What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Short Throw Projector Advice

JAG555

Site Supporter
Hello,

Thinking of getting a 4k Short Throw Projector for a small Cinema Room I am planning. Due to the design of the room and running cables etc. I think a Short Throw one would be best.

Has anyone got one or has a recommendation for one? I have seen the Optoma UHZ65UST and thought that one looked very good, with good reviews.

Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks!

I've got a 4k optoma.
My only criticism is I got a dead pixel after around 8 months.
Phoned richer sounds who sent it off to optoma.
Who replaced work a brand new one - which has been fine since.

{it's around 16 feet from the screen and the image is around 120" but I think it could go bigger l

No, 16 feet (ish). Probably more like 15 thinking about it.
Not sure how big you would get at say half that but as I said at 15 ish it can certainly go bigger.
Yeah I have a framed pull down screen
I did get an optoma one before this which was ultra short throw and didn't realise. That just covered the whole of one wall and 1/2 the side walls too
😁

I got a Sony 4K Projector (VPL-VW290ES)

Ain't cheap but I wanted a true 4k resolution.

Got 120" projection on a small room.

Throw projection:
1.38 : 1 to 2.83 : 1

I also got it because I wanted to game on it. It supports a modest 27ms latency in game mode.

PXL_20220424_144729615.jpg

If you're ever in my area pop round.

Last edited:

Throw projection:

I also got it because I wanted to game on it. It supports a modest 27ms latency in game mode.

View attachment 167877

Thanks mate, I will probably take you up on that before buying one if that is OK? I will drop you a message later in the week mate!

Throw projection:

View attachment 167877

Plus 1

It is a village hall operation. Initially I joined https://cinemaforall.org.uk/ which is a charity and provides advice plus heavily subsidised equipment rental across the UK.

After I had proved the concept (average attendance 70 plus per show) I used cash flow to buy the relevant kit over time - 2x projectors, big screen, 2x sets of tripod speakers. I lend my amp and blu ray player and they are next on my list to purchase

Booze is integral to the financial model. Magnum ice creams also play a role!

Pre covid we did one show a month, but none over the summer due to lack of ventilation/ aircon.

We now have aircon in the hall so that does open up summer screenings. However a number of the target audience are still anxious about covid so we are planning to resume in Sep/ Oct.

Village operations tend to be an older audience (most over 60)/ monthly/ british films/ judy dench/ benedict cumber/ bohemian rhapsody/ very careful selection of movies to avoid bad language etc

Urban community cinemas have a much bigger catchment so can be quite arthouse/ niche/ weekly

We got a good thing going from zero base and covid killed it stone dead.

That is a great thing to do mate! I bet they all love it for the social side too!

I'm using a

Acer Predator Z650​

in the domino arcade - it should be about 500 quid now and I get 120" from it easy, it has a low latency gaming mode which when playing games is very good and you can put a chrome cast inside it.

I'm using a

Acer Predator Z650​

in the domino arcade - it should be about 500 quid now and I get 120" from it easy, it has a low latency gaming mode which when playing games is very good and you can put a chrome cast inside it.
Thanks, I will add it to the comparison list.

Back
Top Bottom