What's new

Site chat room?

JT.

Site Supporter
I know we had a chat room before, a long time ago, but it was before this place got really popular. Now there are loads of us, it might be more popular? Maybe just a weekend timed chat room - open from Fri through Sunday? And more integrated to the site too - something that just by logging onto the site, we were straight away integrated in to the chat thing (before, it felt a bit like a completely different site, the way it worked, etc)

Could use good old IRC on the efnet or something?

Until recently I still used IRC daily but it is old technology and not exactly easy for non techies. I spent half my time explaining how I did somethings to other people.

There was a major issue which has been fixed now - All being well i'll open it up tomorrow night :)

Reactions: JT.
Nice work with the chat room functionality @Paul - great that the logon is integrated into the site so we don't have to logon separately. Is the current setup a bit of a test or released into the wild? Looking forward to this on weekend hours, I'm guessing Fri and Sat nights will be fun :) Though maybe automatically clearing the night before's chat content the morning after those days would be advisable :)

Nope - thats it. Basic, standard IRC commands etc. I suspect a few more features to come, however it's integrated and seems to work ok after the initial issues.

Ive disabled the multiple and hidden chatrooms purely because it's a chat room - If you wanna chat to someone in private drop em a PM!! :D

Nope - thats it. Basic, standard IRC commands etc. I suspect a few more features to come, however it's integrated and seems to work ok after the initial issues.

I've disabled the multiple and hidden chatrooms purely because it's a chat room - If you wanna chat to someone in private drop em a PM!! :D

I like it :thumbs: Incidentally, my 4 year old daughter says "good work Paul" ?!?!

One idea, if it's possible and not too hard, might be to have the chat menu button automatically open a second browser window, where you stayed active, but then you don't need to logout in order to view the forum - I know it's easy enough to open two browser tabs, and popup blockers might be a pain, but that might encourage people to just leave it open in the background, hence remain online rather than logging in/out. Regardless, I hope it gets some use.

Two more things - why when you turn on sound does it keep going 'baloop' at you, even when nothing has happened:hmm:? And an auto-logout to avoid the '/quit' will surely be a popular request as time goes by :)

Back
Top Bottom