What's new

Stopping air balls

DRD

Registered
Does anyone have advice please?. Looking to stop Air Balls that result from this drop target bank in the middle of the pf.

It is Transporter The Rescue, so is a mixture of Bally and Williams parts. The actual drop targets are Williams ones. Plenty of games have targets here, none of my others produce air balls like this old girl.

I think the problem may be caused by the gap between the rubber band and the wireform behind it that is designed to protect the light bulbs. On the left bank of drop targets, there is virtually no gap between the two. It might be that the red star post on the right hand side is wrong. If I replace with a smaller diameter one that would reduce this gap ?

Any suggestions gratefully received

The problem ...

15372039913421954557697.jpg15372040236121251793410.jpg

This one works fine, and uses 2 red star posts ...

20180917_181754.jpg

Can you video it in slow motion Dave? a lot of modern mobiles have slow motion video capture built in.

Reactions: DRD
David have a look on the ipdb looks a little different , like the posts under the pop bumper ,it may be this , just that gap looks a bit to big !!
Maybe fit another tapered post !
See what you think :)

Thanks chaps, I am away for a few days but will get onto it. I have never had a system 11 with airball problems before, so this must be soluble.

In the absence of a better idea I will use the eos to reduce flipper power, but still have enough oomph to make the ramp. And/ or bend the wireform forward a bit as it has taken a pounding. I will check the coils too.

The clearest snap on ipdb has the same post arrangement which is helpful, and unhelpful at the same time.....

image-21.jpg

Yep ! You spotted it too , would of thought that rubber would be parallel not on a angle or is it ,also swop the rubber for a bigger size maybe ?

the rubber is on an angle. It does not look right, but matches up with the ipdb !

I hadn't played this for months, but now Genie is sorted I have had a look at Transporter.

It transpired that the flipper coils, which were correctly specified as per the manual, are ridiculously over-powered.

Transporter is relatively flat, its ramp is quite low yet it has the same flipper coils as The Shadow ! The blue ones, which are the most powerful used in WPC games

So it is just a case of weaker coils or adjusting the EOS switches

Last edited:
I hadn't played this for months, but now Genie is sorted I have had a look at Transporter.

It transpired that the flipper coils, which were correctly specified as per the manual, are ridiculously over-powered.

Transporter is relatively flat, its ramp is quite low yet it has the same flipper coils as The Shadow ! The blue ones, which are the most powerful used in WPC games

So it is just a case of weaker coils or adjusting the EOS switches
I just had a look at the manual on IPDB for this game and it specifies all 3 flipper coils as FL11630 (Standard strength, red wrapper) as I'd expect for a System 11 game. I checked because I didn't think the stronger orange and blue coils were really used until the WPC era games. You are right that the coils are too strong, do you have a manual that specifies FL11629 coils for it then?

I have a T2, a lot later game but early WPC and the manual specifies standard red coils for that too but a lot came from the factory fitted with the strongest blue ones. I believe I read somewhere that Williams started doing this so that the flippers would still be able to make shots for longer when they wore out and needed rebuilding. The game definitely plays better with the standard strength though imo so long as the mechs and switches are fresh. The strong coils felt like they were going to punch the ball through the centre target bank and into the pops!

Thanks @aaronhicksuk

The main flipper coils on my Transporter are aftermarket ones and are both colored blue. It may be that they are rubbish quality and just too powerful.

They are marked 11630. Which is a bit daft really.

I think that adjusting the EOS switches should sort it. If not , I will bin them and buy new ones

Damned Pinball machines.

That's pretty strange, either the coil wrapper is the wrong colour or the part number is wrong. I'd measure the resistance of the windings to find out what they really are:

Standard strength should have a 4.7 ohm power winding and a 161ohm hold winding.
Strongest strength should have a 4 ohm power and a 133 ohm hold winding.

I was getting air balls from the two left hand side ramp targets on The Shadow, foam was in tact, switches nice and straight. Wedged a small piece of rubber behind the switches where they come up into the play field - completely stopped that ‘catapult action’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom