What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Posh Shed connectivity/wifi

Alan Syson

Site Supporter
Shed’s up. 02C462C2-0AC3-4579-B0CA-215CACF59558.jpeg

I’m hopeless at computer stuff and the wifi from the house is a bit stuttery in the garden.
Reading up it seems the answer was an ethernet cable which I’ve had buried alongside the armoured mains cable.
I know this gets plugged into the house router, but what goes on the other end? I presumed another router but I can’t confirm this.
How do I get decent wifi in the shed?
Cheers, Alan.02C462C2-0AC3-4579-B0CA-215CACF59558.jpeg

Who's your ISP?

BT has WiFi extenders that you can plug ethernet into. Or I believe you can buy similar off the shelf.

I think @Neil McRae is the man for network engineering😉

Let start with what you have in the house.
Technically, you can get most network wireless access points to work.
The challenge is that mid way, a mobile device, like your phone, might get confused about which one to connect to and hang onto the one it is with, despite a stronger signal.
I have some cheap range extenders that can be wired but technical are a different Wi-Fi despite using the same name and have the above problem.

I now use Draytek devices and have a wired backbone to Access Points about the house. They all know about each other and help switch the users device when you could have a better connection.

I would've gone for a mesh wifi system (BT Whole Home WiFi Disks.. funnily dnough I have a set of 6 for sale). But yeah you should be able to just plug a router into it.

I had a similar issue with my garage, i ran a long ethernet from the back of the router in the house to another router in the garage. I have both networks saved on my phone and worst case i have to manually switch networks on my phone when out there.

you just need another router with Ethernet and wifi on it. i wouldn’t go UniFi for such a small setup.

If you have run an ethernet cable to the shed, then you just need a wireless access point. No need for another router

One end of the cable in your house plugs into your internet modem/router, the other end of the cable in your shed just plug into a wireless access point. Your devices in the shed will connect the the wireless access point in the shed, and then send the data down the ethernet cable back to your modem/router in the house

If you have run an ethernet cable to the shed, then you just need a wireless access point. No need for another router

One end of the cable in your house plugs into your internet modem/router, the other end of the cable in your shed just plug into a wireless access point. Your devices in the shed will connect the the wireless access point in the shed, and then send the data down the ethernet cable back to your modem/router in the house

Thanks, that’s language this Luddite understands 👍

Back
Top Bottom