What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stern Pinball Arcade

Frankenstein and Starship Troppers are already available for Pinball Arcade.

$108,000 needed to make AC/DC happen !!!:eek:

Yeh I noticed that. Great chance to get a feel for the tables if you can't manage to find a real one to play, especially Ghostbusters. Not sure if this will help or hinder sales of the real table though. I still love Pinball Arcade and still play it a lot, even with 2 real tables in the house.

Yeh I noticed that. Great chance to get a feel for the tables if you can't manage to find a real one to play, especially Ghostbusters. Not sure if this will help or hinder sales of the real table though. I still love Pinball Arcade and still play it a lot, even with 2 real tables in the house.
Because of that stupid app I've also got two tables in the house and an addiction that needs feeding! :hmm:

Relatives came to visit recently, they were both in their mid 20s and had played pc pinball simulators extensively.

They loved the real thing, played my games far more intensely than other newbies who have visited and are now thinking of getting a table themselves

So yet again pinball arcade are asking punters to underwrite their entire risk re AC/DC? Sorry but they can **** right off. They've got a successful product but still want other people to take all the risk.

Must be laughing all the way to the bank

Seriously 8 people have paid $150 or more to fund a ****ing computer game for someone else to make a profit from? :confused:

Am I just tight or do these people have more money than sense? I get funding a start up company for a % of their profit but this?

Seriously 8 people have paid $150 or more to fund a ****ing computer game for someone else to make a profit from? :confused:

Am I just tight or do these people have more money than sense? I get funding a start up company for a % of their profit but this?
I agree with you John, but if you can get others to pay for you to work then you rake in all the profit then who's the mugs?

couldn't agree more, John. i've bought every one of the 75 or so tables and will continue to do so, even the games i don't like, so i'm one of their best customers, right? wrong. i do this because i love pinball, but i have no love whatsoever for the company that sells it, Farsight, and their business model. these greedy ****s have abandoned several tables that are still full of bugs, and still go cap in hand to us fanboys rather than pay their own costs.

kickstarter should be used for new companies, not companies that've been around for decades and have a successful profitable product currently on the market. if they need 100K, they can ****ing pay it themselves, the ****ers. **** those ****s and their **** **** ****ing **** bastard ****holes :mad:

I'm not really against them using Kickstarter. If you're not already aware all Kickstarter is is a promise to buy something when it comes out (and a refund if it fails). Sometimes the Kickstarter product is more expensive in the campaign phase (as seems the case here) but often it is cheaper

What I think could be interesting though, is that Stern will have an eye on this. The rumour mill says that Stern won't do another run of ACDC because of the high licence fees. But with Kickstarter they can remove the risk at their end. Could be interesting.

Last edited:
Oh I agree it's our fault. As a business who wouldn't be happy with a bunch of mugs giving free loans and underwriting all the risks? Farsight, Skit B, JPOP. At least farsight has delivered.

I actually haven't bought any pinball arcade stuff for the last couple of years. Thought it was overpriced and the ball action annoys me.

I've never supported any of their kickstarters in the past, at this point if they can't stand on their own 2 legs they don't have a sustainable business. I would be interested in the possibility of backing AC/DC (not the rediculous $150 mind some people have given them) IF we got the pro/premium and LE machines as part of it. If they are just going to do the Pro they can stuff it, and conveniently they seem to have left this information out on all their posts on kickstarter/facebook etc.

Still they don't seem to have much problems with getting $$$ for their kickstarters - I was suprised Dr Who did so well.

I'm surprised we're (maybe) getting AC/DC. I expected older Sterns first. Given that all Stern do is licenses you can expect more of these Kickstarters, although evidently Star Trek or Ghostbusters weren't expensive enough licenses to need it.

I'd speculate that they've had plans with Stern to start doing this for a good year or so. With that being the case I imagine that Stern probably negotiate for a virtual representation of the final game as part of their licence, then take a slice of Farsights sales in return

So Star Trek and Ghostbusters are very new and fall under this timeline, but stuff like LOTR would probably need relicensing (and kickstarting)

I'd speculate that they've had plans with Stern to start doing this for a good year or so. With that being the case I imagine that Stern probably negotiate for a virtual representation of the final game as part of their licence, then take a slice of Farsights sales in return

So Star Trek and Ghostbusters are very new and fall under this timeline, but stuff like LOTR would probably need relicensing (and kickstarting)

Good point, they did indeed announce something a year or so ago. I can't wait for the LOTR Kickstarter and it's many licenses. A million bucks anyone?

Whilst I wouldn't support the kickstarter itself I would buy once released properly.

However, it's not like ACDC are some small garage band who would sell their licence for peanuts. They are one of the biggest rock bands in the world so any fee for using their digital likeness and music collection would be very high so I can see why Farsight are asking for help on this like they have with other previous licenced tables

Farsight are making a sh*t ton on money off the Pinball Arcade at this stage in the software's lifecycle so asking your customers to still be funding your business is a major p*ss take :mad: It might have been needed at the very beginning to get the business up and running but definitely isn't now....they just do it because they can get away with it.

Their engine will be very stable by now so the only work they have to do for a new table is art assets and rules...both of which they're copying from something that already exists!!! Licencing is the only other thing they have to pay for and they put that on their customers.....it's a joke :sad:

Not that I want to point out the obvious but isn't the purpose of Kickstarter to...you know... get a business going? Not to help fund already successful businesses by taking the cost of projects away from them and passing them onto the public. By this stage if FarSight can't afford this on their own ultimately they are doing something wrong. Quite frankly I think they are just being a bit lazy at this stage and realise they can do this without having to pay for it themselves.

Also it royally gets on my tits when the guy keeps calling them 'Pin Tables' :D

The biggest joke is the 'awards' they are giving for pledges. You have to get to $250 level before its costing farsight anything (even then its only a t-shirt)

But as said above, if people fork out for it why wouldn't farsight do it...
Its the system that's wrong here or Farsights moral compass, kinda like the tax avoidance by the big corporations, the laws need changing, cant really blame the companies for saving money lawfully...

The Kickstarter is just a tool to reduce (or eliminate) risk. You can certainly argue that they should be big enough now to make these decisions/risks themselves. But if that was the case and they (eg) made a bad decision to splurge $500,000 on licencing LOTR (including all actors and so on), then promptly made a loss that eventually caused them to fold. That would be dumb.

So they play it smart. Kickstart these expensive licences. If the kickstarter suceeds, then go ahead with it. If not, then don't. No risk, no problem.

I'm a huge fan of kickstarter projects and would have no major issue for it being a general trend in other aspects of consumerism. Eg, if Pink Floyd said "we're thinking of doing an album. Pay us £1 million please fans". The band get their money. The fans that forked out in the kickstarter get some limited edition physical copies or something, and the world gets a free downloadable copy (because why not, it's all paid for right?)

The biggest joke is the 'awards' they are giving for pledges.

Gotta add to the biggest joke really is being the physics system. All that money pulled in and after all this time they can't get it playing anything like the real thing.

Last time I had any involvement with these was T2 kickstarter and what a POS that was. Shoddy Gfx, **** poor physics, broken promises. Cash cow, won't change.

Back
Top Bottom