What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wanted Slightly radioactive material

Biff

Site Supporter
Alias
****a
Yea i know, request like this don't pop up very much. SIgh.. Long story short, i love digging stuff out the ground, the older the better.

I bought a low cost Geiger counter to check some metallic non ferrous compounds i dug up recently, it showed no different to background. But i have no way of testing the counter...

IO bought a Uranium marble that has allegedly low levels of radioactivity, but it does not show up neither.

So has anybody got anything I can borrow/buy or suggestions how i can test this bloody thing please?

Cheers

JB

Try a local school (if they are allowed radioactive isotopes & Geiger counters these days - we certainly had 'em 40 years ago). Advantage is you could compare with a known working one.

Smoke alarm capsule?
The old ones used have a radioactive isotope in them (ionisation sensors) but not made any more, they are all optical or thermistor based. If anyone has an old one (cant miss it will have a big yellow radiation warning sign on the back) i am at infest and will buy you a beer. Obviously if it is in situ and working please leave it alone, or i may have Welephant to contend with... :)

I might have a source for you. Plutonium.
From a group of Libyan nationalists. They wanted me to build them a bomb, so I took their plutonium and, in turn, gave them a shoddy bomb casing full of used pinball machine parts.

I might have a source for you. Plutonium.
From a group of Libyan nationalists. They wanted me to build them a bomb, so I took their plutonium and, in turn, gave them a shoddy bomb casing full of used pinball machine parts.
Did you use it in that car restoration you were talking about? :rofl:

You could try sailing around the coastal waters of Japan.

Uranium glass is a thing that exists, I discovered recently - readily available on ebay, might see some in an antiques shop. And aren't bananas radioactive or something? EDIT: Sorry I see this was already suggested.

I have a mate who is a geologist and collects rock specimens. He will definitely be able to help. DM me.

Found this on the web :-
You can check your glassware or jewelry by putting it under an ultraviolet light, also known as a black light, which converts energy in ultraviolet radiation into visible light. If an object contains any radioactive material, it will glow bright green.

The old ones used have a radioactive isotope in them (ionisation sensors) but not made any more, they are all optical or thermistor based. If anyone has an old one (cant miss it will have a big yellow radiation warning sign on the back) i am at infest and will buy you a beer. Obviously if it is in situ and working please leave it alone, or i may have Welephant to contend with... :)
I was Welephants Boss at Daventry Fire Station so watch your back. The ’Big Red Tusker’ will take you down😉 #glowinthedark

Ionisation detectors. How many do you want? My gaffer would love to see the back of all the old ones we have at the office if they haven't gone already

So…., Itried to be helpful, whilst away at Pinfest & asked the question of my wife back home in Exeter.

She may have misheard the reference to ‘slightly’ as this started to happen outside the front of the house about 3 hours ago and is still going on….😱😂 with at least 5 fire engines in attendance, decontamination units etc.0A741FDC-D1DD-44B7-B306-B2817DC6D359.jpeg

I’ll let you know if they find anything suitable, happy to pass on FOC, but you’ll probably have to arrange collection!

Nick

Attachments

• IMG_0931.MOV
    6.4 MB
  • IMG_0930.MOV
    3.1 MB
There's some old vintage 35mm camera lenses you can buy on eBay for a fiver (or tenner thanks to inflation) which are radioactive, usually the 1970's soviet ones although I think some Japanese ones are too.

Google is your friend. Have fun.

Back
Top Bottom