What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Police force Dead Flipper

RudeDogg1

Registered
Hi Guys,
Some one has asked for my help regarding a dead flipper on a police force. They have supposedly tested for wire breaks and replaced the coil and diode. I sugested maybe it was a fried transistor or something and to try and short it to see if it fires. Ive had a look on the manual online but the quality of the scan is really hard to read. The switch matrix shows no ID for a transistor and im not famlillia with williams 11A. Anyone have any idea where the location and ID is please?

Check the connectors and header pins its a 50v circuit could be cracked or tarnished.

Have they tested the flipper button for continuity, they can compare readings with the working one.

Check the connectors and header pins its a 50v circuit could be cracked or tarnished.

Have they tested the flipper button for continuity, they can compare readings with the working one.
Enabling the flippers is done by a relay on the CPU, and there are two wires on J19 that are the ground for the flippers so check these are ok. Im assuming all the fuses have been checked as well?

I had a similar issue on a Pinbot I bought, it was years ago but I’m sure in that case it turned out to be a connector in the wiring loom to the backbox - I can’t remember if it was from the playfield or the cab - I’d had to remove the backbox to get the game in the house and hadn’t quite seated the connector properly when setting it back up so if no joy with the board connectors and headers make sure any other connectors are making good contact as well.

Hello,

Police Force would have an Interconnect (circuit) Board below the main Cpu/Driver board, with almost all the wiring between backbox, cabinet and playfield routed through it. Including flipper circuits, as I found when a flipper fault on an Earthshaker burned out one of the traces. With a high-current switching or 'conventional' flipper unit, it should operate if the 'tail' end of the coil winding, i.e. the outer terminal with the plain end of a diode, is earthed, which is what the button and relay contacts do when enabled.

The only concern of the flippers with the switch matrix is the Lane Change/Status Report 'contacts', which in fact are two opto-coupler chips on the Interconnect Board. They've no real effect on the flipper operation.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom