 'coin slot' inputs) are 'Dedicated' (D) switches, rather than part of the switch matrix. The push buttons can get worn out over the years. All four buttons share a common Ground connection, so jump the wire for Escape to the wire running between all four buttons to check if the switch has given up.

Similarly with the flipper button and End-of-Stroke switches, they are their own group of 'F' switches, separate from the switch matrix. Each switch connects to Ground when closed.

It does sound like a corrosion of the wiring in the switch matrix connectors but If you've reseated them, check for corrosion within the connector (you're looking for green or white on the silver connector pins). If none, reseat the ribbon cables that go to the CPU board, take them on and off a few times to try and remove any potential corrosion, do all parts of the cable if it has more than just the 2 ends, while you're at it, push in the ASIC chip on the CPU board and then report back (do all this with power OFF)

Tested the 'balls held' switches and none are stuck.

Managed to get the 'escape' working, not sure how, dodgy connection?? which mean I can runs test.

All the solenoid tests seem to work OK.

I've re-seated all the connectors and ribbon cables and they look OK plus pressed the ASIC chip

After the swamp kicks out a ball, a solenoid (guessing the swamp kickout one) fires twice.

Would a faulty leaf switch at the swamp cause it not to recognise balls and hence multiball/thing multiball wont start??

What does test report say?

Sounds like it’s potentially a switch issue, test all switches in switch edge test starting with the trough

Back
Top Bottom