What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stern Ghostbusters

Finally managed to play GB at Tilt in Birmingham last night. Fantastic game - easily the best Pro Stern have put out in a long time. It makes the GoT Premium next to it look pretty bare in comparison! Also had a few games on The Hobbit which was ok, but not half as fun as GB. Can't wait for my Premium to arrive now!

Anyone noticed issues with the slimer bash toy responsiveness with the v1.04 code? After updating, my slimer didn't respond at all well to flipper smacks! I've gone back to v0.9. Also the sound, speech and music levels don't seem as good in the later code and seem to clash more and what is going on with the new shaded dmd font. Not a good choice.

Glad i had my backup. Plugged in alternative card and I'm back to glorious v0.9 with all my high scores and slimer working perfectly again. It even reflashed the node boards to

Do you think that might of done this for a reason ?
Like you say mine does not do much now, but before it was always in action, so they might of calmed it down a bit so we can enjoy the other features more.

After much play I agree Slimer is less sensitive now. Maybe they were trying to fix accidental activations from nudging. Hopefully they will fix this.

After much play I agree Slimer is less sensitive now. Maybe they were trying to fix accidental activations from nudging. Hopefully they will fix this.

Yeah i think they were trying to calm it down, but have gone too far the other way. Its not much use if the feature that lights modes doesn't respond. I found myself getting rather annoyed by it because it ended up just getting in the way. v0.9 is the answer until they address this

Yeah i think they were trying to calm it down, but have gone too far the other way. Its not much use if the feature that lights modes doesn't respond. I found myself getting rather annoyed by it because it ended up just getting in the way. v0.9 is the answer until they address this
It hasn't been bothering me as a good shot always registers. The drops not dropping is more of an issue, they may as well be pop up posts at the moment. I've adjusted the spring tension and thats improved things but they still do it, and being where they are they are almost certain death when you hit them squarely. The outlane bars being too low is quite easy to fix, just knock through from underneath with a punch ( don't go crazy! ) .

It hasn't been bothering me as a good shot always registers. The drops not dropping is more of an issue, they may as well be pop up posts at the moment. I've adjusted the spring tension and thats improved things but they still do it, and being where they are they are almost certain death when you hit them squarely. The outlane bars being too low is quite easy to fix, just knock through from underneath with a punch ( don't go crazy! ) .

I think i'll just stick with v0.9 for now. How's your shooter lane? I added some mylar protection last week as the clear doesn't seem that hard on them currently.

IMG_5770.JPG

Good call, mine is showing signs of wear there too. Think I better get some mylar on there also.

Cliffys on the case for his top notch metal protectors but they aren't out yet. I was hoping the playfields would stand up to a few hundred games ok whilst we wait for them, but seems the clear needed longer to harden properly. My twd playfield hasn't marked at all yet.

I try not to hit the drop targets now as like you say a head on shot is just going to come back at you over the flippers.
Also when I do hit Slimer now just one or two ramps become lit, where on the old software im sure most of the ramps would be lit up green.
The only thing I would of liked to see is the 3 ball toy changed so it would keep the first ball locked and not make you start it again every time you lose a ball, so would have a better chance of getting Storage Facility lit.

I try not to hit the drop targets now as like you say a head on shot is just going to come back at you over the flippers.
Also when I do hit Slimer now just one or two ramps become lit, where on the old software im sure most of the ramps would be lit up green.
The only thing I would of liked to see is the 3 ball toy changed so it would keep the first ball locked and not make you start it again every time you lose a ball, so would have a better chance of getting Storage Facility lit.
I really do need to try the old rom version, I haven't had any probs with my drop targets yet, touch wood! Moved my games around so now ghostbusters in next to Bttf

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    141.2 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    115.4 KB · Views: 31
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    118 KB · Views: 35
Just been reading a ton of reviews from the Pinfest show. Seems like GB was incredibly popular with many ordering on the spot. This is going to be one of Stern's biggest ever sellers.

Hobbit. Opposite reaction with people saying too much space, long ball times, floaty, dull but an incredibly beautiful pin.

Hobbit and ghostbusters are at at TILT Birmingham. Played em both for twenty minutes each - hardly enough time to make an option but yes, The Hobbit looked beautiful but seemed slow. Ghostbusters much quicker but I'm not a fan of the film.
I need to get back to TILT and play them more - problem is that I gravitate towards TAF and MM ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just been reading a ton of reviews from the Pinfest show. Seems like GB was incredibly popular with many ordering on the spot. This is going to be one of Stern's biggest ever sellers.

Hobbit. Opposite reaction with people saying too much space, long ball times, floaty, dull but an incredibly beautiful pin.

Not surprising. Stern are not stupid and have been around forever. They know how to stay in business

Hobbit is a game that needs to be played in a quiet environment to understand it.

Hobbit and ghostbusters are at at TILT Birmingham. Played em both for twenty minutes each - hardly enough time to make an option but yes, The Hobbit looked beautiful but seemed slow. Ghostbusters much quicker but I'm not a fan of the film.
I need to get back to TILT and play them more - problem is that I gravitate towards TAF and MM ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think the modern sterns and JJP games with super bright LED lighting and rgb lamp inserts as well as improved hardware processing and sound systems really make the 90s stuff feel old now which didn't happen until recently. Things have moved on now. Reminds me of the change from alphanumeric to dmd in 91

Well the 90s pins still top all the polls of favourite games, so I'm not sure I agree entirely.

Stern definitely upped their game when JJP came along and now Heighway too so competition will keep them all from getting complacent.

I used to be very anti-Stern until fairly recently, nowadays I think they're on an even footing with Bally Williams (who stopped making pins 17 years ago).

Poor Hobbit reviews gotta be seriously bad news for the future of JJP.

Well the 90s pins still top all the polls of favourite games, so I'm not sure I agree entirely.

Stern definitely upped their game when JJP came along and now Heighway too so competition will keep them all from getting complacent.

I used to be very anti-Stern until fairly recently, nowadays I think they're on an even footing with Bally Williams (who stopped making pins 17 years ago).

Poor Hobbit reviews gotta be seriously bad news for the future of JJP.
Yes, a lot of pressure on JJP 3, Pat's game. Supposed to be done by Expo. 4 magnets and various other bits. Some sort of 2 way mirror and use of mobile phone, narrow body.

Pressure on as it needs to be a 100% home run!

Just my personal view Dan. I am probably a little biased as i've been collecting for so long (+25 years) the old 90s WMS games are boring to me these days and as mentioned i have been after new games to get my playing interest up again in the games room

Yes, a lot of pressure on JJP 3, Pat's game. Supposed to be done by Expo. 4 magnets and various other bits. Some sort of 2 way mirror and use of mobile phone, narrow body.

Pressure on as it needs to be a 100% home run!

Standard width body will be interesting to see from jjp

Just my personal view Dan. I am probably a little biased as i've been collecting for so long (+25 years) the old 90s WMS games are boring to me these days and as mentioned i have been after new games to get my playing interest up again in the games room
Curious. I am in exactly the same place as you Jim (and I don't mean geographically although we are very close).
I bought my first Stern recently and love the gameplay on it. I now have 2 with 3 and 4 to come in shortly. I think it also doesn't help that with the majority of Bally/Williams having been around for 20+ years many of us have played them to death.
As for build quality and looks then Bally/Williams wins hands down.

I think JJP spends too long trying to make a perfect game. WOZ could be excused because it was their first game and had some novel stuff on it. Hobbit looks very run of the mill (from a design point of view) and should have been out a long time ago.

Hopefully the hand drawn artwork in Ghostbusters is a sign of good things to come in the looks dept, but I doubt they'll ever increase build quality.
True. As long as they don't fall apart and I don't think there has been any evidence of that.

Hopefully the hand drawn artwork in Ghostbusters is a sign of good things to come in the looks dept, but I doubt they'll ever increase build quality.
The thing is with the amount of GB they are selling they don't need to increase BOM. Heck they are the only ones left with red dots and they are still outselling all their competitors massively.

Hobbit is amazing really in that the amount of time and money put into the game and really they got it wrong with the initial p/f design. So, everyone hopes the code will rescue it which isn't a good sign.

Jack wanted to outdo Gary and so widebody was his unique selling point but really he should have just set out to make better games and consider the evidence that pinball seems to work better in narrow bodies.

Is it non-ghosting? :clap::rofl::clap:

Some chumps over on pinside told me it would be too fragile for a topper, but i thought whatever, give it a go. Nicely made item. Will see about fabricating a bracket to secure to the top of the backbox

So, i got it since yesterday for one month.
this is a very difficult game with lots of drains. Flippers gap is 1cm larger than on my GoT!!
Outlanes metal guides are not enough tall, many balls jump over them.
However there is a great artwork playfield and original layout. Maybe great rules If you manage to survive and see What this game can offer. Video mode is average.
This game is too much difficult coz of drains for casual or average players imo. My highest score is 490M for the moment but i can't take any pleasure. Too much brutal for me.

Im still trying to get past 300M, varry hard game and if I was paying £1 a go I would of walked away.
My biggest problem is those drop targets that dont drop on a direct hit.

Back
Top Bottom