What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

South Park - Carpet Muncher video mode

I TiltAlot

Registered
Alias
Keith
Just saw this thread on Pinside: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/south-park-carpet-licking-video-mode

I have a (hazy)
rolleyes-1.gif
recollection that the South Park pin at the Slam had this video mode on it. I assume the game had some different ROMs fitted. I have never seen this mode before on a South Park. I only managed to get a couple of games on the pin during the show, and of course I couldn't hear any of the sound effects.

I think you had to hammer at the flipper buttons to get Stan across the screen before Cartman (or vice-versa) for some bonus points. Great (non-PC) stuff!

Anyone got more information on this?

It was a pilot rom set and this feature wasn't included in the final release. You can download the rom set from the net and burn. I believe Paul was looking into it for me so I could change my South Park.
smile-1.png

yep, SParky lived at Stan's for a few weeks while he did some tuning/fix-up on it, and he put this ROM in for me. Thanks Stan!

This ROM isn't dramatically different to what it had before, but it does now say a few more rude words, and the carpet munching video mode, while not quite being up there with the best, is better (imo) than no video mode: you are Stan, and you have to munch your way across the screen from left to right, racing against Cartman, to see who is the bigger lesbian and impress Miss Ellen. at the end you hear "i told you what a raging lesbian i am" - Comedy central took offence, so this ROM was pulled before final release, but is still out there for fans.

if you win you get 12M, if you lose you get 6M i think, but it could be dependent on how easily you win/lose. the idea is that you have to hit the buttons as fast as possible, like playing a Spectrum track & field back in the 80s, but there is a bug/feature so that if you time it right you can win every time - as Stan proudly demonstrated to me in his garage
smile-1.png

it is mentioned on this cool Pinball Cows & Easter Eggs page - http://hem.bredband.net/b257182/Cows&Easter.htm#S

i tried a quick google/youtube search and surprisingly could not find even a still image, so if i remember, i'll take a pic next time i'm on the game (unless my score is good and i don't wanna lose it). don't expect some proper NSFW ***** shot though, the carpet looks like a carpet rather than anything else.

this game was at the Slam, and got plenty of plays, but sadly developed a couple of faults while it was there, that needed The Legend's attention (Chef saucer microswitch replaced; trough optos fixed) so i'm sorry if not everyone got a go on it. loads of people slag off SP for being too easy, but maybe that's why i like it
smile-1.png

i will sell it if i get a decent offer, or if i get the opportunity to part-ex/trade it up for one of my Grail pins, but until that happens, SParky is welcome in my tiki hut
biggrin-1.png

All my skill shot targets have suddenly stopped working. Can you point me in the right direction to start troubleshooting?

Thanks to Stan and cooldan for the answers to my inquiry. I thought that I hadn't imagined seeing it.

South Park is my "Guilty Pleasure" pin.
biggrin-1.png
I know that the game-play isn't up to much, but I just love all those great voice calls and the DMD video clips. Who remembers standing at the bar at the 2010 Pinball Party and hearing the SP nearby screaming out "Oh my god, they've killed Kenny - You B@$tard!"
smile-1.png
SP is an excellent Pub/Party pin, I'll probably end up getting one eventually, but I don't think it will end up staying in my collection for very long somehow...

I've checked all the connectors and they seem fine. I'll run through all the diagnostics.

Back
Top Bottom