What's new

Stern going online

• Thread starter Deleted member 2463
  • Start date
Great from a code updates point of view, but I wonder who at Stern is going to be responsible for making sure it isn't a hacking target for the ever growing IOT bot nets

I noticed Sharkeys had a modem back in 2000, dunno what it was use for, tournament scores etc:hmm:

1540106184750.png

About time too! International head to head play, here we go!

A great hobby that just keeps getting bigger and better! Not many hobbies can say that..!

Very excited by this, could even be via 5G and a nice big aerial inside the back box for better signal..

About time too! International head to head play, here we go!

A great hobby that just keeps getting bigger and better! Not many hobbies can say that..!

Very excited by this, could even be via 5G and a nice big aerial inside the back box for better signal..

I wouldn’t get your hopes up it will be the most basic and cheapest form of connection hell its prob dial up

To be honest @RudeDogg1 it's not the connection speed I'd be worried about, chances are it'll be ethernet which is cheap as anything from a production point of view - but I doubt the server infrastructure will be very sophisticated, at least in the short term.

Due to their, at times questionable quality control that could be a cluster fook waiting to happen, as well as potential security flaws. But, if done right could open up new avenues, time will tell

Maybe they are reintroducing what Lyman and gang invented for pin2k nearly 20 years ago and what I linked around the world 10 years ago

Online tournaments from varying locations are always fun

awesome. every stern game with a usb (sam & spike) could be done. fit your Stern usb wifi dongle, update the code, done. All have the tournament system and really, who is going to hack a SAM OS? not worth the time unless its fitted with a card reader.
And the usual "but they are all set different" argument is moot:
1) people on site don't care
2) tournament system sets the settings
3) if your site game isn't up to scratch you aren't going to get on the leaderboard, maybe make ops keep games 100%

IMO the reason they're on this is streaming. More free advertising.

Interested to see what they do.

Sell advertising space? Those bigger screens could be great little billboards.

If you're replying to me, it will incentivise more streaming of new Stern machines, and purchase of by streamers - who are 'influencers'. Online head to head, leaderboards and other stuff could make it more fun to watch, stream, and widen the audience.

Could add weekly or monthly objectives and goals. All sorts of stuff that would appeal to an audience, and get them more air time.

But yeah, there could be an option in the menu system to turn on demo reels or adverts for their latest products, in attract mode, on Spike 2 machines. DE did it back in the day ... and DE -> SEGA -> Stern.

Doubt it’s advertising - would be the first thing hacked out.

It’s not for streamers either. Best thing any pinball manufacturer could do would be to put HDMI out on the pinball machines, JJP, spooky and CGC could do this really easily.

Neil.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

To be honest @RudeDogg1 it's not the connection speed I'd be worried about, chances are it'll be ethernet which is cheap as anything from a production point of view - but I doubt the server infrastructure will be very sophisticated, at least in the short term.

Why not? Stick it on AWS and boom.

Many folks at stern worked in the video game industry and have a lot of experience in this space.

I wouldn’t get your hopes up it will be the most basic and cheapest form of connection hell its prob dial up

Probably WiFi which is now actually cheaper than making a dial up modem.

Don’t start building your hopes, carnt send games out with code so god help them with what crap they would produce for this, no money in it, and Stern are cheaper than a can of Lidl beans

Stern have sent out games without code in the past.

as long as they don't start rebooting for an update midway through a game...
:p

Can imagine the online leaderboards being dominated be people who have taken the glass off and "helped" the ball around the table :)

They'll have to have a glass removed switch for that!

no they wont, you have a mic in the machine and check the doplar shift. Anyway, it probably won't work unless it's on pay to play, tournament and the location registers. Not many site machines are going to be hackable by punters.

Back
Top Bottom