What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RGB LED lighting strips…anyone else had problems?

Jb3d

Site Supporter
Alias
John
I bought an LED lighting strip to fix as under machine lighting. Tested everything before fitting…worked fine. Fitted it and it worked for about a day then packed up. The eBay sellers were very helpful and gave me a no quibble replacement. I used the replacement kit to check out which part of the system had failed. It was the little IR control box. The strip itself and the adaptor were fine. Anyway new one worked fine prior to fitting, but packed up after 5 minutes this time. Am I doing something wrong? This is the model I bought:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5050-3528-RGB-LED-Strip-12V-Waterproof-Kit-150-300-600-SMD-Adapter-Remote-UK/141299460524?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=440625421951&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Using the supplied power supply?? When you say 'packed up' you mean dead as a cadbury's parrot, or ??? There are you taking the power from???

Yes that little white box is a pita. Installed these all over my bar, some behind fine material stapled to the ceilings, looks great, but have to keep replacing the white units as keep failing, had several fail straight out the box

Using the supplied power supply?? When you say 'packed up' you mean dead as a cadbury's parrot, or ??? There are you taking the power from???
This kit comes with a small transformer which plugs in to the mains and then powers the lights and the 'little white box' controller unit. From @J.C.Rox 's comment it sounds like they are the source of my problem. Thanks all. I'll look for a different lighting solution I think...after two serssions laying on my back fixing the darn strips and then they fail...I'll look for some more reliable illumination!

On that link above you can buy the white box for 8 quid, just get a few spares, some work fine, once the strip is in place its the easiest and cheapest way by far to have remote controlled rgb imho

On that link above you can buy the white box for 8 quid, just get a few spares, some work fine, once the strip is in place its the easiest and cheapest way by far to have remote controlled rgb imho
Yes, I can see that if I'm going to stick with these strips that would be the thing to do. Just a bit concerned about how many £8 boxes I'm going to get through at this rate. One lasted a day and one lasted 5 minutes. I could get through a few £8s at this rate.

How about one of these with a USB plug? Just plug it into a phone charger... Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191910078194

The one I have is actually 5V not 6V and was used as an under cabinet light. I had intended to chop the battery box off and solder on a crocodile clip to attach to the GI circuit. Never got round to doing that so I can't tell you if it would work or not but it seems feasible.

How about one of these with a USB plug? Just plug it into a phone charger... Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191910078194

The one I have is actually 5V not 6V and was used as an under cabinet light. I had intended to chop the battery box off and solder on a crocodile clip to attach to the GI circuit. Never got round to doing that so I can't tell you if it would work or not but it seems feasible.
Aren't most GI circuits AC? I'm pretty sure you would have to rectify to DC for an LED strip like that to work well.

Aren't most GI circuits AC? I'm pretty sure you would have to rectify to DC for an LED strip like that to work well.

Not sure to be honest (I'm definitely no electrician). The under cab lighting strip I have on my Addams is connected that way. I'd have to have a look at it to check but I don't think theres anything more to it.

...actually having said that, maybe the lighting strip connects to J16 and its the swamp light that clamps onto the GI....

....actually yes that's right I think (without looking). But I'm 99% sure that the topper lighting strip also clamps onto the GI. I'll lift the playfield when these kids ever get to sleep!

Ok, had a look. I've got 3 led strip mods on that machine and they all piggyback into J116 and J118. Its the swamp light that clamps onto the GI circuit. So yeah, just buy the USB one....

OK, I'm going with both @RobZombie and @J.C.Rox 's ideas - getting a spare IR control box for the existing LED strips and also trying out the (cheaper) USB powered strips. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom