What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retirement is it boring

Retiring at 75 is pointless you may as well drive straight to a nursing home from the office.

100% want to be retired by at least 55!

. The other factor is that from 55 to 65 you're likely to be far more healthy than 65-75 or more
If thats the case, I'm knackered as i'm falling apart now, and havent gotten to 55 yet!

I genuinely believe it's down to physical labour... The more you batter your body lifting building materials and the like, the more broken you end up!

If thats the case, I'm knackered as i'm falling apart now, and havent gotten to 55 yet!

I genuinely believe it's down to physical labour... The more you batter your body lifting building materials and the like, the more broken you end up!
Exactly, most trades people are worn out in their 50’s. How many do you see in the pub after work!
I keep saying if I feel like this now (53) what am I going to be like when I’m 65 plus😬
Im a broken man😭🍻

Physical jobs must end up taking a greater toll on your body than sitting in an office. I’m knackered after setting a pin up. I can’t imagine how tired I’d get lugging heavy equipment around all day.
By the time my parents had hit their early 70s daytime naps had become a regular thing. Not many jobs you can get away with doing that apart from working in the House of Lords.

Totally agree with this, I turned 50 this year, and have done manual work in one form or another, all my working life. And in this last year, my body has started to me give issues. Ive spent the last year in and out of the doctors, or hospital. The way things are going, can’t see me being able to work in 10 years time !

Agree with all that's been said,Im 48 this year and I've been a bricklayer for 32 years of them and I could write a list of everything that's sore in the morning but still get up to do it as I still enjoy it to a certain degree.
But I will say this alot of the old brickies I worked with through the years that retired didn't get long into retirement maybe a couple of years before dying it was as if their bodies couldn't adjust and gave up and I'm I'm talking about fit men doing a hard shift right up to retirement so that kind of scares me also.

Sadly I know lots of people who croaked it really soon after retiring including two of my line managers.
The sudden change in stress levels seems to be potential factors. If I’m remembering correctly I think air traffic controller’s are notorious for having really short retirements.

I’m not too certain how scientific this is though as it then ignores death in service.

I’d assume there’s a sliding scale with in work death rates with fishermen and soldiers right at the top (ok, technically suicide bombers would be at the very top of the death in service list but there’s probably limited promotional opportunities in that line of work).

Maybe the stress of mending faults on pins will result in longevity for us all.

I’m fast approaching 50 and as an electrician in an industrial setting I’ve started to feel it in the last few years.

Started with arthritis being diagnosed in my knees. Physiotherapist 1st words were “ahh, an electrician!…. Electricians and plumbers are at least 50% of my patients “

Big believer in, if you stop after 40-50 years your body can’t adjust.
And mentally you’ve just got to keep the grey matter working, inquisitive and learning otherwise it will be an extremely short retirement.

best thing to do is wind down slowly. ie got from 5 days a week to 4 then 3 etc.

if your in a physical job you’ll have no issues taking some daily exercise.

mentally there is tons to keep your mind active. pinball repair! wordle etc. and plenty of mind exercise app stuff on your phone.

I retired at 61, ten years ago. I lasted 6 months before I was bored to tears. Went back to work and then set up my own business. Now I work whatever number of days I want to and earn more than I did working for an organisation. I can take off whatever time I want whenever I want without worrying about leave allowance etc. But I appreciate how lucky I’ve been. If I’d been in a physical line of work I don’t think I’d have lasted to 50!

I retired at 61, ten years ago. I lasted 6 months before I was bored to tears. Went back to work and then set up my own business. Now I work whatever number of days I want to and earn more than I did working for an organisation. I can take off whatever time I want whenever I want without worrying about leave allowance etc. But I appreciate how lucky I’ve been. If I’d been in a physical line of work I don’t think I’d have lasted to 50!
And to me this is still what I consider retirement.

I.e. Being able to get up in the morning and choose what you want to do with your time rather than be compelled to show up at the office or on site or wherever you work and put in the hours required of you.

Some on here have described their retirement as what would seem like work to others eg what collywobbles said and some have said they basically do nothing but chill and pinball.

But they are all in the same boat of actually being able to choose what they want to do with their precious time.

So, really we each need to find what we want to do that will not be boring to us and that might actually look like work to some is actually retirement to others.

Gone are the days of assuming ritirement means the receipt of a the gold watch and settling down on the couch for your remaining days.

semi retired almost 4 years ago when i was 52 , sorta forced on me as i had my own small joinery shop for 25 years but towards the end not making much , paying more in business rates than to myself , so converted my unit into 2 units there by killing the business rates all together renting one out and keeping the other half for myself, i now earn off that one unit more than when i was working 40 hours a week with all the hassles ,to help keep me sane got a part time job that`s usually 2 or 3 days a week , pays for this hobby and other interests, mental pressure completely gone, happy days

An Ex-Boss of mine - REALLY nice Guy, however perminently stressed. Got made redundant following lets say a "massive disagreement" with his boss. Went to work for another telco and hated it, so left.

Took a part time job as a Tesco Delivery Driver. Spoke to him a few months in - he was absolutely loving it! Why? "No hassles, out and about all day, no-one hassling him for x and y"...

Relaxation and retirement is like people and pinball machines - We cant all like and want the same thing as we are all different...

semi retired almost 4 years ago when i was 52 , sorta forced on me as i had my own small joinery shop for 25 years but towards the end not making much , paying more in business rates than to myself , so converted my unit into 2 units there by killing the business rates all together renting one out and keeping the other half for myself, i now earn off that one unit more than when i was working 40 hours a week with all the hassles ,to help keep me sane got a part time job that`s usually 2 or 3 days a week , pays for this hobby and other interests, mental pressure completely gone, happy days
recently been looking to buy a unit to do a similar thing as this. Use half for myself and wind down the day job to 3 or 4 days a week and rent the other half out. great idea.

Finding a unit of the right size in the place is the hard bit!.

recently been looking to buy a unit to do a similar thing as this. Use half for myself and wind down the day job to 3 or 4 days a week and rent the other half out. great idea.

Finding a unit of the right size in the place is the hard bit!.
too true, i was lucky enough to get a mortgage in 1997 knowing that no landlord could kick me out ,plus it wasn`t dead money,my unit was 2200 sq ft before the split ,now the units around me are too big and rarely for sale as they have become pension income for bigger companies

I'm 54 too. I think if you retire early and then find you're bored you (hopefully) still have your faculties to get back in if you've found it was a mistake . The other way around , well you can't turn the clock back
True that,

I did it last year just before my 40th travelling to London Monday mornings in construction 3 hours on a train and come home Friday tea time for 18 years.

I'm in a lucky position just doing my properties now not missing out on my two younger children and not regretting it one bit not enough hours in the day my garage I thought id of sorted out by now is still to be completed.

If you can do it like others say your able to go back to work if you need to.

Yes hopefully be able to make it to a couple of pinball events now as my pinball experience so far is limited to the machines I own.

Reactions: C&C
Boredom is just a lack of imagination. There is always something new to try or go and it doesn't necessarily have to cost a fortune.

Back
Top Bottom