What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Star wars has died

Soulman

Registered
Hi pinball friends,

I'm new here. I have DESW which is mint. Was playing tonight when all of a sudden for no reason the sound started playing up. It said 'may the force be with you' with no background music. In play the sound momentarily came on then went off and on randomly. I unplugged the ribbon cables and plugged back in. Worked OK for 10 seconds then sound lost again. Now the display screen and pop lights are not working. It still plays but with no sound at all now. I'm baffled and a bit annoyed as I paid good money for it not long ago. Because its light and sound I'm conerned what it the problem is. Would anyone have any ideas? Many thanks.

Are their still AA batteries on the mainboard, if so have a check and make sure they've not leaked and caused damage on the board.

Its pretty common on older machines that used them for saving settings, you can replace the memory chip with an NVRAM that doesnt need the onboard batteries anymore.

I replaced the batteries last night with Duracell ones. The old ones were clean. A reply here said it could be the PSU. I may have to try a replacement.

Welcome to the forum.

It sounds like you're missing a voltage from the power supply (at a guess I'd say it's the 12v supply). The fuse clips are notorious for giving up on the DE PSU, with a leaky cap and dead BR a close 2nd or 3rd. More details can be found here: https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Data_East/Sega#Power_Problems

If you wish to treat it to a new PSU (which may or may not sort the issue) then one can be purchased here: https://www.pinballdisplays.co.uk/product-p/dps005.htm
Many thanks. I don't want to buy every component until I find the fault but I have a feeling about the PSU so may be worth a replacement.
The cost isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be so may be worth giving it a go. I'll look at the power problem details (thank you for that).
It just seems weird that in the middle of play it suddenly goes berserk.

First job, check your fuses. it could be as simple as that.
They all looked good last night but I'll have a thorough look later. I don't have a meter but visually all look good and no breaks in the fuses.

They all looked good last night but I'll have a thorough look later. I don't have a meter but visually all look good and no breaks in the fuses.
You cannot reliably visually test fuses because they sometimes blow at the end inside the metal cap, so you cannot see the break. The only true way to test them is to remove from the game and test with a meter or a battery and a bulb.

You cannot reliably visually test fuses because they sometimes blow at the end inside the metal cap, so you cannot see the break. The only true way to test them is to remove from the game and test with a meter or a battery and a bulb.
OK cool, I'll try that to eliminate the simpler things 1st.

Reseat the 3x3 power connector on the power board. Post a pic of the power board, it could be a new Rottendog already in there.

Are all 3 lights suppose to be on?

Attachments

• 1707309552578170270388331659806.jpg
    1707309552578170270388331659806.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 14
Are all 3 lights suppose to be on?
Hi Soulman - welcome to the wonderful world of pinball machines throwing a wobbly o_O Don't panic , it happens and you will get it sorted out.

As others have said the original power supply boards can be problematic , however you have a replacement which *should* in theory be ok.

I have had a Star Wars machine exhibit what could only be described as a mental breakdown with very odd behaviour across the board ....sounds/lights/mechanisms all going crazy . It turned out to be simply a failing ribbon cable. If yours are old it could be worth just investing in a new set to eliminate any potential issues with those.

Regarding the CPU lights, yours look correct , this info taken from Pinwiki

5.6.1 Data East CPU Board LED Flash Sequence at Boot Up When Working Properly​

300px-De_cpu_marked_LEDs.JPG
Data East CPU - Location of diagnostic LEDs

Much like the Williams System 11 CPU, the Data East CPU performs a basic diagnostics procedure and produces a series of LED flashes to indicate potential boot issues. The CPU automatically tests the PIAs, RAM and EPROMs at each boot.

With all tests passed, the LEDs illuminate in the following sequence at power-on:

• The PIA and +5V LEDs illuminate immediately
  • Approximately 1/2-second later the PIA led is turned off and the Blanking LED illuminates
  • +5V and Blanking LEDs are illuminated until the game is turned off.
  • If a failure is detected on major board components, the PIA LED will display a flash code:

Hi pinball friends,

I'm new here. I have DESW which is mint. Was playing tonight when all of a sudden for no reason the sound started playing up. It said 'may the force be with you' with no background music. In play the sound momentarily came on then went off and on randomly. I unplugged the ribbon cables and plugged back in. Worked OK for 10 seconds then sound lost again. Now the display screen and pop lights are not working. It still plays but with no sound at all now. I'm baffled and a bit annoyed as I paid good money for it not long ago. Because its light and sound I'm conerned what it the problem is. Would anyone have any ideas? Many thanks.
Hi, based upon the other trouble shooting test done, there is a possibly the ribbon cable might not be in correctly, it's easily done with one pin out, try taking the ribbon cable out and turning it around. I remember with my first machine sttng I took the ribbon out and accidentally plugged it in wrong, one pin out and it did something similar, screen off, lights off.

Hi, based upon the other trouble shooting test done, there is a possibly the ribbon cable might not be in correctly, it's easily done with one pin out, try taking the ribbon cable out and turning it around. I remember with my first machine sttng I took the ribbon out and accidentally plugged it in wrong, one pin out and it did something similar, screen off, lights off.
I've had them out and back in. All sitting well. I have tested the fuses. One of them is dead (circled in the picture). I have no idea what this fuse protects or if it will be why no sound and some lights off, including the start game button light.

Attachments

• 20240207_163116.jpg
    20240207_163116.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 19
Hi Soulman - welcome to the wonderful world of pinball machines throwing a wobbly o_O Don't panic , it happens and you will get it sorted out.

As others have said the original power supply boards can be problematic , however you have a replacement which *should* in theory be ok.

I have had a Star Wars machine exhibit what could only be described as a mental breakdown with very odd behaviour across the board ....sounds/lights/mechanisms all going crazy . It turned out to be simply a failing ribbon cable. If yours are old it could be worth just investing in a new set to eliminate any potential issues with those.

Regarding the CPU lights, yours look correct , this info taken from Pinwiki

5.6.1 Data East CPU Board LED Flash Sequence at Boot Up When Working Properly​

View attachment 243742
Data East CPU - Location of diagnostic LEDs

Much like the Williams System 11 CPU, the Data East CPU performs a basic diagnostics procedure and produces a series of LED flashes to indicate potential boot issues. The CPU automatically tests the PIAs, RAM and EPROMs at each boot.

With all tests passed, the LEDs illuminate in the following sequence at power-on:

• The PIA and +5V LEDs illuminate immediately
  • Approximately 1/2-second later the PIA led is turned off and the Blanking LED illuminates
  • +5V and Blanking LEDs are illuminated until the game is turned off.
  • If a failure is detected on major board components, the PIA LED will display a flash code:
Thanks for all that info, it's really good to know. I've just replied to someone letting them know a fuse is dead. There's a picture here. No idea if it would cause sound AND lighting issues. From what you've said I have just learnt that the power supply board is the latest (Rottendog). I'm learning daily.

It's almost certainly the fuse then causing, get some from pinball heaven, retro arcade or pinball mania

Get a couple of each in the machine

The manual will tell you what, SB stands for slow burn.

They are unique so don't be tempted with putting a fuse from b&q in 😄 (im joking) also don't necessarily take what's already in it, someone previously might have put the wrong one in, go by the manual, although the manual I've been told can occasionally be wrong on some machines

There is a possibility that a short somewhere under the playfield has caused it to blow, but your soon know when you change the fuse. Hence why a good idea to get at least a couple of each.

When I'm near a computer I can look up what they would be and pass the links if you need. Pinball scary at first, I've been there 👍

Back
Top Bottom