What's new

Short Throw Projector Advice

JAG555

Site Supporter
Hello,

Thinking of getting a 4k Short Throw Projector for a small Cinema Room I am planning. Due to the design of the room and running cables etc. I think a Short Throw one would be best.

Has anyone got one or has a recommendation for one? I have seen the Optoma UHZ65UST and thought that one looked very good, with good reviews.

Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks!

I've got a 4k optoma.
My only criticism is I got a dead pixel after around 8 months.
Phoned richer sounds who sent it off to optoma.
Who replaced work a brand new one - which has been fine since.

{it's around 16 feet from the screen and the image is around 120" but I think it could go bigger l

No, 16 feet (ish). Probably more like 15 thinking about it.
Not sure how big you would get at say half that but as I said at 15 ish it can certainly go bigger.
Yeah I have a framed pull down screen
I did get an optoma one before this which was ultra short throw and didn't realise. That just covered the whole of one wall and 1/2 the side walls too
😁

I got a Sony 4K Projector (VPL-VW290ES)

Ain't cheap but I wanted a true 4k resolution.

Got 120" projection on a small room.

Throw projection:
1.38 : 1 to 2.83 : 1

I also got it because I wanted to game on it. It supports a modest 27ms latency in game mode.

PXL_20220424_144729615.jpg

If you're ever in my area pop round.

Last edited:

Throw projection:

I also got it because I wanted to game on it. It supports a modest 27ms latency in game mode.

View attachment 167877

Thanks mate, I will probably take you up on that before buying one if that is OK? I will drop you a message later in the week mate!

Throw projection:

View attachment 167877

Plus 1

It is a village hall operation. Initially I joined https://cinemaforall.org.uk/ which is a charity and provides advice plus heavily subsidised equipment rental across the UK.

After I had proved the concept (average attendance 70 plus per show) I used cash flow to buy the relevant kit over time - 2x projectors, big screen, 2x sets of tripod speakers. I lend my amp and blu ray player and they are next on my list to purchase

Booze is integral to the financial model. Magnum ice creams also play a role!

Pre covid we did one show a month, but none over the summer due to lack of ventilation/ aircon.

We now have aircon in the hall so that does open up summer screenings. However a number of the target audience are still anxious about covid so we are planning to resume in Sep/ Oct.

Village operations tend to be an older audience (most over 60)/ monthly/ british films/ judy dench/ benedict cumber/ bohemian rhapsody/ very careful selection of movies to avoid bad language etc

Urban community cinemas have a much bigger catchment so can be quite arthouse/ niche/ weekly

We got a good thing going from zero base and covid killed it stone dead.

That is a great thing to do mate! I bet they all love it for the social side too!

I'm using a

Acer Predator Z650​

in the domino arcade - it should be about 500 quid now and I get 120" from it easy, it has a low latency gaming mode which when playing games is very good and you can put a chrome cast inside it.

I'm using a

Acer Predator Z650​

in the domino arcade - it should be about 500 quid now and I get 120" from it easy, it has a low latency gaming mode which when playing games is very good and you can put a chrome cast inside it.
Thanks, I will add it to the comparison list.

Back
Top Bottom