What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pins for sale at Pinfest - RULES!

Big Phil

Site Supporter
Alias
OTWBigPhil
Firstly, I encourage pins for sale at Pinfest. They're from the community, for the community. It's the perfect shop window.

Last year, there was a bit disgruntlement about Alien selling so quickly and being turned off for the majority of the show as the new owner didn't want it played all weekend. Which I can fully understand from a buyers point of view.

So, how should we do it?

If someone is bringing a machine to a show, they fully understand the risks involved and usage it will receive. They are able to sell a high value item without commission, unlike eBay which is 15% which is an advantage for the seller.
The buyer has the advantage of being able to easily inspect the machine, play the machine for as long as they like, before making an offer
Any buyer should also accept a machine bought to a show is there to be played, if alot of people sold there machines and there taken off the floor, it affects the overall experience.

Any machine should remain in use for the duration of the show as agreed by bringing it in the first place!

If buyers doesn't like increased plays etc then purchase a machine via other methods, eBay, forum etc.

My two cents 😜

Personally I've never really understood the obsession with owning a machine that's never played. There designed for arcades imagine asking and inspecting how many times an Adams, medivial madness, twighlight zone has been played and then moaning about it. Makes little sense to me.

I own a NITB game and played it 20 times over 2 years, works out at £600 per game 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

If it's been pledged for the weekend then i think it needs to go the full length of the show and then taken back by the buyer. Otherwise the seller will have to revoke the perks that came with donating the pin.

I think it's bad etiquette to expect to use the show as platform for selling (or for viewing pre purchase) and expect it to be turned off post sale. I sold a machine a couple of years ago and it was left on until Sunday night. I would have been prepared to walk away from the deal had the buyer objected.

Agree with the above - sellers should make it clear that the machine for sale is only available at the end of the show.

I agree that all pins should stay on until the Sunday night whether they are sold or not . They are taking up a space if they are switched off . Exceptions , of course , are those that have broken down ( usually mine 😀😀)

Personally I've never really understood the obsession with owning a machine that's never played. There designed for arcades imagine asking and inspecting how many times an Adams, medivial madness, twighlight zone has been played and then moaning about it. Makes little sense to me.

I own a NITB game and played it 20 times over 2 years, works out at £600 per game 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Bring it to Pinfest and we'll put a few more plays on it 😉

I brought a pin at pinfest last year.

Agreed to buy it on the Saturday morning and pay for it after the show when I could collect it from the sellers house a week later. The seller told me that if it developed a fault over the weekend i would be notified and it would be sorted.

The pins in the main hall are there to be played and even though I had agreed to buy it on the Saturday I would never have asked the seller to turn it off.

If you want to purchase a pin thats in the main hall for all to enjoy and don't want anyone playing it all weekend, maybe its not the pin for you, Peoples enjoyment at Pinfest comes first, pinball purchase comes second.....just my view on it.

I personally think that each machine sold at pinfest should involve a small donation to Phils Beer Fund the show. Could never be enforced, so would rely on honesty. It's a small way of giving back to the "shop window" that would be Pinfest.

If it wasnt for Phil and his risk (i put it that way as it's his financial "risk") then there may well not be a show.

If a pin is brought to the show and subsequently sold, it should still be on for the show bar forcing it to work if said machine is literally catching fire (I'd say that was a joke but there were machines that did this!)

When I got the first Alien the provision was that the machine was on for the entirety of the show despite it being a prototype piece of s*** (that I wasn't told about, thanks James). I get that a lot of people don't want games racking up plays and potentially damaging the machine but then I'd suggest you don't buy a game at a show and buy from a private seller instead.

Sorry the whole Alien thing just got me well triggered ><

Like other positing, the machine should stay on when sold. Buyers and sellers should understand that.

Bring it to Pinfest and we'll put a few more plays on it 😉
Oh I don't own a NITB I was being sarcastic 🤣😜. My Ghostbusters has a play count of nearly 3,000 and that was probably hard reset at some point

I agree with things there in the main room remaining available to play.
Or if there are a lot of sales, charge a small fee and have them in a separate area for them to be turned off after sale.

I can see an awkward time if you agree on a sale and then damage happens later on at the show. But I do think you probably need to decide one way or another.

Personally leaning towards "available for sale after the show" or something like that.

Any damage that happens at the show was likely to happen anyway and will be an easy fix. Anything that isn't an easy fix like a mech breaking was going to happen anyway

Unless it's someone not respecting a game or an accident where a cab gets damaged but when does that happen? Usually only enroute 🙈🙈🤣

Kind of awkward if you bring your pin along for free entry to the event and then to immediately sell that pin which is then turned off or even worse for it to be taken away before the show even starts 😳

The good thing is if your game does create a fault, there are a lot of experts there to help diagnose the fault and hopefully get the pin up and running again.

Kind of awkward if you bring your pin along for free entry to the event and then to immediately sell that pin which is then turned off or even worse for it to be taken away before the show even starts 😳

The good thing is if your game does create a fault, there are a lot of experts there to help diagnose the fault and hopefully get the pin up and running again.
Exactly that. As someone who knows little about repairs my biggest worry would be a new purchase breaking. But I can’t think of a better place to be should there be a fault.
So leaving my newly bought machine on until the end of the show would be a good reliability test and not a problem.
The bigger problem would be buying and not having transport or room at home. 😂

Back
Top Bottom