What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rosie DMD corrupt?

coastal

Registered
Just switched on BR after a few weeks off.
DMD immediately came up with rubbish on the display. Game, sound, lamps everything else seems to be OK. Have reseated the ribbon connectors, and powercycled a few times but seems to be permanent. display does change a bit according to game play, as per video.
Dont suppose that this is a common issue?

weird. switched on again this morning and the display was working OK. Ran display tests, all OK. after about an hour it just went garbage again.

problem solved. J604 (power header to DMD panel) showed pin 6 at 2.25V (should be 5V). this line traced back through DMD control PCB to J606, and then back to J118. This header I think was just loose. reseating the header here appears to have fixed the problem, and the 5V line to DMD panel is OK again.
My BR manual details J606 connecting to J117 on the power driver board, and J118 is not used, but this is not the case in my table. J118 provides the 5V and nominal 12V line for the DMD, and J117 appears to carry similar down under the playfield, not sure what yet.
this seems noteworthy because the original DMD problem (as per video above) looked more like a chip failure than a power problem, and the pertinent DMD section of pinwiki tend to confirm this. I started thinking it was power related when it mysteriously "fixed itself" for an hour, and also sometimes at bootup I could hear the DMD not quite firing. (the plasma produces a high whistle when it's glowing)

Back
Top Bottom