What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spike 2 Slam Tilt issue

kevlar

Site Supporter
Alias
Kevin Donovan
I've had my Foo premium since last June and it's played flawlessly until yesterday, the day I hosted a league meet icon_evil.gif. In practice while I was playing it the shot sounds stopped playing, then SLAM TILT followed by a full reset. l played again straight after, same again. Now in December/January I replaced 8 x GI lamp sockets that had just exploded so my first call was to lift the playfield and look for a short off any GI socket, straight away found 2 more just fallen apart! FFS Stern quality at its best! I don't think either of these sockets were causing the problem but taped up the loose GI connections anyway. A few games later it slam tilted and reset again so it was turned off for the day. Has anyone else had this issue? I don't think it's an actual slam tilt, there is no slam tilt switch. Also the machine went a bit wonky for about 10 seconds with loss of sounds before the slam tilt message. If the GI lamps falling apart did cause a short I believe the result is normally a message about a short on whichever string is affected, not a slam tilt. There's a thread on pinside about the same issue with no conclusions reached ( a few people have had it happen ).

Sounds like a cabinet node issue.
Does the premium come with a shaker?
No but I added a shaker supplied by Phil. I've temporarily unplugged the shaker and had 1 game this evening which went fine ( it played fine for 30 minutes yesterday after the initial 2 x slam tilts before it did it again ). I'll play test some more, and maybe swap cab node board with another machine tomorrow, see if I can isolate the issue.

Thanks for the reply @Pick Holder

I'd say it was a bug in the operating system.

Have you replaced the SD card with a decent branded one like SanDisk?

Last edited:
Was there not a capacitor kit released to resolve slam tilt issues?
Pretty sure I fitted one on mine when I fitted my shaker.

Was there not a capacitor kit released to resolve slam tilt issues?
Pretty sure I fitted one on mine when I fitted my shaker.
Yes and I've fitted them too, but that was to older versions of the cabinet node board, shouldn't need 1 on Foo Fighters ( I believe). Good shout though, I'm going to double check that. I could swap a cap kit off another machine and try it.

Yes and I've fitted them too, but that was to older versions of the cabinet node board, shouldn't need 1 on Foo Fighters ( I believe). Good shout though, I'm going to double check that. I could swap a cap kit off another machine and try it.
One of the shaker motor kits I installed (supplied by Phil) had the inline capacitor.

It was the pinsound shaker kit.

You could of killed the node if it was supplied and unfitted......

One of the shaker motor kits I installed (supplied by Phil) had the inline capacitor.

It was the pinsound shaker kit.

You could of killed the node if it was supplied and unfitted......
I think all the shakers I've had off Phil have been Pinball Life shakers. No inline caps.

I've had about a dozen games ( and a code update last night ) since Sundays slam tilts without issue. Monitoring.....

Back
Top Bottom