What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinsound+

Vimtoman

Site Supporter
Anyone have the new Pinsound+ ?
Is this device worth the money?
Does it make a big difference in the setup.

I was thinking of putting it in either a TAF ,TZ or T2

Which one sounds the best out of the three?

FYI I'm playing the TZ more than the other three so I'm sort of biased to the TZ :)

It works well in TZ - and you can put in the music and effects that Chris Granner originally wrote for the game when it was supposed to be a DCS game. WOuldnt recommend it in a TAF though - it just sounds wrong.

It works well in TZ - and you can put in the music and effects that Chris Granner originally wrote for the game when it was supposed to be a DCS game. WOuldnt recommend it in a TAF though - it just sounds wrong.

Great thanks. The TZ is the one I want to put it in.
Is it worth upgrading the speakers?

Here's a video I made a while back of a TZ with a PinSound:

Pinsound makes the machine sound much better with stock speakers. If you put better speakers in its going to sound even better still as the stock speakers are the weakest part of the system. Is it worth it? Probably, if you don't spend too much...

Wow thanks for that. Just ordered one :)

Looking for speakers now.

It's a shame the right speaker hole is smaller than the left.

TZ DCS PinSound mix doesn't have Golden Earring - a deal-breaker for me ?

If it were possible to have identical sound but just much better quality that would be awesome, but changing the sound is - to me - sacrilegious. Yes, TZ was supposed to have DCS sound but it wasn't ready in time, so it didn't, so that's that. ?

Different strokes for different folks though.

Incidentally TZ sounds great "as is" with uprated speakers. The nostalgic sounds with extra bass and depth. ☺️

Here's a video I made a while back of a TZ with a PinSound:

Pinsound makes the machine sound much better with stock speakers. If you put better speakers in its going to sound even better still as the stock speakers are the weakest part of the system. Is it worth it? Probably, if you don't spend too much...
Those outlanes are brutal!

Taf sounds absolutely pants with pinsound
As for tz I think pinsound does very little for that too I have pinsound in my tz only because it came with it and I just run the standard sound package I would not fork out what a pinsound costs for either of these 2 games

If it were possible to have identical sound but just much better quality that would be awesome, but changing the sound is - to me - sacrilegious. Yes, TZ was supposed to have DCS sound but it wasn't ready in time, so it didn't, so that's that. ?

Of course you don't have to use the Chris Granner sound package. You can use the original sounds, or a reorchestrated version. You can load all three on to the Pinsound board and switch between them whenever you want.

https://www.pinsound.org/pinballs/wpc-alpha-dmd/twilight-zone/

:) I guessed popularity wise it would have a 50/50 split.

Different strokes for different folks though.

Incidentally TZ sounds great "as is" with uprated speakers. The nostalgic sounds with extra bass and depth. ☺️

Is the Golden Earring on the DCS version? Does sound odd.

I'm all for better sounding but as close to original as possible.

I much prefer the original production TZ soundtrack on an original board. T2 is the best game for a pinsound in my opinion because of the quality of the reorchestration and film soundtracks available for it. I have all 3 on mine, you can change between them whenever you want just by reducing the volume to 0 to cycle between them.

Listening to the files available I think the original wave files sound a lot clearer than the DCS version.
Being chip music has a clean 8 bit sound.
I think @Mfresh has added his own music :)

Not totally sure about the DCS version. Sounds like someone had cut samples from a longer one as the ends of some clips.
Sounds compressed.

I much prefer the original production TZ soundtrack on an original board. T2 is the best game for a pinsound in my opinion because of the quality of the reorchestration and film soundtracks available for it. I have all 3 on mine, you can change between them whenever you want just by reducing the volume to 0 to cycle between them.

So you think it's better to put it on a T2?

Are these preset for a particular game? The website asks for the name of the pin when ordering.

Last edited:
So you think it's better to put it on a T2?

Are these preset for a particular game? The website asks for the name of the pin when ordering.
Yea definitely T2 for me. The Yamaha FM synth chip on the pre DCS soundboard actually produces great sound imo. The original soundtracks for Pinsound are just a recorded version of that so never going to be as clean.

The files are stored on a USB drive so it's easy to move the board between games, at least that was the case with the original Pinsound boards. I suspect it asks which game just in case you need different cables/fitting kit for different models of machine. There are no differences between the 3 machines you listed though so you should be able to move the board around at will.

Yea definitely T2 for me. The Yamaha FM synth chip on the pre DCS soundboard actually produces great sound imo. The original soundtracks for Pinsound are just a recorded version of that so never going to be as clean.

The files are stored on a USB drive so it's easy to move the board between games, at least that was the case with the original Pinsound boards. I suspect it asks which game just in case you need different cables/fitting kit for different models of machine. There are no differences between the 3 machines you listed though so you should be able to move the board around at will.
Going to try the T2 first I think.
It's had a pinsound in it before so the speakers look updated.
Whats the best sample set to use?

Never seen this before!

Anyone got it?

Got the Monster Mash song on it.

They're all good in their own way. If you look through the pinsound documentation it explains how to format the memory stick with multiple soundtracks. I have the original pre DCS, reorchestration and film ost on mine. You can cycle between them whenever you want, even in the middle of a game by reducing the volume to 0 and then pressing the volume down button again. It plays a short clip of the soundtrack currently selected. Then you can just turn your volume back up and enjoy.

Don't take anyone elses word for it, if you like it then that's enough.

Everyone entitled to their opinion.. I'm very much a purist when it comes to stuff like music and SFX. For me changing the music and sounds, even to reorchestrated ones, would be like redecalling the cabinet with anything other than the original (or a identical repro of the original) decals, or having a “modern" translite.

That said I change all my bulbs to LEDs and that is technically deviating from the original intent of the designers. I rationalise that however as being that LEDs would've been used had they been as widely available then and at a relatively low cost as they are now.

I'm not anti-Pinsound and I'm sure if I heard it in the "right" pin I would be blown away, I guess I just don't think TZ or TAF - in particular - need it, and on those two pins specifically the original sound (Golden Earring, Raul Julia, etc) is iconic.

EDIT: I accept you can use ripped original sounds on PinSound but then you're running low quality audio through a high fidelity system, and at that point it's a pretty expensive mod when it's debatable whether you would notice the difference over just uprated speakers.

Last edited:
I like the sound of the TZ chip so will probably stick in the T2.
The T2 re orchestration background music sounds pretty close to the original and a lot better.
Not sure of the voices on that version.

So, am I right in thinking you buy board, swap board, download software and it's ready to go?

And then can use it in different games like a colour dmd?

And with original speakers?

yup.

I had one in my tom but it wasn't great. Seen it in Dr Who and STTNG and its very cool.

It’s great, rock-solid hardware that’s very plug and play. Quality is solely down to the quality of largely home brew mixes. There are one two put together by people who really know their business and the result is excellent. (A great example is Indy)

Suits movie license or music well for a quality hike in sample rate.

Just got my Pinsound+ and I'm not really sure what to make of it.
I must admit I have stock speakers in. Some upgrades coming.
Plopped it in the T2 and one set of audio sounds on the usb is Ok . Not sure which one of the 4 I put on the usb is the one I like.

I definatly like the stock sound with the original sound board :)

One thing that stands out is the low volume the setup voice uses.
Why is that set so low?

Going to try it with the new speakers and if it still does not click will probably offload it.

Back
Top Bottom