What's new

Revenge From Mars, replacing crt with flat screen

AlanJ

Site Supporter
Alias
Alan
The crt in my revenge from mars is working but after a while it goes blurry and sometimes even goes off.

I took the unit out to have a better look. very nasty large bulging capacitor on the power area of the circuit board. Clearly needs redoing. Also many other electrolytic capacitors on the main board and the neck board. It’s a big job to do all those.

So as a backup I’m going to put in an Lcd tft.

It looks like there are two options from what I have researched :
1. use a modern panel and some electronics to change the signal.
2. find an older one that natively supports the signal coming out of the p2000 computer

I have some questions.
a. do people put in widescreen aspect or more traditional aspect ratio panels?
b. what size, the crt is 19” and ive seen some older panels with 19” and similar aspect.
c. what electronics are needed?
d. anyone found any panels that work without additional electronics?

many thanks.

Alan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The crt in my revenge from mars is working but after a while it goes blurry and sometimes even goes off.

I took the unit out to have a better look. very nasty large bulging capacitor on the power area of the circuit board. Clearly needs redoing. Also many other electrolytic capacitors on the main board and the neck board. It’s a big job to do all those.

So as a backup I’m going to put in an Lcd tft.

It looks like there are two options from what I have researched :
1. use a modern panel and some electronics to change the signal.
2. find an older one that natively supports the signal coming out of the p2000 computer

I have some questions.
a. do people put in widescreen aspect or more traditional aspect ratio panels?
b. what size, the crt is 19” and ive seen some older panels with 19” and similar aspect.
c. what electronics are needed?
d. anyone found any panels that work without additional electronics?

many thanks.

Alan.

The original pin2k computer is cga resolution. You wont find an lcd screen that supports that.

To use a modern or older vga resolution monitor you need a cga to vga arcade adapter card and one of my cga sync convertor adapters.

For screen size i use 23" widescreen led ips monitors myself. Look great and fills the size nicely, picture is alittle bigger than original but still fits design. Some people like the original size and black border around and use non widescreen 4:3 19" lcd tft screens

Jim there is some mention on the http://www.pinball2000.de website about using an nec multiscan lcd that just plugs in. 1990fx model

So i started looking at the specs for this and then other nec multiscan monitors as couldn’t find that model for sale.
i have found ea192m model for sale on ebay which seems to have same spec in terms of signal input as the 1990fx. whilst they don’t specifically mention they do 15khz cga, maybe they do........

then i found this website. http://15khz.wikidot.com
looks like several monitors may do it.

Jim there is some mention on the http://www.pinball2000.de website about using an nec multiscan lcd that just plugs in. 1990fx model

So i started looking at the specs for this and then other nec multiscan monitors as couldn’t find that model for sale.
i have found ea192m model for sale on ebay which seems to have same spec in terms of signal input as the 1990fx. whilst they don’t specifically mention they do 15khz cga, maybe they do........

then i found this website. http://15khz.wikidot.com
looks like several monitors may do it.

Easier just to use a cga to vga adapter card and then you can use any monitor you like, that are latest models. Not expensive and proven tech for years

My personal view is use original cga crt monitors with original computers systems and use lcd with pinbox systems.

Recapping the original monitor usually fixes them

agreed with all above. yes i feel it’s russian roulette buying a monitor blind that might just work! Having said that it’s £20 including postage, so if it doesn’t work it’s not an expensive mistake. if it does then i have a working machine whilst i take time to repair the crt, and I’m now intrigued to see if it will work [emoji23]

agreed with all above. yes i feel it’s russian roulette buying a monitor blind that might just work! Having said that it’s £20 including postage, so if it doesn’t work it’s not an expensive mistake. if it does then i have a working machine whilst i take time to repair the crt, and I’m now intrigued to see if it will work [emoji23]

Yep certainly interested to hear if it works and we all love a £20 experiment bargain ! 😂👍🏻😎

@AlanJ if you do fit a flat panel display and want to move on your original CRT I would be interested in a deal with you.

Regards,

Chris.

My RFM had a really nice modern illiyama 16/9 that worked perfectly and I actually liked the screen fill. One thing to bear in mind is try get something that has good blacks/highcontrast.
I also had Jim’s full setup in mine it was faultless and benefited from Jim’s new code which IMO enhanced it immensely. A fun hidden gem of a game IMO
hopefully one day someone clever enough will update the graphics slightly to bring it upto date a little further.

Last edited:
Good news. the lcd monitor has arrived and it works perfectly. just plugged it straight into the pinball 2000 computer with a std vga cable and it all works.

put it in the machine by building a frame around it

de656d3142347a3c8794f2e4efc7cb31.jpg

a78e4049c1f035cf131deb31692c92a6.jpg

Good news. the lcd monitor has arrived and it works perfectly. just plugged it straight into the pinball 2000 computer with a std vga cable and it all works.

put it in the machine by building a frame around it

de656d3142347a3c8794f2e4efc7cb31.jpg

a78e4049c1f035cf131deb31692c92a6.jpg

cool, black levels though??

a bit light in the black area. i haven’t messed with the bri and contrast yet though, hopefully be able to improve it. but i’m well happy for £20.

Back
Top Bottom