What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Play Expo London

Matt Vince

Site Supporter
As many of you may be aware, Play Expo London is taking place on the weekend of August 11th &12th. Flip Out London are supplying machines for the event and we have a number of tickets available.

If anyone would like to attend the weekend and can bring a machine along, send me a pm and we can make the arrangements.

https://m.facebook.com/playexpolondon/?ref=m_notif&notif_t=group_comment

Will the machines be free to play after paying for entry?

Barring one major fault, the games held up well. There were queues to get on the games all day and the response was really positive from the visitors. It's a bloody long day though!

Just got back from London after visiting the Play Expo yesterday. Fantastic event, spent ~4 hours playing on all of the pinball machines with only a brief break for some freshly made pizza from a van outside, yum :)

Was great to see so many machines in one place, thanks to all involved and those brave enough to let the public loose on their beloved machines.

There were plenty of unorthodox playing styles on show, some people whacking the flipper buttons like a clapping seal. Others thrusting their pelvic regions towards the machine on every shot. Don't get me wrong, I love pinball, but I don't want to make love to pinball ;-)

In my view it was really terrible with the only exception being the Pinball and Video Games arcade - had it not been for that the show would have been totally ****e. The stench in the console area would have had the CDC stumped for years.

It started off bad when they wouldn’t let us in with a bag of maltesers - the wife had them in her handbag as we were going to the cinema after but no external food allowed! WTF!?

Then just seeing the behaviours of folks playing the games - holy ****. Although I think the pinball machines faired better than the abuse that the arcade games took. - having been to a few other locations this one was easily the worst with people hogging machines - I nearly had an argument with some clowns after my wife was waiting ages to play only to find out she was waiting on my own freaking spider-man!!!

Then you try to get something to eat to find out more than half of the vendors had sold out!

There was a long thread about the food nonsense and other crap on the play expo Facebook page and rather than face into that - they just deleted the posts. **** poor.

The flipout pinball area was superb and some stellar hard work by the flipout gang who are probably still working now - without the Pinball area it really would have been crap it was easily the busiest area of the whole show. Well done Flipout London!

And a big FU to play expo who did the least and probbaly cleaned up!

Yep, the pins and vids were generally good and I spent a lot of my day playing Outrun and joining the queue again to try and get to the goal like I could "back in the day". Most people got the idea that you should play a game and check behind you to see if you should move on, with a notable exception of the large guy who played 4 players on Alien by himself and then played a 2 player game afterwards. What was it that caused Alien to have the bonnet up at least twice? I would love to own one but I'd be very nervous about reliability (not that I could afford one anyway).

Same issues with food and drink here. I had packed sandwiches for me and the lad and a bottle of water. I had to throw away the bottle of water and eat my lunch at 10:00. I went thirsty for the rest of the day rather than buy anything from them.

The food thing was OTT. Given you could leave and reenter the venue it was pretty pointless as it wouldn’t have made a huge difference to the food vendors.

The stench on Sunday wasn’t as bad as I was expecting. The size of the venue probably helped compensate for the lack of deodorant

The pins seemed busy at all times.

Came to the sad realisation that I don’t really care about retro video games. I can get a quick fix from my emulator for 5 mins if needed. I’d be more interested in the ****diwn games but god only knows where I would store one of those.

Well done to the flip out guys for setting everything up. When I left at 8:30 they still had several runs to take games back.

Came to the sad realisation that I don’t really care about retro video games. I can get a quick fix from my emulator for 5 mins if needed.

I love the nostalgia trip of actually standing at a Marble Madness, Arkanoid or Gyruss but yes, the games are kind of pants in comparison to what we have these days. I did find myself wondering how much a sit down Outrun is but again, an emulator, steering wheel and pedals and a few hours would probably scratch that itch almost as well.

very busy on the pins, great to chat to all the pinball and arcade peeps as usual, and to see dr jeckyl Tim have a meltdown over pinfest :eek: on Friday night, and practice shirt selling techniques with the always lovely Sarah. Big thanks to all who helped

i went on sunday and i literally just stayed in the arcade & pinball section all day. did not look at any of the other stuff maybe with the exception of saying hi to one of the vendors and played the mini pacman for 2 minutes.

many pins were there that i hadnt seen/ played during my last visit to flipout back in april. i preferred the lighting closer to the entrance so you could see the cabs better which also made better photos/ videos.

big thanks to everyone involved in making it happen.

Only a joke, he was sad that the comp might not be on and I was pulling his leg a bit,

Well done to everyone involved. Sounds like it was a great success, and hopefully some great publicity for Flip Out, and pinball in general

Back
Top Bottom