What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

J85M

Registered
3175B27A-BF9E-4419-B11B-F4A238D61DBB.jpeg

Star Trek is back and @ warp9!

Didn’t see a thread on it here already and after watching through season 1 of SNW I was curious if anyone else enjoyed it as much as I did, especially after the utterly terrible Discovery.

I found SNW rekindled my enjoyment in Star Trek the same way Mando rekindled my love for Star Wars.

So what did others think? Is Star Trek back on track? Did SNW bring Star Trek back from the dead like Mando did Star Wars?

Sounds like the xfiles, you gotta take the rough with the smooth.

Will check it out 👍

I thought it was really strong.

It was nice after the **** show that ended up being S2 of Picard.
And a nice return to something a bit more episodic, without fully ditching season arcs.

Best new Trek since DS9?

I thought it was really strong.

It was nice after the **** show that ended up being S2 of Picard.
And a nice return to something a bit more episodic, without fully ditching season arcs.

Best new Trek since DS9?
Based on one season I would still say it’s easily the best trek since DS9 and Voyager, I really enjoyed Voyager although it’s hated by some.

Enterprise was boring and Discovery was f’n garbage that somehow managed to become more and more blatantly WOKE with every episode, also found the characters in discovery unlikable. Every episode was Micheal, Micheal, Micheal. Love how SNW makes it about the crew working together or units within that crew.

Which brings me onto the only part of discovery that was good as well as it’s only saving grace - the SNW Enterprise crew being introduced creating this spin off!

just watched ep1. very good. back to the original. only problem is it’s almost like a rerun of the original, but maybe that’s it’s strength.

just watched ep1. very good. back to the original. only problem is it’s almost like a rerun of the original, but maybe that’s it’s strength.
Maybe it is, I didn’t feel it was retreading old ground, other than the classic characters returning.

I'll start watching this week but some of the comments on here are most promising.

They've just announced a crossover between Lower decks and SNW where it will supposedly be part live action and part animation!! Er...ok - lets see how it goes.
The report I read made it sound like the two main characters will show up in NSW in live action. I could have totally misread it mind you but that was the impression I got from the report I read.

I'll start watching this week but some of the comments on here are most promising.
It’s well worth a watch mate, obviously some will complain no matter what, but it feels like Star Trek in the same way Mando felt like Star Wars, plus the cast is fantastic!

The report I read made it sound like the two main characters will show up in NSW in live action. I could have totally misread it mind you but that was the impression I got from the report I read.
I hope that’s the case - would seem the most likely, but I read a bunch of articles that had interpreted it as a mix.

I hope that’s the case - would seem the most likely, but I read a bunch of articles that had interpreted it as a mix.
Well if season 2 is as good as season 1, I’ll trust them to do a good job hopefully.

Tried going back to watch discovery again today and nope it’s still ****, Kurtzman stepping away from writing on SNW was a blessing!

I'm not a fan of Mando but liked what you said about Voyager earlier in the thread and that's good enough for me.

I was perfectly happy with the format used in Voyager, Net Gen, DS9 and even Enterprise. I don't particularly need my Star Trek to feel like a Hollywood blockbuster.

I enjoy the dynamics of a starship, away missions, character development and discovering new species. Obviously a bit of festering old Romulan or Klingon resentment is good too but I don't want a series based on historical feuding and an in depth insight into the politics of it.

Star Wars lost me when with all that political senate nonsense and Star Trek took a similar journey up it's own @rse recently. If I want to watch political ambition and a thrilling plot then I'll binge House of cards or Game of Thrones.

As for Star Trek . . . . I'll have a portion of species 8472 v Federation & Borg with a side order of Viidian skulduggery please. I'm looking forward to starting this new series.

Strange New Worlds is outstanding - amazing scripts - epic nods to other Star Trek and proper stories, the final episode is simply the nuts.

and @Arv Star Trek has _always_ been woke that’s the whole point of it.

0533ED10-DB66-4A56-9346-C7EE4D5655FE.jpeg

I stopped watching most ST shows after DS9. STTNG was generally a great series- the movies were so so. Can’t comment on the new show but that below decks thing was terrible and Picard also a steaming turd. Hope this is a turning point in ST as it’s been short changed by producers living off the name for too long- it deserves better and something more in the spirit of the originals.

I stopped watching most ST shows after DS9. STTNG was generally a great series- the movies were so so. Can’t comment on the new show but that below decks thing was terrible and Picard also a steaming turd. Hope this is a turning point in ST as it’s been short changed by producers living off the name for too long- it deserves better and something more in the spirit of the originals.
SNW brings the original series into the modern era, episode 8 is classic Star Trek/TNG

Star Trek hasn't always been woke stop talking out your ****.

LOL

it was woke from the pilot episode with Uma; a woman; on the bridge, in fact it was so woke they did a second pilot because a woman second in command was a no go area they almost got rid of Spock then too!

A Private Little War
space seed
balance of terror
the alternative factor
The City on the edge of forever

an asian helmsman, a female black communications officer. an alien as second in command.
a Russian navigator
William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy both of them Jewish...

You might think that in this day and age this isn't woke but in the 60's its was mega woke.

Roddenberry himself talks about social injustice in many interviews and his fight with desilu and paramount not to water this down.

I'm not a fan of Mando but liked what you said about Voyager earlier in the thread and that's good enough for me.

I was perfectly happy with the format used in Voyager, Net Gen, DS9 and even Enterprise. I don't particularly need my Star Trek to feel like a Hollywood blockbuster.

I enjoy the dynamics of a starship, away missions, character development and discovering new species. Obviously a bit of festering old Romulan or Klingon resentment is good too but I don't want a series based on historical feuding and an in depth insight into the politics of it.

Star Wars lost me when with all that political senate nonsense and Star Trek took a similar journey up it's own @rse recently. If I want to watch political ambition and a thrilling plot then I'll binge House of cards or Game of Thrones.

As for Star Trek . . . . I'll have a portion of species 8472 v Federation & Borg with a side order of Viidian skulduggery please. I'm looking forward to starting this new series.

I've just finished Strange New Worlds and it was decent. A more honest interpretation of what I've loved about Star Trek and a far truer representation than Discovery or Picard.

I've also just started Andor and have to say that it's Disney's best work on the Lucas/Star Wars franchise by some distance. I'm just amazed that the same company can get so much right when so much was wrong in almost every other interpretation of the Star Wars world they've produced.

The cinematography has been decent on everything to be fair and some of the casting on Mando was okay. But this is on a different level. . . casting, script, character progression, story-line, music score, directing and editing. It makes Kenobi look like a year one project from a media student (albeit with an unlimited budget).

I'm so fed up with the modern day butchering of everything from Star Wars/Star Trek/Lord or the Rings that I almost didn't bother with this but it's really good.

It's a slow burner and subtle but whoever is involved has either learnt massively from Mando, Fett & Kenobi or it's a completely different team of filmmakers altogether.

Most importantly the acting is good. Even the two throw-away characters in the bar during episode one are cast well and give a good performance.

Picard season 3 is out and it's unrecognisable.

I'm only two episodes in but it's the best Star Trek I've seen in years
Best thing they did was kick the writting team from seasons 1 & 2 out the door and bring in a few writers that know what Star Trek is. Like you said mate if I didn’t know it was season 3 you would think it’s a completely different show, season 2 was horrendous!

Back
Top Bottom