What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Star wars has died

When I'm near a computer I can look up what they would be and pass the links if you need. Pinball scary at first, I've been there 👍
I would class my self as a semi novice, there far more skilled people on here, but have rebuilt three machines now, one totally 💩💩💩. Without the kind advice from people on this forum I wouldn't have had a clue and would be still looking at a sttng ⚰️ which would be all it was fit for 🤣

I would class my self as a semi novice, there far more skilled people on here, but have rebuilt three machines now, one totally 💩💩💩. Without the kind advice from people on this forum I wouldn't have had a clue and would be still looking at a sttng ⚰️ which would be all it was fit for 🤣
I'm the same. I'm still learning. I've gained some knowledge on here which is appreciated. With the great help here I'm sure I'll be shooting the death star soon 🙂

Hi Soulman - welcome to the wonderful world of pinball machines throwing a wobbly o_O Don't panic , it happens and you will get it sorted out.

As others have said the original power supply boards can be problematic , however you have a replacement which *should* in theory be ok.

I have had a Star Wars machine exhibit what could only be described as a mental breakdown with very odd behaviour across the board ....sounds/lights/mechanisms all going crazy . It turned out to be simply a failing ribbon cable. If yours are old it could be worth just investing in a new set to eliminate any potential issues with those.

Regarding the CPU lights, yours look correct , this info taken from Pinwiki

5.6.1 Data East CPU Board LED Flash Sequence at Boot Up When Working Properly​

View attachment 243742
Data East CPU - Location of diagnostic LEDs

Much like the Williams System 11 CPU, the Data East CPU performs a basic diagnostics procedure and produces a series of LED flashes to indicate potential boot issues. The CPU automatically tests the PIAs, RAM and EPROMs at each boot.

With all tests passed, the LEDs illuminate in the following sequence at power-on:

• The PIA and +5V LEDs illuminate immediately
  • Approximately 1/2-second later the PIA led is turned off and the Blanking LED illuminates
  • +5V and Blanking LEDs are illuminated until the game is turned off.
  • If a failure is detected on major board components, the PIA LED will display a flash code:
Don't know if I've replied to you but please see picture. That fuse is dead.

Attachments

• 20240207_163116.jpg
    20240207_163116.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 16
It's almost certainly the fuse then causing, get some from pinball heaven, retro arcade or pinball mania

Get a couple of each in the machine

The manual will tell you what, SB stands for slow burn.

They are unique so don't be tempted with putting a fuse from b&q in 😄 (im joking) also don't necessarily take what's already in it, someone previously might have put the wrong one in, go by the manual, although the manual I've been told can occasionally be wrong on some machines

There is a possibility that a short somewhere under the playfield has caused it to blow, but your soon know when you change the fuse. Hence why a good idea to get at least a couple of each.
I did wonder if I could get them in town but believed they'd be unique. I'll go to pinball heaven or similar. I'll check the manual. Thank you.

The fuse that’s blown is pretty important, I remember it going on mine and took me ages to find it as checked all the board fuses first. The rotten dog boards don’t have a great reputation for reliability- this may have changed with a new version.

The fuse that’s blown is pretty important, I remember it going on mine and took me ages to find it as checked all the board fuses first. The rotten dog boards don’t have a great reputation for reliability- this may have changed with a new version.

Let's hope it is something as simple as that fuse.

It may be an old fuse failing, it may be a short somewhere on that circuit. You will know when you swap the fuse but they do fail and it isn't a short.

these ones:

Confirmed length based upon here:

Probably good to get 10x 5amp and a couple of 7, 8 and 0.5

the postage on this is high in comparision to cost, so best to get more than you need.

Last edited:
these ones:

Confirmed length based upon here:

Probably good to get 10x 5amp and a couple of 7, 8 and 0.5

the postage on this is high, so best to get more than you need.
That's the one that's blown but am going to check manual before I put any new ones in. I've just ordered a big pack of various fuses. I'm really hoping it's just that fuse that's causing issues. I'm no electronics expert but it does seem a bit weird that 1 fuse could make it lose lights, sound and the display.

That's the one that's blown but am going to check manual before I put any new ones in. I've just ordered a big pack of various fuses. I'm really hoping it's just that fuse that's causing issues. I'm no electronics expert but it does seem a bit weird that 1 fuse could make it lose lights, sound and the display.
dont worry, the fuse can

each part of the pinball machine is on a circuit, flows round from the board, through the machine and back, the fuse protects the circuit board from being overloaded, it blowing breaks the circuit, which in turn stops anything on the circuit from working. No different to a house, when a fuse trips in your fuse box and takes out your kitchen or all the upstairs lights.

Appreciate this explination might be slightly off, but its the general idea

Last edited:
The screen shots from the data east manual for star wars, its correct, dispalyed twice as the image was cut and pasted

machine has 5amp 7am, 8amp and 0.5 amp slow burn fuses, mainly 5amp

each part of the pinball machine is on a circuit, flows round from the board, through the machine and back, the fuse protects the circuit board from being overloaded, it blowing breaks the circuit, which in turn stops anything on the circuit from working. No different to a house, when a fuse trips in your fuse box and takes out your kitchen or all the upstairs lights.
True.

What happened was....

At first the sound went intermittent (all lights and display still working). Then after I messed about taking out cables and Replacing them some lights stopped working (push to start game one and the pops ones), then not long after the display went. One cable was misaligned until someone spotted it here on the picture. Not sure that contributed.

True.

What happened was....

At first the sound went intermittent (all lights and display still working). Then after I messed about taking out cables and Replacing them some lights stopped working (push to start game one and the pops ones), then not long after the display went. One cable was misaligned until someone spotted it here on the picture. Not sure that contributed.

Sound sounds like a voltage drop to the sound board, based on thw quick read of that wikki guide, which might have indicated the fuse was perhaps about to go, (guessing, probably wrong ) 🤷‍♀️

the cable misaligned having done that on a williams might have then blown the fuse.

wouldnt worry about it, im sure the fuse will hopefully solve it.

Sound sounds like a voltage drop to the sound board, based on thw quick read of that wikki guide, which might have indicated the fuse was perhaps about to go, (guessing, probably wrong ) 🤷‍♀️

the cable misaligned having done that on a williams might have then blown the fuse.

wouldnt worry about it, im sure the fuse will hopefully solve it.
Thanks mate. I'll update ASAP with hopefully good news. Everyone here has been brilliant.

BR (bridge rectifier) fuses are 8 amp slow blow.

It's a paragraph in the section of the original link that I posted. If you're lucky it's just a tired fuse. If unlucky you either have a short in the game causing the fuse to blow (protects the BR) or the BR has died (fuse protects the rest of the game).

BR (bridge rectifier) fuses are 8 amp slow blow.

It's a paragraph in the section of the original link that I posted. If you're lucky it's just a tired fuse. If unlucky you either have a short in the game causing the fuse to blow (protects the BR) or the BR has died (fuse protects the rest of the game).
Thanks for that. If fuse replacement doesn't work I'm going to have no choice but to get an engineer out. I can do basics but am not competent enough with electronics. I could replace the ribbon cables but how far do you go before you resolve it? Can go on forever.

My advice is to stay positive with these older machines. And you really are getting the best advice you can to fix it.

@Moonraker runs a pinball club with 20 machines in it. He spends a lot of time fixing machines, and he has a lot of experience.

For me, this can be a rewarding part of owning 30 year old machines that were not expected to be around this long. These maintenance tasks keep them playing for the future and if you can do it yourself, your machine will more often be there to be played.

Thanks for that. If fuse replacement doesn't work I'm going to have no choice but to get an engineer out. I can do basics but am not competent enough with electronics. I could replace the ribbon cables but how far do you go before you resolve it? Can go on forever.
Don't worry if it is that Jim @myPinballs can repair, as others on this site. Just a matter of taking the board out and sending it. I've sent him boards before, always done an amazing job.

You have moved CN4 one pin out, this has caused the fuse to blow. You have put 18v unreg to earth. There is no key on this connector so easily done. Replace the fuse first.

Back
Top Bottom