What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wanted Stern Star Trek Pro - alt translite

Have you, or would you consider changing your translite/backglass on your HUO game?

• Total voters

Matt BRU

Registered
I'm looking for an alternative translite/backglass for my Star Trek Pro - I'm not a huge fan of the current backglass (looks a bit like a DVD cover as opposed to some Star Trek art or anything remotely inspiring), I am however a huge fan of the game! To be honest I came across a few things on Pinside showing some alt translites which got me thinking - the ones I saw though don't appear to be in production any more, although I'm hopeful I may get one of these http://www.aurichlawson.com/startrek/pre-order.html

another I came across but not so keen:
http://www.ministryofpinball.com/en/star-trek-stern-alternate-translite.html

Could anyone recommend where I might find one of these?

And a newb question I'm sure - could you explain the difference between the translite and backglass and how this works?

Cheers

What about this one? Much better....;)
download.jpg

They both look better than the original in my opinion. I thought the Aurich one wasn't going to be redone - maybe I'm wrong though?!?

Backglass and translite are pretty much the same thing - on older pins they used to be made from glass with the artwork silkscreened on the glass (backglass); translites are plastic with the artwork printed on them.

They both look better than the original in my opinion. I thought the Aurich one wasn't going to be redone - maybe I'm wrong though?!?

Backglass and translite are pretty much the same thing - on older pins they used to be made from glass with the artwork silkscreened on the glass (backglass); translites are plastic with the artwork printed on them.

Thanks. Im not sure about Aurich, might be worth emailing him :rolleyes:

Yes I think the original translite design is a prime example of licensors dictating how it should look over any kind of cool artwork, seems such a shame that it looks like the way it's going. My old doctor dude had awesome artwork, original and tied in well with the game. Not just face shots of actors to help promote the films.. rant over. Translite aside, what a game!!

One other question- how easy is it to install a new translite. Is it literally slipping out the old translite bit of plastic and in with the new one? Just hoping it's easily reversible should I ever sell the pin it would be good to know if I can slot the original back in...

Yes, it's that simple. Remove back glass and carefully remove the four plastic slats that hold the translite in place.
Be care not to scratch the rear of the translite.
I have this particular translite in my STTNG and it's very cool

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One other question- how easy is it to install a new translite. Is it literally slipping out the old translite bit of plastic and in with the new one? Just hoping it's easily reversible should I ever sell the pin it would be good to know if I can slot the original back in...
Like putting a poster in a clip frame, the 4 edges held in place by long plastic edging very easy and 100% reversible

Like putting a poster in a clip frame, the 4 edges held in place by long plastic edging very easy and 100% reversible
The Stern ones are also taped in. just cut the tape. Simple.

Be aware that the above is for williams game and won't fit the Stern, the stern is bigger so you'd end up with a gap.

Back
Top Bottom