What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wanted Sega South Park CPU Eprom version 1.00 or 1.01

General Zod

Registered
HI,
Just wondered if anyone out there has a Sega South Park with the UK posts in the outlanes and between the flippers that work? CPU version 0.90, 0.96 and 1.03 all won't allow you to turn the posts on even with the UK dil switches set correctly. I think version 1.00 and 1.01 work ok but wondered if anyone could clarify this or have an CPU eprom they want to sell?
Thanks

HI,
Just wondered if anyone out there has a Sega South Park with the UK posts in the outlanes and between the flippers that work? CPU version 0.90, 0.96 and 1.03 all won't allow you to turn the posts on even with the UK dil switches set correctly. I think version 1.00 and 1.01 work ok but wondered if anyone could clarify this or have an CPU eprom they want to sell?
Thanks
Sorry to resurrect this very old thread but I hate starting new threads that might get 1 response at very best.

I’ve just bought a South Park (uk) long story short, turns out all the undated/unmarked roms inside are v1.00. Which still has the “prototype” (0.90 0.96) rug video mode and lesbian call outs present.
Other than the couple of ‘Ass’ curses I’ve read about, I’m not sure what else I’d gain from asking @Paul kindly to burn all five 0.90 voice/sound roms (have bought display 1.01 and CPU 0.96 in error from eBay, as didn’t know what I was buying)
Also updating the CPU rom to v1.03 I’d lose the video mode, I’ve only read about an improved toilet multiball light show?!?

A change log would have been really useful (there’s even one online for the Family Guy changes, thankfully)

When I was doing my PIN2DMD project for SP this time last year, I did spend some time playing both 0.90 and 1.03 in adult and non-adult modes. I can't honestly recall the difference in the callouts (though I know there definitely were some), but flicking through my project files I am reminded of the following differences in the animations:
  • Mr Mackey mode status - 0.90 is a static frame, whereas in 1.03 his head floats up and down a few pixels as the mode progresses. They are essentially the same, but in 1.03 there is movement.
  • Mystery 5M award - In 0.90 the screen reports awarding you 4,999,294,993 points(!), but you still only get 5 mil.
  • Spooky MB - No animations whatsoever in 0.90, just flat "EFFECT 2F" instead of the current status (see below), and "SPOOKY MB AWARD HOOOORAYYYY" text screens instead of specific character jackpots.
  • Volcano MB - I can't find my dumps for this but I'm pretty sure there is either no wizard MB in 0.90, or there are no animations for it, or the animations aren't finished.

1708779834525.png
1708779867516.png

From my limited time playing, albeit furiously for a month or two, 1.03 was definitely a more complete experience. I thought the VM was pants, funny the first time only really, and when it wasn't there I definitely didn't miss it. As for burning roms just for a few extra asses? It's South Park, I think it would be rude not to ;)

When I was doing my PIN2DMD project for SP this time last year, I did spend some time playing both 0.90 and 1.03 in adult and non-adult modes. I can't honestly recall the difference in the callouts (though I know there definitely were some), but flicking through my project files I am reminded of the following differences in the animations:
  • Mr Mackey mode status - 0.90 is a static frame, whereas in 1.03 his head floats up and down a few pixels as the mode progresses. They are essentially the same, but in 1.03 there is movement.
  • Mystery 5M award - In 0.90 the screen reports awarding you 4,999,294,993 points(!), but you still only get 5 mil.
  • Spooky MB - No animations whatsoever in 0.90, just flat "EFFECT 2F" instead of the current status (see below), and "SPOOKY MB AWARD HOOOORAYYYY" text screens instead of specific character jackpots.
  • Volcano MB - I can't find my dumps for this but I'm pretty sure there is either no wizard MB in 0.90, or there are no animations for it, or the animations aren't finished.

View attachment 245327View attachment 245328

From my limited time playing, albeit furiously for a month or two, 1.03 was definitely a more complete experience. I thought the VM was pants, funny the first time only really, and when it wasn't there I definitely didn't miss it. As for burning roms just for a few extra asses? It's South Park, I think it would be rude not to ;)
Awesome response dude thank you, and thank you the coloration of this game. Enhances it ten fold !
As I am currently running CPU v1.00 with display v1.01 and unnamed sound roms which I assume are v1.00 like the CPU rom. This still has the video mode, and I'm pretty sure the Mr Mackey mode is correct too, need to check.

I'm wondering what I'd see/hear differently if I added the 0.90 sound roms to this v1.00 rom as it'd keep the video mode and maybe have more asses? They could possibly be 0.90 sound roms as they're not marked correctly to be honest too.

Are you saying that the v0.90 sound roms can be used for more asses with the v1.03 rom ?

Are you saying that the v0.90 sound roms can be used for more asses with the v1.03 rom ?
In hindsight my last comment was perhaps misleading, I meant it more as a throw away remark about swearing and south park going hand in hand :) As to the practicality of mixing 0.90 sounds and 1.0 rom chips, I'm really not sure how or if that would work as that is well outside my comfort zone.

It's a long shot but if you don't get any good info or guidance from anywhere else, then maybe some of the guys in the VPinMame community could have more info as they probably deal with the rom side of things a bit more than most; there might even be a way to create the mixed rom set you are talking about to try on virtual pinball so you don't have to risk any hardware.

In hindsight my last comment was perhaps misleading, I meant it more as a throw away remark about swearing and south park going hand in hand :) As to the practicality of mixing 0.90 sounds and 1.0 rom chips, I'm really not sure how or if that would work as that is well outside my comfort zone.

It's a long shot but if you don't get any good info or guidance from anywhere else, then maybe some of the guys in the VPinMame community could have more info as they probably deal with the rom side of things a bit more than most; there might even be a way to create the mixed rom set you are talking about to try on virtual pinball so you don't have to risk any hardware.
Oh good thinking dude :thumbs: the wife is playing currently and I've asked her to keep an eye out for Mr Mackey moving around 😂
If the wizard mode isn't on v1.00 then I'll have to move to v1.03, that would just irritate me playing it.

It's only dawned on me recently that my game never plays the audio "Hey there children" "Hey Chef"
When I start a game the music plays then after a short time I hear "Kick the baby" "Don't kick the baby"
I've ran each of the Audio/Sound Rom tests and they each play the test Audio/Sound for the 4 Voice roms U17/U21/U36/U37

I’ve reseated and cleaned legs on all Roms U17/U21/U36/U37/U9/U6 and alternated U7, the game rom and display roms with others I have here. Also reseating all ribbons cables while I was at it.
All still exactly the same “Hey chef, hey there children” does not play despite the LEDs flashing under the characters when they should be heard saying this & the audio ROM tests all work fine still no matter which U7/Game Rom/Display Rom I try.

Could this be something other than a dodgy ROM, with the Sound tests all playing fine I don't know how I'd know which of U17/U21/U36/U37 is the culprit.

@Crewey = if ypu want to see/hear the difference between the rom sets on this game - and even the pin2dmd colourisation, put visual pinball on your computer (if you own a PC) and run it desktop mode.
This way you can see/hear the differences without taking any chances.

@Crewey = if ypu want to see/hear the difference between the rom sets on this game - and even the pin2dmd colourisation, put visual pinball on your computer (if you own a PC) and run it desktop mode.
This way you can see/hear the differences without taking any chances.
Yes mate, this start button callout is standard across all the Roms out there. It’s definitely a corrupt eprom or something other than version related , as the audio tests all work fine it’s hard to determine which is at fault.

Pinside user checked switches manually on his game for me, and this specific call-out is not triggered by the shooter lane switch.

I've explored the sound scripts/fragments using Pinball Browser, via process of elimination due to it not showing specific mapping to where the sounds are retrieved from I believe the "Hey Chef" is stored on U37.

Gutted :(
Bought a new full set of the Audio roms from Pinball-Center (U7/U17/U27/U36/U37) and my game still won't play the game start audio "Hey there children" "Hey Chef"
As I've already alternated the game roms between v1.03, v1.00, v0.96 and display Rom v1.01, v1.00 I've got to assume the issue isn't the Roms which I now have shedloads of 😵‍💫

I have now asked over on VPforums :thumbs:
See what the VP guys say, though this is a very particular and peculiar scenario for sure! Starting that clip must be tied to SOME switch activation (I saw the guy on pinside confirm it's not the shooter lane switch). Are all the trough optos working? Wild theory from me - could it actually be tied to the balls in the trough and an opto going open as the first ball is served (and hence why it's doesn't appear tied to the shooter lane switch)

Back
Top Bottom