What's new

Sold Shadow

Carl Spiby

Registered
For sale Shadow pinball machine, was bought from another forum member in July last year.

I have completely stripped the playfield, everything has been cleaned, playfield has been waxed at least 3 times after being thoroughly cleaned. repaired the sanctum area with acrylic paint, applied a water slide and finally mylar'd over the top, the match isn't perfect but better than the bumpy smudgy mess that was there before.

It has also been re-rubbered, all the inserts are LED, the GI are incandescent as a personal preference on this machine but I have installed 2 spotlights on the slings to attempt to throw more light into the middle of the playfield.

The stand-ups on the N and G targets of MONGOL were some weird red and green things that looked home-made, these were replaced with the correct yellow ones.

Mechanically it's very good, everything works as it should, with the sanctum now being flat, the magnet works really well, I have swapped 95% of the coil sleeves with new ones, the cabinet has been vacuum'd out. The playfield was removed entirely for the sanctum repair but I've routed all the wires in the backbox exactly as they should be from the factory.

The cabinet artwork is very good, only let down by the decals on the head, the DMD requires a small amount of warm-up but works fine, no lines out.

Unfortunately someone saw fit to put a screw through the mini playfield (lower left), it was like that when I got it, but I've now removed it, fortunately its not in a traffic area so it shouldn't matter too much. The left ramp has been welded at some point but its kind of expected with way the diverters slam into the sides on this.

There are a couple of missing plastics around the VUK and the one under the left diverter is broken in two but isn't obvious unless you're looking for it. The screws secure both pieces just fine.

The top bolt holes on the back leg plates are threaded, so you have to use bolts on the inside, not really a problem, easy enough to change but just never felt the need as bolts do the job just fine.

This has been promised for the 8bitflip weekend, I would like £1600 ono.

IMG_20150323_191844017.jpg

IMG_20150323_191755268.jpg

IMG_20150323_191801900.jpg

IMG_20150323_191811037.jpg

Last edited:
Lovely looking machine Carl. Shadows on my hit list but timings wrong for me. Good luck with the sale.

that's a lovely looking example of an awesome game. you really cannot beat buying a game from a real pinhead who has spent hours stripping it down, cleaning, reassembling, tweaking, polishing and playtesting it. people be confident, Carl is good people

I've had a few messages offering trades, problem is I already have a specific machine in mind, so I need the money from this to fund it.

Thanks.

Cool, don't suppose the seller of that is interested in any of the games you've been offered in trade?

Really hope you manage to get this sold Carl. Not played this one (or at least I don't think I have) but I played a couple of Shadows at Play Expo a couple of years ago and it's been on my wish list ever since.

Unfortunately i'm out right now as i've got a honeymoon to fund but otherwise i'd be on this like a shot. Great price too. :)

Shame, I would of traded my WCS for a shadow plus cash……
It's all about timing in this game.:)

Anyway just purchased another game….:eek:

I am in the shadow brotherhood and would say that this is a great player's game. The ramp diverters are superb and add real control as you can divert the balls to return to the left or right flippers. I also think shadow has the most fun and most useable mini playfield of any game I have played

I know that pinball paradise is a dirty expression nowadays, but i got my addams family from it in 1998 for £1,095 ! My addams has been a remarkably reliable game. Anyway, at that time pinball paradise used to say that the shadow was the ultimate game. I think that pinball heaven has always rated it highly too.

yeah, Phil at PH always used to say it was his favourite game.
those phurbas - nothing like them in any other game that i can think of.

yeah, Phil at PH always used to say it was his favourite game.
those phurbas - nothing like them in any other game that i can think of.
think I've got Dan's old Shadow. Lovely game it is too. Nothing quite like that ball lock.
Plays like dog**** if not set-up steep enough though.
And i like the Duck quacking too.

Great game and needs to be set up steep I used to have the front feet as low as they would go and the back as high as they would go

I know that pinball paradise is a dirty expression nowadays, but i got my addams family from it in 1998 for £1,095 ! My addams has been a remarkably reliable game. Anyway, at that time pinball paradise used to say that the shadow was the ultimate game. I think that pinball heaven has always rated it highly too.

Pinball Paradise back in 1998 was Bob Thompson a first class pin head. Sadly he passed away back in 2004. As I understand it the gang that now trade as pinball paradise out of Blackpool are not related to Bob nor were they part of the original pinball paradise company. Just a case of re-using an established company name after the owner has died.

I recently considered trading mine for something else then I had a few goes on it, WTF was I thinking? Shadow is an awesome machine, there aren't many better.

I would love this but my house is on the market at the moment and the prospect of moving 4 pins is enough to make my back hurt never mind 5!

Told you Carl, depending on the cost of new Stern No.1 for me, I MAY have your Shadow off you ;)

Back
Top Bottom