What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retraining...

Paul

Staff member
Alias
Toibs
As i mentioned in the monthly update, I'm facing redundancy at the end of Jan.

Whilst i think i'm an awesome Operations Manager (and my team also think so), I dont have a huge amount on paper to back that up.
So to that end I'm seriously thinking about retraining.

Fully Qualified Electrician looks good to me - i have a lot of the basic knowledge.. really need to get up to date with the Regs etc, and get certified... Looking to get through most of it in a few months plus portfolio (Theres a few providers locally/online that can work with those timescales)

Is there anyone out there that is a fully qualified sparky? Anyone that is self employed that might be able to give me an idea of costs post completion to set up your own business or can point me in the direction where i may be able to get any info please? Any pitfalls etc?

Looking initially to do domestic, however would be open eventually to everything.

Once I've done that, might look to do Gas/Plumbing as well to suppliment it!

Any advice/suggestions welcomed!

Cheers
Paul

Good on you, onwards and upwards.
I’m a spark of 34 years ( industrial)
Good choice as there is a distinct lack of quality labour out there and rates are finally starting to acknowledge this.
The Jib rates ( the standard most go by) have just gone up by 12% over 2024/25.

Talking to lads who have left and gone subbying there no shortage of work and they can pick and choose to an extent.

They’re getting between £25/30 an hour.
I’m in Nottingham so that’s midlands rate if you will.
London etc will be higher.

Obviously industrial is a different kettle of fish to domestic but I would strongly recommend you gain some industrial experience as if you become proficient and skilled in an industrial setting then everything else is a doddle!

Hope this is of some help 👍

Carpentry is another good one if you're handy with a saw. Very hard to find here in London and I've got one booked in for Feb. They earn around £700 - £800 a day.

Plastering also, although very hard work. Similar sort of money as above.

Or....there's OnlyFans. Ooodles of cash to be made there. Pinball fetish must be a winner.

I'd consider plumbing/ heating engineer. As I understand it the pay is better than being an electrician.

A mate was in the forces. When they retire they get a training dowry to prepare themselves for civvy street. He used his to train as a plumber.

He now has a firm with maybe 10 guys and fronts the operation in terms of sales and pricing. He spends much of his time shooting amd makes a good living.

He tells me that there is a mountain of future plumbing work ....

1. All the eco crap. Folk changing to underfloor, having to double up radiators to cope with heat pumps, installing heat pumps, government subsidies driving boiler upgrades ....

2. Modern gas and oil boilers are full of technology and sensors that fail. Condensing boilers give far more trouble than older designs. He advised me to leave my 30 yr old boiler in place as long as possible

3. Many modern pipe installations use plastic pipes rather than proper soldered copper. These plastic pipes rely on o rings to achieve the seal and these things are destined to fail

4. Folk want wifi control, so they are upgrading older bi metallic strip type tech to snazzy electronics

5. Modern plumbing stuff is rubbish quality versus the stuff from the 70s, 80s, 80s. Tap quality, ceramic valves on taps fail more regularlt etc etc

I'd consider plumbing/ heating engineer. As I understand it the pay is better than being an electrician.

A mate was in the forces. When they retire they get a training dowry to prepare themselves for civvy street. He used his to train as a plumber.

He now has a firm with maybe 10 guys and fronts the operation in terms of sales and pricing. He spends much of his time shooting amd makes a good living.

1. All the eco crap. Folk changing to underfloor, having to double up radiators to cope with heat pumps, installing heat pumps, government subsidies driving boiler upgrades ....

2. Modern gas and oil boilers are full of technology and sensors that fail. Condensing boilers give far more trouble than older designs. He advised me to leave my 30 yr old boiler in place as long as possible

3. Many modern pipe installations use plastic pipes rather than proper soldered copper. These plastic pipes rely on o rings to achieve the seal and these things are destined to fail

4. Folk want wifi control, so they are upgrading older bi metallic strip type tech to snazzy electronics

5. Modern plumbing stuff is rubbish quality versus the stuff from the 70s, 80s, 80s. Tap quality, ceramic valves on taps fail more regularlt etc etc
I agree completely. Although on the books plumbers/pipefitters earn less than electricians per hour.
If I had my time again I’d be a plumber (which is hard for a spark to say)
There is much more scope for self employed and private work and at the end of the day working for yourself is the only way to make the money…

My neighbour is a heating engineer. Subs virtually all of his work and is never short of a few quid.
Whilst i'm not sure he would take too kindly to me nicking his work... this was part of the reason i was thinking about becoming a sparky and then doing the Plumbing qualifications afterwards... Both sides covered there then, and I can possibly take on any electrical work that he cant do.... ;)

One thing to look out for are the annual accreditation fees. I don't know what they are, but if you have multiple roles you will need multiple annual subs.

Hetas, corgi etc etc

Best laugh I have had in ages, so many untruths it’s unreal

Just spoke to my Neighbour (Heating engineer). Recons Electrics is the best way to go. Apparently there's loads of Plumbers out there... He said he is looking at Solar and EV charging as a mate runs a warehouse and has loads of installers out and about... deffo something to look at!!

Been an electrician now for 18 years, 8 years employed (time served adult apprentice 4 years) and 10 on my own. I retrained at 27 and have never looked back. Not sure how quickly you can actually do that training, you'll need industrial/testing/commercial experience from work to be able to fill your NVQ3 for the full qualification. The NICEIC and NAPIT are not taking on now unless you are fully qualified, ie, C&G level 3, Test and inspect, NVQ3 and AM2, the old quick part p course is no longer any good for being certified. My advice is to get on the courses and get a job as a mate initially. There's no better experience than alongside someone. There are so many aspects to the job that you can't learn on a course. Depends what you want to do of course, house bashing for a developer is probably the simplest thing you can do, but the job is much more fulfilling when you can turn your hand to any aspect of it. Im sure your pinball repair brain will lend nicely to the job though. I often find myself covered in dust, mud, scrapes and tightly pushed into a corner of a tight loft space, so be ready for that.
All the best with it, personally you'll benefit massively if you can get onto a firm as an adult apprentice.

you'll need industrial/testing/commercial experience
Could be interesting - I'm only looking to start on domestic... start with the simple first :D

The NICEIC and NAPIT are not taking on now unless you are fully qualified
Thats interesting - wasnt told that!!!! I was looking at the NVQ3 initially, however the training place actually talked me out of that sale as i was told it wasnt needed..

If ok with you @Supersprint I'll drop you a PM.... I would like to hear the specifics from someone that does the job, rather than someone selling something...

I've been out of work for a few months due to severe back issues.
I used the time to recertify my Network+wireless certs.
Loads of work down south for PAYE + Contractor.
Less hassle than being a spark in commercial I reckon.

Carpentry is another good one if you're handy with a saw. Very hard to find here in London and I've got one booked in for Feb. They earn around £700 - £800 a day.

Plastering also, although very hard work. Similar sort of money as above.

Or....there's OnlyFans. Ooodles of cash to be made there. Pinball fetish must be a winner.
No trades earn £700-800 a day! I’m a construction manager and never heard that.

I would ask "how old are you?"
Do you really think you have what it takes to go and climb ladders for the next 10 years?

Was a sparky for many years.
Still do a bit of commercial but I am out of houses.
The paperwork and testing is now in my opinion a bit of a joke.....

Being a sparky has forked my knees. Mine crack like mad now at 54 and have been bad before covid. I am too young for a replacement.

I also hate heights and going up ladders with knackered knees is no fun.

Paul - have you considered data cabling, and then getting onto fibre optics?

^^^ cable/fibre money ain’t great unless you run your own business.
Some of main outlay would be C&G for course cold cure termination kits, van, cobras, rods, fusion splicers / OTDR, CAD
Installing containment, basket trays etc… is a younger man’s game.
If running your own business use a team to do all the monkey work pulling…. etc….
Keep your hand in doing the design, programme, termination.

You could setup doing a cable company relatively quick.
Couple it with smart hands and hardware install.

Being a sparky has forked my knees. Mine crack like mad now at 54 and have been bad before covid. I am too young for a replacement.
Yep,diagnosed with arthritis in my knees 3 years ago. Went for physio and the therapist asked my occupation.
Told her electrician. Her reaction was “I’m not surprised, 90% of the men I treat are plumbers or electricians “
Touch wood supplements have virtually eliminated all pain.

No trades earn £700-800 a day! I’m a construction manager and never heard that.

Maybe you're in the wrong job then or live in the wrong area.

I've got a carpenter coming in February we've been waiting months for to build two small cabinets. £1,800. Will take two days. Allowing for mdf and screws, they do alright.

Got a plasterer coming Monday to skim a small room ( about 4m x 3m) - £1,300. My very own builder quoted £4,000 for the same job!

My mates are builders and tradesmen. One is coming back from Egypt today from a £5,000 10 day holiday (no kids). Another went to Greece last summer for two weeks as a cost of £16,000 and he's had two more holidays since.

Average loft conversion and rear extension on a 3/4 bed semi is around £500,000 - £600,000.

These guys are booked at least a year in advance and turn down work everyday.

Life is great in 'construction'.

Madness, our plasterer is £200 a day. Great lad too, very meticulous.

This was our plumbers invoice total for fitting a new radiator, he had to reroute under the floorboards from upstairs down through the garage too. Took him a whole day in total.

1704449596538.png

Total Garage Conversion 5m x 3m even down to complete paint finish I didn't touch a thing, including loft ladder and floorboarding.
All labour (x1 bricky/chippy x1 electrician x1 plumber x1 plaster x2 double glazers and ALL materials) I gave the glazers an extra £80 too as the £320 quote for 2 fellas for a whole day seemed mental.

1704449865052.png

Last edited:
That is crazy prices,I'm a bricklayer with a small company but I use a core of sub contractors ie plasterer,roofer, electrician,gas engineer we would only need to do one large job a year at those prices.

I was an electrician and bought/renovated houses until recently, my bro is doing a HMO house at the moment.
Never heard of such high tradesman prices, that’s mental. I worked in London until a few years ago too.

I was paying a chippy £20 for evenings and weekend work, bargain😂

I thought I was getting ripped off when I had my pinroom plastered for £700 which is 8.5m x 4m.
My 3 bed rental cost £11k to totally plaster, walls were bad though and included some new ceilings and new door frames. Couldn’t get that done cheaper.

I'm roughly pricing extensions at the moment between £2000-£2300 a square meter including all materials and trades and that gets you to plastered walls.

Good luck @Paul

I'm starting to look into retraining myself for when I close Tilt, I'm also been looking into becoming an electrician

I think my biggest regret is believing university was the right direction for me, but rubbish luck and I graduated in Building Surveying when the recession hit in 2008 and jobs dried up for graduates

I wish I took a trade out of school and 100% encourage my lad to go that way

I wish I took a trade out of school and 100% encourage my lad to go that way
It had been long drilled into me by the time I left school in 1990, that I had to get a trade.
It was literally become an electrician, plumber, bricklayer or joiner and that’s it.

Back
Top Bottom