What's new

Protecting yourself as a buyer

ArrBee

Registered
Just wondering if anyone has advice on how to protect yourself when buying a pin?

I know there are a few different scenarios that will determine what is possible and the surest way is to collect and play the machine 1st before handing over cash, but what about doing the deal remotely?
I'm in Ireland and seeing that most pins are for sale outside of Ireland, naturally :)

Other than buying one from someone who is well known to be reliable, what can be done to protect the buyer?
eg.
-agree price then move the sale to ebay (is there some protection for goods not arriving in ebay?)
-use paypal (does paypal even protect for private sales?)
-some system where the buyer pays equivalent of return shipping up front for it to be shipped to a location that is "safe" for the seller, and the full amount is paid once it arrives. if the full amount is not paid, the seller already has the money to get it shipped back.

Thoughts?

Yes ideally deal in person or if remotely through trusted members on here. Your being based in ROI, another option is to get a local forum member to act as an intermediary perhaps even do the deal and snag it for you.

You've answered your own question :) Go and see it in person and pay cash :thumbs:

Any deal where you're buying based on provided pics and info always has an element of risk which you can mitigate to some level by buying from reputable people but condition is subjective and pins break when being moved so you can't eliminate it. I've imported games from Europe based on a few pics and the way I look at it is don't do the deals if you can't afford to lose the money and go with your gut feeling when it comes to the person on the other side of the deal.

I've bought and sold a fair few games and as a seller I wouldn't want to do any of the things you've listed (accept Paypal payments, go through Ebay etc). Turn up with cash or bank transfer me the money based on the pics and description. As a buyer I generally try and go look at games where possible but as I grew in experience I was prepared to take more risks with the deals I did and I accepted that I could get ripped off.....it's all part of the fun :rofl:

Trusted people like Chris B or go and see it yourself. Personally I wouldn’t involve PayPal or eBay as they are freaking terrible!

Nell

I've bought a few from Ebay, not really had a terrible experience but maybe I've been lucky. I'd certainly think staying within the community on here is a good idea. With Ebay you take your chances and try to see before buying, if thats possible.

I've bought a few from Ebay, not really had a terrible experience but maybe I've been lucky. I'd certainly think staying within the community on here is a good idea. With Ebay you take your chances and try to see before buying, if thats possible.

Oh sorry I wrote that in away that isn’t clear.

If you rely upon the ebay/PayPal protection often you maybe disappointed.

I’ve bought 6 machines of eBay and got bargains on the all in my view and they all where in pretty decent shape.

Neil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Perhaps I should clarify that the risk I would want to protect against is the pin not turning up at all.
I think there are things that can be done to mitigate the risk of condition.

Unfortunately travelling to see it isn't a viable option, neither is collecting in person.

The ebay comment was more around asking the seller from within the community to list and sell at the agreed price + ebay fees to avail of any protection that ebay might offer. (Not sure if there even is any)
Again, its protection from non-delivery id be thinking of.

I’ve bought quitea few.musical instruments from forums and had situations where I’ve been sent bass guitars worth a couple of thousand before any money changed hands - just tobe sure I was happy.

So forums and reputations count for a lot with me.

I’m in Northern Ireland and bought my CFTBL off @Cryptkeeper who is in the Irish Republic. He trusted me enough to let me leave with the game before the money had landed in his account.

On that note - it’s worth remembering that since you are in ROI, transfers to the UK won’t go via the Faster Payments service.

I’ve just bought a Virtual Pin from @Pick Holder and paid him the full amount a couple of weeks ago in the knowledge he was going to add a force feedback system to it and it will still be a few days until I receive it. I’m totally fine with this because he’s a trusted member who is really into building great VPX machines.

CB

I remember buying my first pin. Was absolutely terrified of bank transferring a stranger 1400 quid. They were a forum member though and well known. Another forum member very generously went to look over the machine for me and report back. I transferred the money when Martin was actually there collecting.

There's no easy solution if you're unable to travel. PayPal and eBay will both jack the price due to increasingly ridiculous fees. Best advice if you can't go and get it yourself would be buy from well known forum members.

It’s always a worry unless you know the seller

I’m not certain I’ve ever bought a game face to face. Generally I just fire of a bank transfer and hope. Possibly not the best method

As a seller I really don’t want cash for a 4K game. It’s a PITA as either i have to stash it somewhere or make a visit to a bank which would involve lugging the cash round until I get a chance to eventually get to one

Bank transfer is easily the best method for me

If a buyer wanted to use PayPal or eBay I’d be reluctant to sell.

Not sure where this would leave you. Maybe give the seller a holding deposit before coming over to the mainland for a weekend away when you also pay for the game?

Probably best to stick to the known sellers on here. Normally they can get another member to vouch for them. I wouldn’t think twice about sending cash to a lot of the people on here. Gumtree etc is a different story

Yeah, I wouldn't have an issue transferring to established members here who have good reputation. But being relatively new myself I don't always know who they are etc.
Also other new people on here who may be sellers are often great ppl who just haven't built up a history or reputation yet.

Thanks everyone for your insight. I think the best idea is dealing with more well known members followed by asking if a more well known member might help out by either viewing or vouching for a newish seller.

Back
Top Bottom