What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Star Trek 25th anniversary GI and may be other problems

arakissun

Registered
Begin to clean the playfield and replace the bulbs.
Upper left and upper right not lights.
Connectors on PSU and PPB from both sides are fine,fuses and holders are fine too and everything was reflowed.

Checked all sockets with bulbs(on the upper left and right plf) on them and all sockets are fine.
Traced under the playfield the connections between these sockets and everything is fine.
If I can see the colours are purple and white/purple.
Traced both wires to PPB and PSU and they are fine.
All unworking bulbs are connected to these wires

Any help what to check more or idea to tell me the trace of the upper left and right?

Hm,tried to remove all bulbs from plf.
Put only bulbs in problematic string and they worked.
Put all bulbs and problem again.
Removed again all bulbs,left only the problematic and again they don't work.
I think to try with new wire from playfield first to PSU if not work with new wire to PPB and if this not work to change the connectors even they to look good.

ac across ps cn8 pins9 and 4 is 5.6V.
ac across ps cn8 pins2 and 7 is 5.6V too.But all lamps work at this string.

I am sure there is an in line connector plug break, manually follow cables to that and check it there

As usually-the connectors.Even they looked fine I replaced them on both PSU and PPB board.Now all lamps works.
I can continue of restoring it but will post for eventually future problems here.

Can anyone tell me if on this gate must have typical wire?
And if have it how it must looks?

Attachments

• Gate.jpg
    Gate.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 13
Any idea how it must look the switch at auto ball assy?
Some part number or pics will be helpful.

P.S.Found

Last edited:
Need help again.

Need to now to trace of Turbo Boost and Knocker.

1.Transistors
2.Boards
3.Wires

I have this problem:
Both Turbo and Knocker share same power wire-Yellow/Purple

When I turn on the machine it blow F5.
Disconnected J4 on PPB.Fuse is fine.
When I connect-it blow.
So I begin to eliminate the problem and finished whit this-no matter if Knocker or Turbo are connected(soldered),when I push launch button-it blow the fuse.
When I desodered them,fuse is fine and the game is fully playable.
I measured the coils with DMM and their diodes-all fine.
So it left to be their transistors.
Tried to read the schematics but it's hard to find which transistors on which board control them.

At my configuration the Yellow/Purple is connected to the banned side of the coils which I think is right.This must be the power write,right?

Found somehow that Q5(Turbo kicker) was bad.
Tested it with DMM first time looked good.Compared it's values with the other TIPs.They were same.
But when tested it's resistor R15 220Omh it's show some not normal reading like 7 Omh.
Just cut one one of the legs of R15 and tested.220 Omh.So the resistor was fine and the only one that can cause this anomaly is it's TIP(Q5)
I know that even these TIP36 to reading fine they can be fail.
So changed it with brand new.Measured R15-it's fine now.It left to test when I put everything in the machine.

But are these TIP36c have it's pre-drive transistor on CPU board?
I think they must have it but cannot trace them.

Thank you and already made some trace,but if someone can confirm:

Turbo Kicker
Vio/Org->J8(2)->Q5->J8(1)->J2(7)->D3,D11->J1(3)->Gry/Orn->CN11(4) SOL. DRIVER 3 Q44

Knocker
Vio/Gry->J8(4)->Q4->J8(3)->J2(1)->D8,D16->J1(8)->Gry/Blk->CN11(9) SOL. DRIVER 3 Q39

And how to understand whi are the flashers and inserts for this transistors?
May be they share same wires?
Hate to work on DE machines,sorry for these questions.
Hate them may be because they are System 11 based,nothin next gen for it's time like Williams/Bally.

Q5 and Q44 drives Turbo Kicker and 2 inserts with two flashers

Similar for Q4 and Q39

May be if some flasher is shorted may cause to short and it's transistor.
That's why I want to check and these flasher before turn the machine on but how to know which one.

There is a pf diagram on Pg 28 that numbers the flashers. The diagram on Pg 29 shows the wire colours to the flashers e.g. for Turbo Boost Black/Orange. The flasher numbers are referred on the schematic on Pg 46 so Black/Orange to flashers 3B for example, the Knocker seems to be paired with flashers 8B. Why the diagram on Pg 29 doesn't reference the flasher numbers I don't know!

I don't have ST25 so can't check things physically but I have another of the 128x16 DE machines so am very familiar with the schematics.

Edit. Don't always trust the manual, on Pg 29 it shows the Knocker PPB driver as Q3!

Got the idea.Thank you so much.
So tested all flasher's sockets and they are fine.Now left to turn on the machine and to see what will happen.

I wounder could correspondence insert lamps sockets can fry the transistor?
Ask this because cannot find the location for 3A(Turbo kicker) and 8A(Knocker) insert lamps.

OK.Turn on the machine and when activated the Turbo Kicker it fried the transistor and R15.
Again replaced them with new.
And returned the original 23-800 coil that was previous there(I changed it with better looking 23-800).I know that it must be 22-600.
Now everything is fine.Looks like the better looking and of course with normal readings coil had some problem.Throw it in the trash.

Left these things:
1.To see some video with how the backglass animation work.I need to see how the mechanism push the glass.

2."Fire photon torpedo" I can see some pulse light during gameplay.I think it must light only when launch the ball not during the gameplay.
Also left "Jackpot" lights/pulse again during the gameplay.But when it's in attract mode it light normal with the other inserts.
Any help here?May be the diode on the sockets are bad or just the sockets?

Back
Top Bottom