What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stern Star Gazer Playfield full Restored

DAW6205

Site Supporter
Alias
pinball magic
Hi everyone,
I would like to share with you my latest work of restoring the playfield.
The playfield was in very bad shape and after scanning it, our graphic designers spent many hours recreating the artwork, focusing especially on the constellation design. Another challenge was to match the original shade of blue, as the playing field had blue colour variations from the game's aging and wear.

After consulting various online sources and images, we believe we have successfully identified the original blue background. The rest of the process followed our typical workflow:
- removal of the old artwork
- conduct multiple tests to ensure correct alignment of the holes
- simulate the colours on the bare wood of the playing field until obtaining a faithful representation of the original design.

The end result of the project appears to be very successful. Our customer requested a glossy clear coat for this playing field, although our preferred option for future releases would involve a semi-gloss finish.

Your comments and observations are appreciated.

Attachments

• piano SG vecchio.jpg
    piano SG vecchio.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 74
  • SG nudo.jpg
    SG nudo.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 69
  • SG con inserts.jpg
    SG con inserts.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 63
  • SG in the computer.jpg
    SG in the computer.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 67
  • Piani dietro.jpg
    Piani dietro.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 74
  • SG finito.jpg
    SG finito.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 78
  • SG piano finito.jpg
    SG piano finito.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 79
  • SG veduta laterale.jpg
    SG veduta laterale.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 73
  • SG angolo di veduta.jpg
    SG angolo di veduta.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 79
Looks great, what was the process for getting the artwork back on the playfield?
"First, we perform a scan of the playfield, then the graphic artist digitally retouches it, repairing any missing elements. Once that is completed, we download the file to the printer, which will then proceed to print the artwork onto the exposed playfield."

Not sure on the clear coat but that is the customers prefernce.

I know you have to have protection but I wouldnt put as many layers on as a modern game.

Just my 2 cents.

Nice work !
I agree with you. Personally, I prefer the semi-gloss finish as it provides a more faithful look to the original playfield. Currently, we are finishing another Star Gazer playfield with a semi-gloss finish, which will be shared on this forum to allow everyone to notice the differences. However, it's important to note that the playfield shown here has been protected with two layers of clear coat

I reached out for a quote but never got anything back?
Hi Scott
I apologize for the delay in providing you with the requested information. Currently, the supervisor is on vacation, but as soon as I receive the quotes you are waiting for, I will send them to you.
Davide

Back
Top Bottom