What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shaker motor, do i need one

Tombyrne

Registered
I would like to know the effects of installing a a shaker motor on my recently acquired Spider-man.
How does it work, what kicks it in and out, easy to install, worth the money etc.
So far i fitted Mirror Blades ( Thanks Chris), and have an OCD Led board to installl this weekend and want to add a shaker motor if warranted,
Thanks, Tom

Just depends if you like the effect. People I know who aren’t into pins love the shaking and it can really underline the major climaxes, bonuses, jackpots and effects in a game.

It’s the same as in a console games joypad rumble, but usually more intense due to the size of the shakers in pinball cabs.

Lord of the rings is great with one and given the choice I’d have one in most.

It’s not a game changer but a good effect.

I would like to know the effects of installing a a shaker motor on my recently acquired Spider-man.
How does it work, what kicks it in and out, easy to install, worth the money etc.
So far i fitted Mirror Blades ( Thanks Chris), and have an OCD Led board to installl this weekend and want to add a shaker motor if warranted,
Thanks, Tom
I’m indifferent to them but Iron Man is great with a shaker.
Send me a PM when you have installed the OCD board and I will tell you the settings I use which gives the perfect fading effects.

I've never cared much for shakers - besides Earthshaker where it fits the Earthquake theme.... I'm not really sure what the fuss is about.

Some people love em though and seem to fit them to every game possible. They probably like those weird vibrating beds too :)

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

I put one in my TWD and loved it for about 2mins. Then hated it. Its like playing pinball on top of a washing machine on full spin cycle. The backglass and speaker panel vibrated like hell and I had to put in felt padding to tighten all the gaps up. Then ended up turning the shaker motor on to its most minimal usage game setting. So now it hardly ever kicks in and I like it a LOT better. Probably not very good for the machine really.

Lol yeah that's the feeling I get! If I could step back in a time machine I wouldn't have bought a shaker motor.

Haha, there was one in my original LOTR but had not had the right wiring and such. When it vibrated it was like a washing machine and I feared the table would start moving. I spent a while looking for answers and eventually sorted it, was a huge difference and ranged from simple rumbles to shaking for major game stuff. Also my TWD LE with rumble is fine too.

On default TWD shaker setting it just seemed to be shaking almost constantly and revving up to washing machine spin for no apparent reason. Hugely distracting from the gameplay. Knocking it back to minimum setting has been a huge improvement. Now it only seems to kick in on multiball jackpots/multikills etc. I wonder if the shaker motor code on the Pro has been completely over-looked? Certainly seems like it.

The shaker on TWD is fantasticl;) Makes a huge difference on the premium / ltd version. Ties in really well with the Horde mode etc Maybe it's not properly coded on the pro version. Other games can be pretty hit or miss. I like the one in JP. Turned the one in Roadshow off as it was shaking my shed way too much. Have one in AFM and it's nice but not essential. The one in MMr seems pretty pointless. Should probably take the one out of Metallica as it hardly seems to do anything.

If you are itching to chuck money at your pin I'd go down the PDI glass route first, then colorDMD and then maybe the shaker motor route.

I'm one who just doesn't get the appeal of shakers. Sure in RS or Earthshaker to fit the theme then fair enough but otherwise they do nothing for me, theres one in my IM and its never on.

The shaker on TWD is fantasticl;) Makes a huge difference on the premium / ltd version. Ties in really well with the Horde mode etc Maybe it's not properly coded on the pro version. Other games can be pretty hit or miss. I like the one in JP. Turned the one in Roadshow off as it was shaking my shed way too much. Have one in AFM and it's nice but not essential. The one in MMr seems pretty pointless. Should probably take the one out of Metallica as it hardly seems to do anything.

If you are itching to chuck money at your pin I'd go down the PDI glass route first, then colorDMD and then maybe the shaker motor route.
I wasn’t mad on the colour DMD to be honest from what i viewed on YouTube on the SM

Interesting, as it’s the least favourite ColorDMD out of my games.
Shaker integration on SM is a lot better than it is for TRON.

let me clarify - its one of the best improvements over the regular DMD. in my view its a must have.

and agree on GB and TWD for SFMB and Horde.

Neil.

I’m indifferent to them but Iron Man is great with a shaker.
Send me a PM when you have installed the OCD board and I will tell you the settings I use which gives the perfect fading effects.
Hi andy,
Yes please for the OCD settings..it did my head in changing them all! ...so I gave up....!
Thanks, Tom
Love it in mine..if your not in the mood for it ..or the kids are in bed....turn it off!....
Think it integrates pretty well considering it's age....make sure you are on 2.60 game code..when I installed my shaker a while back I discovered I was only on 1.20! How the years roll by! Made a real difference to game play....

Last edited:
Comes on with certain things happen on the playfield such as start multiball or jack pot etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I put one in my TWD and loved it for about 2mins. Then hated it. Its like playing pinball on top of a washing machine on full spin cycle. The backglass and speaker panel vibrated like hell and I had to put in felt padding to tighten all the gaps up. Then ended up turning the shaker motor on to its most minimal usage game setting. So now it hardly ever kicks in and I like it a LOT better. Probably not very good for the machine really.

I put one in my TWD too. Started shaking the machine to bits.

But you can fix that. Take the shaker out. It's got two weights offset on a spindle - fixed with an Alan key if I remember. Anyway, if you look you'll see you can turn one of the weights through 90 degrees. Changes the shake into a smooth rumble. Perfect, it's just right and fits the game play perfectly. Now adjust back to normal or max usage.

Great, thanks! Glad its not just me then :) I'll take a look at doing that.

Just depends if you like the effect. People I know who aren’t into pins love the shaking and it can really underline the major climaxes, bonuses, jackpots and effects in a game.

It’s the same as in a console games joypad rumble, but usually more intense due to the size of the shakers in pinball cabs.

Lord of the rings is great with one and given the choice I’d have one in most.

It’s not a game changer but a good effect.

I agree with spadge, like em as they add a bit of fun

I agree with spadge, like em add a bit of fun
Agree, I have them on all machines that will take one. Only machine I fitted one to that was a waste of time was CSI, it was barely programmed to use it, it only ran when jackpots were hit in multiball, I thought it wasn't working at first.

Back
Top Bottom