What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Straightening side rails

Alan Syson

Site Supporter
Is it feasible? Left rail got bent when John Higgins’ Hulk toppled over in the back of a van for the Scottish Open a decade or so back.
Anyone successfully removed them without damage & straightened them up?
Was thinking of using a hair dryer or heat gun to soften up the adhesive tape, just wondering how much force is required.
Cheers, Alan

Attachments

• EED438A7-1BFA-4692-A598-1C3CA7951CC5.jpeg
    EED438A7-1BFA-4692-A598-1C3CA7951CC5.jpeg
    53.3 KB · Views: 20
You could take to your local metal polisher... some very friendly ones out there that do that sort of repair for a pint. Fixing up pinball machines often gives interest from these kinds of folks. Random response I know... but could be an option (was for me once)

You could take to your local metal polisher... some very friendly ones out there that do that sort of repair for a pint. Fixing up pinball machines often gives interest from these kinds of folks. Random response I know... but could be an option (was for me once)

It’s removing them without causing further damage I’m pondering. Once it’s off I can decide what to do.
Cheers, Alan.

Ah sorry Alan - I missed that key bit!

In the past I removed them with a careful use of a painters taping knife, or scraper. Normally start at the front so any damage getting the tool inserted will be covered by the lockdown bar. I've been pretty lucky so far not caused any damage removing from my various restores.

Obviously remove the holding bolts first. Once off you can remove the residual tape from metal and cabinet with patience.

Ah sorry Alan - I missed that key bit!

In the past I removed them with a careful use of a painters taping knife, or scraper. Normally start at the front so any damage getting the tool inserted will be covered by the lockdown bar. I've been pretty lucky so far not caused any damage removing from my various restores.

Obviously remove the holding bolts first. Once off you can remove the residual tape from metal and cabinet with patience.

Did you use heat?

No heat needed - just be patient.

There isn't any adhesive between the topside of the rail and the plastic glass guide sitting on the edge of the cab. It's held in place with double sided tape along the side of the cab.

Effectively slice through the double sided tape holding the metal rail to the side of the cab.

Biggest risk is damaging the artwork on your decal. Obviously keep all damage to under the side rail, nothing on show if that makes sense?

You will end up with a rail that looks like Father Ted’s car if you try to straighten it out.
It’s just not worth the hassle.
I have some good condition rails that have been removed from machines having a full refurb, you are more than welcome to one of those Alan.
If you can wait till we next meet up I will bring one along with me to give you.
D.

I heated them on STTNG and sliced through the tape and they came off easily with zero marks and that was the first time I have taken any off.
I put masking tape on the cab next to the trim to make sure it wouldn’t get scratched.

Last edited:
You will end up with a rail that looks like Father Ted’s car if you try to straighten it out.
It’s just not worth the hassle.
I have some good condition rails that have been removed from machines having a full refurb, you are more than welcome to one of those Alan.
If you can wait till we next meet up I will bring one along with me to give you.
D.

That did cross my mind Darren. NERG’s probably the next potential meet up I think.
I’ve mailed the bloke & given him options however this is probably the best one, I’ll let you know,
Cheers mate,
Alan.

Update. Decided I can’t polish a turd, it’s not my machine but one I sold a couple of years ago. @replicas is gonna do a refurb on it instead.
Thanks for the advice anyway folks,
Alan

Darren,

If you bring it along to Runcorn on Sunday, I can get it to my office in Gateshead next Thursday for Alan to pick up.

Alan, my office is at The Watermark, near the Metrocentre - where ITV have their offices.

Paul

Back
Top Bottom