What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Repairing a TZ mod

Durzel

Registered
Ello,

I've got a mod on my TZ which I'm quite fond of, but it's taken a bash in the past from an airball (no idea how) which has cracked the top part of it and more recently when I lowered the playfield after doing some work underneath I think the bulb inside got dislodged or something. If I tap the mod the LED inside comes back on briefly, but a tap from a ball at the bottom or whatever makes it stop working again. If I had to guess it's as simple as the LED bulb inside is slightly loose.

For reasons unknown this mod costs $139 which I don't want to have to spend to fix it.

I was hoping there would be a creative & skilled guy (or girl) on here who I could send this to for them to disassemble and fix, or even reproduce the top part with a 3D printer or something? I have superglued the lamp back together when it first cracked so disassembly probably won't be simple.

IMG_2904.jpeg

IMG_2905.jpeg

Thanks in advance! :)

Acetone (commonly found in nail polish remover) or a nitromethane based debonder will dissolve the superglue (Cyanoacrylate) and allow you to remove the top but both are powerful solvents and will likely melt the plastic too depending on what it is. That said it may be worth seeing how either affects it on an unseen area of the lamp as you might get lucky.

Yea that's the other option. Depending on how much glue you used it may be possible to prise it apart.

I think the issue is with the cost of the piece, no one will want to touch it in case they mess it up. HOWEVER, once inside, its an easy fix I am sure.

I would get a scalpel from your local hobby centre, set aside an hour and a half, remove and on a bench, table or whatever in really good light, trust yourself to take it apart.

Problem is I don't exactly know how it's put together, what parts might have originally been screwed on, what parts should've always been one piece but were split apart by the impact, etc.

You can send it to me and I’ll have a bash at it.

If I cant sort it out i could rattle you up a new one from my 3D printer.. or you could just take a few pics of the lamp post lying on some graph paper so I could try reproducing it

Back
Top Bottom