What's new

Pins for Small Houses

ChrisH

Site Supporter
Alias
CHR
So got an RFM and it just doesn't fit in my house - too big for the stairs and it would have had to go up to stay :(

On a positive note a machine has come back from eBay into the community (provisionally sold on to a member for what I paid) so a game is back into the circuit and all I've lost is a tank of fuel and an couple of evenings of my life, happy with that.... Would have preferred a game though

Before I give up, what's a safecracker go for these days? (I'm assuming a lot and there aren't any in the UK) and were there any other smaller games of SC size? (apart from mushroom world)

If not I'll just have to build a 32" VPin with DOF (anyone want a nice-ish 24" non DOF one?) and keep coming to the shows/Tilt to play real games

I'll stand corrected but I think safecracker is a similar footprint to rfm. I'd say they are about £3500. So even with the playfield out, the cabinet can't go up the stairs and round the bend on its ****?

Figured they were pretty pricey.....
It might have just (literally just - RFM is a 66cm at its widest point which is about 0.3 cm wider than the space) gone with a vast amount of scraping of cabinet and house, but at the end it was the 170kg of dead weight in a 1750's cottage converted attic directly above where I sleep that bailed me out of the idea - It would probably have been OK... but....
I'd rather not ruin a game in trying the impossible!

Or just buy a cheap em that you can take apart easily and take it piece by piece upstairs - by the right game and they are a ton of fun if playing fast and responsive!

Or just buy a cheap em that you can take apart easily and take it piece by piece upstairs - by the right game and they are a ton of fun if playing fast and responsive!
Actually - hadn't thought of an EM.... any suggestions on cheap one? Maybe an EM + a more fancy VPin might be a plan

If you want a proper pinball there is no frictionless answer here. Getting a basic game because it is skinny is a bad idea imho. Zacc em games are quite skinny, but I would not ant one as a sole game. If you only have one or two games, you need "staying" power or else you will get bored and the game will sit there unplayed. A worst of all worlds scenario.

Consider taking the head off and getting up the stairs in two pieces. Or even three if you take the playfield out as well. If you are a beginner, do not do this without help from someone who has done this before. Someone on here will help you with the electronics and/ or get it up the stairs if you do not want to do this. I needed to get a very heavy bath up my stairs, so I got a local removal company to do it. What might seem impossible to us is day to day stuff for experienced, strong removals guys with the right gear. You may have to find 100 to pay folk, or bribe them with some lagers but that is life if you want to put a 125kg machine upstairs.

Imho you ought to get a proper wpc era game or something more recent that has some depth. Taking the head off a "proper" game, getting it up stairs and reassembling it is a nasty job, but plenty of guys on here go through some or all of this process on a regular basis

Actually - hadn't thought of an EM.... any suggestions on cheap one? Maybe an EM + a more fancy VPin might be a plan
Single player Gottlieb - smaller 'wedge heads'. Single player easier to maintain and lighter.
Some of the 1970's Gottlieb drop target games have tons of staying power - more than a ton of DMD games I have owned. The hard part is finding them.
Gottlieb parts are plentiful as well.

Back
Top Bottom