What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Site Maintenance - latest update - Please Read

Paul

Staff member
Alias
Toibs
Hi everyone,

It's been a long day.

For those of you that weren't aware, I did a software update which seemed to go fine, and started to remove some of the unused add-on's in preparation for an update to the latest version of the forum software. Alongside this, the forum host was looking into a couple of issues that i was having around the speed of some operations.

Anyhow, to cut a long story short, things broke around 8pm tonight. I am still unsure as to what caused it, and have spent a little time re-covering my steps to try to find what the trigger was, however as things currently stand i am still unclear as to the cause.

It's the first real issues we have had here in the last 3-4 years.

Anyhow, the safest and quickest way to get us back to where we were (and i wasnt sure if it would work at the time!) was to restore the software back to the last backup - which was around 5:30pm tonight.

This seems to have resolved the problem, however i will be ultra-careful over the coming days not to break anything, and to note the steps taken. To this end, i will probably set up a few "maintenance windows" over the next few days/weeks to allow me to carry on any outstanding work.

There is some additional work i have requested the hosts to carry out tonight if they are still able at such short notice - i will not be sure until the morning if this will have had an impact on the issues i was seeing or will have broken things again - however that's the risks you take - If you are here and things are still working at 9am tomorrow then things will have gone (to that point at least) according to plan!

I just wanted to apologise - We lost a max of 3 hours worth of posts - however i don't like to loose any.
Please feel free to re-post them again!

Many thanks to those that alerted me to the problem (the issues were occurring real-time...).

More info to come :)

In the meantime, if anyone notices anything thats broken... Please send me a PM (if you can!!)

Cheers
Paul

Paul you do a great job first time I've noticed anything (sure a lot of magic goes on in the background!)
This site is always a lot easier to navigate than many others so what ever your doing it's working

Morning all... Urgh....

As I expected, the PHP update broke things (whilst they did compile php with all the correct switches, they forgot to enable a bunch of extensions...!). All done now, and fingers crossed all should be ok for a while :)

The fact the entire site was dead wasnt what i wanted first thing on a Monday morning!!

Lets see how it goes through the day!

Paul

Since your are doing site maintenace did you know that you should change the site soon to HTTPS as browsers are now reporting websites "Connection Not Secure", Google will proberbly start ignoring websites soon.

Ok... So the latest update...

The good news :
I have managed to locate the Bug/Issue that caused last week's outage. The problem is now FIXED.

The bad news :
Again i have had to roll back to the previous backup, which was 01:06 this morning to make this work.

I am REALLY sorry that this has had to happen again.

Going forwards, i have managed to agree with our Hosts that they will provide some additional Backup space so i can manually backup and Restore BEFORE any future work, so the only time we have anything to fear is if there is a network issue - i can now manually back up at will prior to any manual work :)

Many apologies again, as i do realise it is fekkin' annoying :(

Paul

Last edited:
If you need any help Paul let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back
Top Bottom