What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spike Backbox LED's Dead

Sam C

Site Supporter
Alias
Archy
Hi all, picked up this IM a few weeks ago. I'll let the video I recorded speak for itself to describe the problem...

Found this thread on pinside also that said U33 was to blame but I don't really do board repairs (Especially on these teeny tiny chips on SPIKE boards), wondering if anyone could advise where I might get this chip replaced to see if it solves the issue or indeed if there is something else I can try?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gble-backbox-leds-not-working

Me personally I would reflash the firmware for the spike board.

Not that I think it would fix it, but first thing I'd try.

Have you upgraded anything at all since you bought it?

Me personally I would reflash the firmware for the spike board.

Not that I think it would fix it, but first thing I'd try.

How's that done? Is it something I can do on the game or is it a case of redownloading the software onto the SD card and then popping it back in the board?

Worth a go at least.

No not changed a thing since I bought it. It doesn't have any light mods or anything that might bugger the board.

Last edited:
I think it's on the update for the game iirc. Is it at the latest revision?

Does U33 look intact or too small to tell?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure they’re not set to zero brightness in attract mode? Is it the same in a game?

I have mine at 100% for attract, 35ish for gameplay.

(can’t watch video as I’m out)

I think it's on the update for the game iirc. Is it at the latest revision?

I think so but doesn't hurt to try, I'll give it a go tomorrow.

Does U33 look intact or too small to tell?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a good look at it, didn't look like it was bad in any way when I had the board off.

Sure they’re not set to zero brightness in attract mode? Is it the same in a game?

I have mine at 100% for attract, 35ish for gameplay.

(can’t watch video as I’m out)

All were set to 100% and I dropped the settings on all 3 that control those lights to 97% ish - previously when I did this the LED's suddenly came back to life but now not even that works.

Thanks all, I've got a few things to try tomorrow as it's getting late now. A friend suggested Jim should I not have any luck with the firmware and also a factory reset. I'll update the thread tomorrow once I've tried those things.

The cheap fix, get some 12v LEDs and stick them next to the CPU board. Then put a DC-DC convertor on the power supply to feed them. Not ideal but the cheapest.

What I would do is get yourself a new SD card first and download the latest image from the stern site. Then put this brand new SD card in. Worth a go first.

So I went all geared up to start swapping boards, updating firmware and trying different SD cards this morning and....lights work again. Played quite a few games (Coincidentally got my best score of 458 mil) and turned the game on/off a few times but they continue to work.

I am sure this is just a blip and I'll be back in a week or two saying they're dead again but when they die I'll try the suggested fixes here before seeking further advice, thanks all.

Back
Top Bottom