What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retropie running on Arcade1up

Crewey

Site Supporter
Finally have retropie running correctly on my Arcade1up cabinet, it's the 3rd image I've tried and seems to work in the majority with 5:4 aspect ratio and the controls being saved after reboot.
However I've noticed steering wheel based mame games don't work with the cabinet joysticks. Is there an easy fix for this to map ? I've googled the issue but whenever I start tinkering in Retropie something else stops working hence being on a 3rd different image....

Any help appreciated please

Thanks you

No expert on retropi but sounds like the settings in mame are configured to use analogue controls for steering.

If you attach a keyboard and load up a driving game you should possibly be able to hit tab to open the menu in mame and go to controls at the top which should set the defaults for all games and edit the steering controls, which may not be called that, they may be called analogue x or y or something like that and then remap to the joystick, this hopefully shouldnt effect anything else and may then work for all the driving games.

Just had a look and if you do the above and check the input (this game) and see what they are mapped to in terms of Mame controls (AD Stick Analogue x as an example) there will be an entry for AD stick analogue x and then AD stick analogue inc and AD stick analogue dec, these are the ones you want to map to the digital stick.

I'll conclude this thread because I so often Google an issue, to find a thread of long conversations and debate without conclusion. Should anyone unfortunately end up here too.

When I plugged the keyboard in to attempt the above steps the raspi wouldn't recognize the keyboard, which is particularly bizarre. I tried with other usb devices unplugged and restarted numerous times.

So I resorted to finding a Batocera image instead, as I'd read these are the most straightforward to configure and closest to being plug n play.

Mapped the controller's on emulation station, started a mame game and.... the mapping was fudged. Restarted.Repeated.Restarted. Repeated. Etc... Then changed method.
Mapped emulation station again and chose Mario Kart 64 (N64 having a notoriously difficult controller to emulate) thinking I could figure out what my buttons were attempting to map to. Shockingly MK64 played totally appropriately, quit game, started the mame games I had unsuccessfully tried before. They're spot on.
Thinking this was a fluke I restarted, and the mame games worked.. then I thought well there's no chance Afterburner will work so I'm back to square one ... and Afterburner works.

Back
Top Bottom