What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

STTNG cannon switches issue

newdos

Site Supporter
Alias
Newdos
Hi guys, got a bit of a weird tech issue on a friends sttng. The fours switches under the two cannons ie L mark L home and R mark and R home do not work in test mode. I have tested HIS cpu and 8 opto board in my sttng, and everything works fine so that rules them out.

so I was thinking there would be no 12v from J5 pin 1 on the 8ch opto board, but there is - as proven by swapping his board into my machine anyway. So that only leaves wiring issue, which would be J207 pins 2,5,7 and 8 on the CPU. The bit I dont get though is, if there is anything wrong with the wiring on any of these switch lines, other switches would be affected on the rows but they all work perfect other than the 4 gun switches!!

I'm baffled so any help appreciated. I'm going up to see the machine on saturday hopefully to fix it, so answers before then if you can please!!

Cheers

kev

The home position switches are mechanical ones not opto s
Yeah I realised that Chris, but they get their 12v DC supply from the 8ch opto board which is switch column 9 so guessing that recognises the 12v on the switches when they close at the CPU - see drawing below.

This is why I'm baffled as all the other switches on the rows are registering in test fine ???? Its as if the 4 wires from the switches have been cut somewhere!!

1659084941556.png

Try this:

The cannon "home" switches are sensed via the 8-driver board located in the upper right side of the head. They are not part of the normal switch matrix sensed by the MPU. No need to suspect the MPU.

Is the ribbon cable from the left side of the MPU to the 8-driver board secure?
--
Chris Hibler -

Try this:

The cannon "home" switches are sensed via the 8-driver board located in the upper right side of the head. They are not part of the normal switch matrix sensed by the MPU. No need to suspect the MPU.

Is the ribbon cable from the left side of the MPU to the 8-driver board secure?
--
Chris Hibler -
yep all good - and mpu is ruled as board tested in another machine. but the other ends of the switches go back to j209 so are they not sensed by mpu still ??? which is why i am suspected cable issue as i know mpu and 8ch opto boards are good

I have had issues with ribbon cables causing problems and only a new one fixed it, did you try another ribbon cable?
Think I read the cannon home switches do not show up on the switch matrix test and only in cannon test so a strange one if so.
Not got one now otherwise I would have had a look, something simple hopefully.

Has it ever worked and are the jumper settings correct on the 8 driver board is the wire from the 8 driver to the switches ok if so I would replace the ribbon cable

I have had issues with ribbon cables causing problems and only a new one fixed it, did you try another ribbon cable?
Think I read the cannon home switches do not show up on the switch matrix test and only in cannon test so a strange one if so.
Not got one now otherwise I would have had a look, something simple hopefully.
you are correct they are on the cannon test mode but none of them change when it's testing mode - I cant remember if they are on the switch test matrix either(I have one so will check) - its as if the 4 wires from the microswitches had been chopped somewhere!!

Has it ever worked and are the jumper settings correct on the 8 driver board is the wire from the 8 driver to the switches ok if so I would replace the ribbon cable
yes chris it has worked when the guy bought it, but it has since just stopped working - I will take a ribbon with me tomoz but I would of thought that would of affected all the other switches on the 8ch opto board ?

EDIT - looking at the diagram though, one wire of the ribbon is responsible for those 4 switches on that column so this could be the culprit!!!

Back
Top Bottom