What's new

Pinhaus: Pinball's Alive! - 21st October

Echoing all the above, huge thank you @⁨David_vi and @⁨lecari⁩ for hosting us all and running such an awesome tournament. Huge congrats to Reece⁩ for the win and to Jeremy and Martin too for making up an all EAPA final. AFM was hands down the best battle I've ever had in a final, with all 4 players well into the billions and leapfrogging each other throughout :) looking forward to seeing you all again soon

Thanks to David and Claire for everything they do to put on and host these events. It was a fantastic day with a unique blend of competitive pinball and the social side. It’s such a great format as you get to chat to everyone playing and have your own head to head.

Huge congratulations to Reece @OTRawrior for the win he played some great pinball throughout the afternoon to storm up the qualifying table and go through. The final itself was great to watch with excitement right to the end and @NateG119 showed once again what a player he is to take it to a tie break under pressure in his last ball on Flash Gordon. Well done to everyone who made it through to the semi finals as well. I was personally very happy with how I played throughout qualifying. Unfortunately the curse of having a shocker on the final pin of our semi final (that I picked) struck. After multiple scores of 120m+ throughout the day I somehow managed to start bricking everything. Fishtales can be a cruel beast.

Can’t wait for the next one. Thanks again everyone

Just here to echo the sentiment. Such an amazing day, very well looked after, and surrounded by such a great bunch of friendly people. Never fail to have a good time with the UK pinhead family.

Excitement in the finals, excitement in the qualification zone, and even a fair bit of excitement in the spoon-zone of the table in the afternoon! 😅😂

Cheers all!

Another fantastic day at the Pinhaus. Superb, welcoming and generous hosts, great catering staff and top notch plumbing services!
@David_Vi for for being meticulous in getting the pins ready, not a problem all day long, @Lecari for all the organising and being TD, @lee @ @Jmac for the tasty food and of course all the competitors who came along to make it all round the best haus tournament to date.
Massive congrats to the finalists who showed true class throughout the comp and @OTRawrior for coming out on top in the final playoff on the toughest machine in the line up.
Can't wait for the next one!

I can't say anything that hasn't already been said, absolutely brilliant day, huge thanks to our EAPA mum and dad @Lecari and @David_Vi 😁. Great vibes, great food Lee and @Jmac, another vote for the vegan green curry from me.

I was shocked and thrilled to reach my first finals, they were super fun, played in a great atmosphere, thanks for the coaching tips @PAZ (and @David_Vi !! 🤣). Congrats to @OTRawrior and @NateG119, and a special shout out to Martin who played up a storm all day, great to see after hitting a barren patch, obviously the laser eyes have bedded in!

Hope @David_Vi has the drill out today already...

Another fantastic day for Clare and I. Many thanks to Claire and David for hosting and everyone else who contributed food etc.

Sorry I forgot a few names from last year - I blame old age!

It was really nice to meet the east anglia community again and some excellent players within the group too.

All in all a really friendly meet. Thanks to everyone who was there.

We’ve just arrived back in Leeds. A1 was still closed so we stayed on the A14 and came up the M1 instead.

Thank you so much everyone for the kind comments - and especially to those who organised a very special neon 'PinHaus' sign for our newly decorated pinroom! I really struggled not to burst into ugly tears in front of everyone and feeling quite overwhelmed everytime I look at it today. I really enjoy hosting these events (plus running comps at Pinball Office, and more recently at Medway and the ladies comp at Pinfest), so I am just glad that people enjoy coming to them.

Big thank you to @Jmac who brought Scared Stiff on the day for the competition - it was awesome to have something totally new to play, and it was a big hit!

Definitely my favourite part of the PinHaus events is finding the prizes for the now traditional raffle - everyone who attends has their name on the spinning wheel, and gets to pick a prize. This event had all Flash Gordon themed prizes, and I was pretty pleased with what I managed to find! Prizes included a Flash Gordon soundtrack on vinyl, a Ming the Merciless Funko Pop, and a 1980 annual (and a Pin Gulp!)

PXL_20231021_130048139.jpg

For the trophies - our past PinHaus events, David has created trophies using old pinballs. This time around, I had some USB-powered acrylic lights created instead - I think they worked really well (just a shame I couldn't find any battery powered ones!) - plus I had a wooden spoon made, I found an Etsy seller who will engrave 'any star on a spoon' for you... Not quite sure why anyone would want that, but definitely worked to our advantage as I think it looked really good! The back had Ming the Merciless on it.

PXL_20231021_130037822.jpg

Oh and - never thought I'd be creating special t-shirts to commemorate PinHaus events - big thanks to @PAZ for the idea, as everyone seemed to really enjoy them and had way more demand than I expected! A limited run of just 24 shirts!

Thank you so much to @Kirpan / Lee for making the food, as always - an amazing vegan curry and chilli, and to @Jmac for bringing a chicken curry too. I also bought four trays of sandwiches, made 2 cheesecakes and bought a vegan cake (plus lots of snacks - sausage rolls, crisps, etc) and we had almost nothing at all left!! Thanks too to @Benleigh250 who brought two biscuit trays (again, all gone by the end!). I think that's definitely a sign of good food when people want seconds!!

We also had no game faults over the day, which is a first!, but we did have a broken tap. Poor @Fubar was left trying to hold the tap on while water sprayed everywhere and @Dave Playman tried to fix it and switch the water off! Dave managed to fix our tap and so play could resume, which we were super grateful for!

The whole event went super smoothly - thank you so much to everyone who attended, and for some amazing pinball moments throughout the day. Everyone played 25 head-to-head games (once against each attendee) making it a really social day. Special shoutout to @Kirpan / Lee, who did all 25 of his in the afternoon after lunch, as he was working in the morning! The finals were especially exciting, with lots of nail biting moments. Me, David, @Spandangler, @Doggard and @OTRawrior were all tied for places 6-8, so all 5 of us had a playoff on Flash Gordon (in 2 groups), with top 3 scores going through to the finals - I was thrilled to get through (just)!

We then had 3 x 4 player games, with the first two games chosen by the top 2 players of each seed and the last game chosen randomly. Top 2 players from each group then went through to the finals, which was the same format. The Attack from Mars game especially sticks in my mind, with it all coming down to ball 3 - Martin (player 1) was on 2.1b after a house ball after an amazing ball 2. Nathan passed his score at 3.3b, then Jeremy just squeezed past him - and then Reece, who had started ball 3 on 800m, managed to have an incredible final ball with Total Annihilation and multiball, jumping to 3.7b! Really amazing play and gripping to watch. And, after such an awesome final, @NateG119 and @OTRawrior then had to do a playoff on Black Hole (chosen randomly) for 1st place. Goodness!

Huge congratulations to @OTRawrior for his first win - very well deserved! Well done to @SPLITKING, @NateG119 and @StandUpAndFight for amazing, consistent play throughout the day!

As always - I've added photos to this Google album, so do feel free to add your photos - https://photos.app.goo.gl/KRUGacCsFgCtk1226

Here's the final standings - I have submitted these to the IFPA but they seem to be having an issue with buying credits in GBP at the moment (I have emailed them!):
1,Reece Powell
2,Nathan Garwood
3,Jeremy Baynham
4,Martin Bedford
5,Gareth Shiells
5,Chris Granby
7,Jon Carolan
7,Claire Lickman
9,David Bowery
9,Steven Dale
12,Pete Bennett
12,Jim King
12,Phil Stokes
12,Andy Brock
16,Alan Jones
16,Sergio Olave
16,Paul Woollard
16,Dave Ashton
19,George Bennett
19,Clare Johnson
22,Nick Clark
22,Lee Parkin
22,Ben Leigh
24,Roy Smith
24,Isaac Granby
26,Thomas Calvert

PXL_20231021_134535558.jpg

PXL_20231021_191831692.jpg

Last edited:
That's an incredible write up Claire. Well done to you (and everyone that contributed). Truly inspiring stuff to see how much effort you're putting in, and the quality of the events you're running.
Thank you so much, that really means a lot! I thought a little write up would be interesting for people who couldn't make it so really appreciate that! 💜

As always, takes me a while to recover.

The best Pinhaus yet!

First of all a huge thanks to @roadshow16 for the ongoing loan of Flash Gordon which gave us such an awesome theme (and finals!)

Massive thanks to the East Anglian crew for their huge attendance and domination of the finals but most of all this amazing gift for our (finally) refurbished pinroom
20231022_224554.jpg

Back at Play Expo Blackpool in 2021(?) When we were still new to the comp and community scene we played a flip frenzy organised by @Wizcat , only the next day while at Blackpool Pleasure beach I contacted Paul asking about how to run a comp and also asked @Wayne J about a potential East Anglian league, which at the time wasn't feasible.
So we thought to try run a flip frenzy at our place. Only 3 months later we did our first, fast forward to 3 flip frenzies later we helped run two comps at the new Pinball Office and more recently a league.

Since then we've made so many new friends and built a pinball scene that was almost non existent in East Anglia, bringing new players in (and oldskool enthusiasts like @Spandangler and @Jmac out of the woodwork and into the comp scene).

Of the top 8 yesterday, 7 were part of the East Anglian crew! 😄

I hate to be sentimental but this is why I love this hobby. I love competitive pinball not just for the competition but for the atmosphere at these events, the people make pinball and I feel privileged to have made so many friends since 2019 when I rediscovered real Pinball!

I didn't need to talk about yesterday as Claire covered it😄

I had game issues upto the night before the event with locomotion shutting itself down, an issue I've never ever had on that game. However on the day we had absolutely zero game faults which is a first, usually you get a minor fault here or there at any event!

I'll just say a huge thanks once more to everyone that came and made the friendly and fun atmosphere we've become known for. Those who brought food @Jmac & @kirkpan
Jmac for Scared Stiff and allowing me to open outlanes, tighten tilt and remove rubbers 😄

@Fubar and @Dave Playman for being plumbers.

Already thinking about our next event sometime in February 🤞🏻

Fantastic stuff, great write up Claire. Well done to you and David for everything you have done in East Anglia, it's amazing the effort you guys go to and how each tournament grows to be better than the one before. The whole Flash Gordon theme was amazing and I was delighted that so many got the chance to play my pride and joy, hopefully there was some joy had in playing it (I'm sure some cursing too 😂).

Just as a little snap shot of the impact of these events, the pinball office, the whole comararderie in your region. I remember speaking with @Jmac at Pinfest in 2022 when we were watching @Gonzo put in his huge qualifying ticket in the competition. @Jmac didn't put in a ticket that year, said that the competition stuff just wasn't for him, but was really enjoying following along. Fast forward a year I caught up with him at the UK Open and he was putting in ticket after ticket, absolutely buzzing about the whole event and just loving competitive pinball! Somebody who had been into pinball for years, but it took a group of you to come together and create a fantastic scene for this love to come out, it's inspiring stuff.

I will make the pilgrimage to the pinhaus one day, I promise 👊

Last edited:
I can't say anything that hasn't already been said, absolutely brilliant day, huge thanks to our EAPA mum and dad @Lecari and @David_Vi 😁. Great vibes, great food Lee and @Jmac, another vote for the vegan green curry from me.

I was shocked and thrilled to reach my first finals, they were super fun, played in a great atmosphere, thanks for the coaching tips @PAZ (and @David_Vi !! 🤣). Congrats to @OTRawrior and @NateG119, and a special shout out to Martin who played up a storm all day, great to see after hitting a barren patch, obviously the laser eyes have bedded in!

Hope @David_Vi has the drill out today already...
Brilliant, consistent play all day and happy to help where I could ;-)

Back
Top Bottom