What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Practising Special Shots & Skills

Nedreud

Registered
Another one of my curiosity threads: other than playing a game over and over, how do you learn and practice a particular skill or shot?

For example, my VECTOR has saucers in the out-lanes that a draining ball can be nudged into to save it. I wasn't very good at nudging so I took the glass off and repeatedly dropped the ball by hand down the out lane to work out the best force, direction and location to nudge to reliably save the ball without tilting.

So, what ya got? ;)

Play with one handed to get used to dead-bouncing.

Think that's decent advice if anyone's got into bad habits of not doing anything like that , or unless you have flipper tourettes and your ticks can't help but hit it as soon as it kisses flipper.

The only time I'd want to take glass off is for some death saves.

Since watching Craig's vids I've been trying to master the death save. Not a chance. Can't even get close.

Yeah Craig throws that machine around like its a cornflakes box. Mine feel like they are welded down :)

With you on that one, I can push/nudge a game fairly well but moving a game enough for a Death Save I just can't manage at all. I'm not the strongest guy, I have tried it and it is as you say, feels like it is welded down!

With you on that one, I can push/nudge a game fairly well but moving a game enough for a Death Save I just can't manage at all. I'm not the strongest guy, I have tried it and it is as you say, feels like it is welded down!
The surface it's sat on makes a big difference I'm sure, sliding them around is a lot easier on laminate than it is embedded in a carpet depression.

It's illegal anyway so although it looks cool it's not worth stressing over :)

Totally! I guess not the best skill to have since you can't use it anyway, even outside of tournaments. I think the you might get chucked out of your local pub/arcade or whatever if the owner saw you doing it!

:) You haven't got to be Geoff Capes, timing.

Death saves are easier on a modern Stern as they're a bit lighter and I've never been kicked out of an arcade or pub for doing one. You do get some funny looks though.

Sorry, pretend I'm an utter noob (not far from the truth) and run this by me in detail?

Put one hand in your pocket and play one handed, switching hands between each ball :) You have to rely on bounce passes a lot to get control and it also helps with reaction times etc. If you can get good playing one handed then you'll be sh*t hot with two :thumbs:

Put one hand in your pocket and play one handed, switching hands between each ball :) You have to rely on bounce passes a lot to get control and it also helps with reaction times etc. If you can get good playing one handed then you'll be sh*t hot with two :thumbs:
I'll unearth VECTOR from its tomb of Celotex and try it later...

If you want to see what can be achieved playing one handed (and you happen to be one of the best players in the world) then fast forward to 22mins and 15secs in Bowen's Tommy tutorial below and prepare to be amazed....watch out for the one handed death save, f*cking incredible :D

Think he does the same on a Funhouse video, has a bit more trouble on that game though.

Back
Top Bottom