What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TAF - fitting a Pin2DMD Colour display question

"The original ColorDMD LCD display uses a high-resolution, low-voltage, LCD screen to provide a full color replacement for the game's original screen. All displays support six different rendering modes including high-resolution upscaling to fill the space between the dots. The LCD provides excellent uniformity of dot size and spacing, regardless of intensity."

I have 2 LCD colordmd's one set as XL dot's and the other with 'hi-res upscaling'.
Ah, ok. So it is possible to set the LCD display to hi-res. Thank you for confirming

Ah, ok. So it is possible to set the LCD display to hi-res. Thank you for confirming
It is, but I'd check on youtube for videos of it in action to see if it's your thing. Some games it looks good others not so much.

It is, but I'd check on youtube for videos of it in action to see if it's your thing. Some games it looks good others not so much.
Agreed, it may not go so well with the TAF.
I couldn't really find much with this display fitted on the TAF in hi-res mode.
But I guess pretty much everyone prefers the old classic look.
I would agreed it goes well.

I think Hi res is just merging the dots together and doing some smoothing.
I think in most cases it looks awful.

Plus LCDs don't do proper black very well (unless colordmd have improved on the one I have).
I much prefer dots on a proper dot matrix, they're how the animations were designed, you get more depth too.

Arent the colordmds still a laptop style screen ? ie bigger than the dmd they are filling ?

am i right in saying the led units are the same size as the dmd that comes in the pin ?

edit:
ok just answered my own question

that alone would push me towards led

Back
Top Bottom